Scams on the SL MP

Miko Kuramoto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just wondering, is anyone from LL monitoring the scamming on the mp or is it user policed? I bought something that was not as advertised, and left a bad review to warn others, but, apparently reviews are turned off (it doesn't show).  I started digging around, and I see many, MANY copies of skins, etc not made by the original creator being sold at either very high prices or very low prices. It's a shame this is allowed to continue, and I'm out L $1500.

Ouch sorry to hear your out 1500L. It's an expensive leason. Unfortuntly not much can be done. I see copied things on mp all the time. Perticurly older freebies that people have for sale for 50 or 100L. I stay away from those. Often times if you do a search for something you may find the same item diffrent prices diffrent venders. Thats where you have to look carefully and shop smart.

If you click the flag icon on any marketplace listing you will see that infringing IP rights is only one of a number of options that you have for reporting a listing to Linden Lab. If as you say it was different to what was advertised you will find that is the very first of the options.

Just a note- your own personal review may not show up on the product until you go back to the main store window and view or search for the product again. So far as I know there is no way for a user to block reviews on a product nor delete them without relisting the item, and marketplace is just a little slow in updating reviews sometimes.

And no matter what I think it is important to flag and report any item you come across as being misleading. A problem I suspect happening is that creators are more often the ones to flag items (like for inappropriate listing info) than many consumers. If more people reported things more (and not just for personal gain) I think Marketplace and it's managers would look more deeply into scams than they possibly are now.

Thank you for your suggestion about flagging, forgot about that. I am pretty careful about buying from the original creators, this one completely threw me off mainly because of the high price - i usually see the rip-offs much cheaper. Anyway, thanks and hopefully someone will also be warned :)

Facts:

1. LL doesn't care about copybotting. Reporting to them ripped stuff does absolutely nothing because more stuff listed on marketplace = more customers = more $L spent = more $$ for LL. You can be optimistic and say LL is a bunch of caring individuals but you're only fooling yourself. If they actually remotely cared, then you wouldn't see 3,357,238 blatant copyright violations littered in the marketplace that are years old. Intellectual rights? Lol wut's dat har durrrrr. More money pls

2. LL DOES care about negative reviews. They work together with shopkeepers to remove any negative reviews from products, regardless of whether or not the review is constructive. I've had reviews removed where I complained the product is low quality, contains false advertising or even missing items. They're basically just following Apple's footsteps in the Appstore. Negative reviews = less customers = less $$. The moment a shopkeeper flags a negative review, rest assured LL will remove it

So:

1. Always try demos

2. Never buy anything too expensive on marketplace because it might fail to deliver (no redelivery on marketplace, and some shopkeepers are a-holes so they won't redeliver), turn out to be a scam (there were cases of people selling empty boxes), or have completely false advertising

Don't expect negative reviews to have any effect on their business because a) most people won't bother reading reviews before buying and b) you have the awesome LL stamping out negative reviews.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.