Copied. Without my permission.

Raven Firethorn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today someone, I won't name names, copied my avatar, my profile to include picks and most groups. An almost exact copy, then went to a club to impersonate me. And, I assume try to ruin my reputation. I filed a report with LL but seriously are they even going to do something about that. And how on earth was that even possible to do in the first place?

I took a look at your profile and it looks like you turned everything off.

As to why someone would want to copy your avatar .. wow.  I saw the profile pic and it is smoking.

I had something very similar happen to me quite a few years ago.  I just laughed it off and took it as a compliment.  It didn't matter if it was a joke or someone trying to be malicious, in either case someone made the effort and spent the money to impersonate me.

I don't know why someone picked you.  I would guess they wanted to be seen as you probably because you are popular, attractive and they think you have an advantage they could somehow capitalize on.  None of that matters because anyone who knows you will know the copy is NOT you.  They may fool a few people for a little while but I doubt they could keep it up for long.

Impersonation is contemplated in the TOS 6.1 (ii), but as to whether Linden Lab will in practice do something about it, the only first-hand answer you’re going to get is from them, not us; if all you wanted is a guess, mine is that they’ll dismiss it as a childish prank unless she tries doing more serious things than just “look at me, I’m her, haha!”, and is repeatedly reported for whatever scams she tries.

As to how it’s done, most of the things you say are beyond trivial to duplicate, and the few that aren’t, if both of you are keen shoppers, she can likely identify the avatar parts, and then she can go and buy them. Quite honestly, and as Rhonda said, whoever spends significant money to mimic anyone else’s sophisticated avatar has more than a few loose gears; I would almost pity her. At any event, what she cannot replicate is your username... the display name, yes, but not the other one; and once that difference is noticed, her own reputation stands to loose far more than yours by going to such extreme lenghts just because of a kindergarten dispute like “you’re wearing the same clothes!”.

In other words: let her hang herself.

If it was everything you were wearing, including your skin and shape it's possible you were copybotted. There are certain viewers that can allow someone to copy everything you are wearing.

It's still a thing. Something similar happened to me about two months ago. Long story short a "friend" wanted to hang out and show me their new house. So I went over then she started acting weird, not talking, kind of just standing there. Fast forward a couple of weeks, I go to a club and I'm camming around and the host looks like me....but it was her....but it was me wearing the same outfit I was wearing that day. I freaked out a little, because it's a weird feeling. I im'd her "I like your new look, it's kind of familiar" and she logged out.

It definitely can happen. If you type in "sl copybot" you can see it done on YouTube.

I was angry at

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.