New Beta Viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Flip Idlemind wrote:

Second Life: Now with FEWER features
o.O

I worry a little about that too. Shopping being a to change my outfits and appearance is some of the things that got me really into Second Life. It seems like the only thing it has going for Newbies now is social interaction, that is all they can do. We will have to see how it goes.

I just down loaded the new Beta viewer to try it out.  I think it's a step in the right direction for new users, the only thing I see missing form what's is presented to new users are missing help info on using gestures, sound and volume control, and the help section should all so have the directions on how to turn on advance mode.  In it's current form I thinks it's good for the first hour or two for new users, maybe more if they just want to have a look around.  I think it might be good to have a second level of basic mode that has learning and help sections for basic building , shopping, buying and renting land, and how to set up your computer and avatar to deal with lag. 

My first and only thought was, since I logged into the advanced mode, "Great... they still have the sidebar."  Yes, it's a big stickler for me, sorry.  Though now that properties doesn't open up the darned thing, it might be a bit more tolerable.

Basic mode is just that.. very basic.  Chatting, moving and a lot of Linden selected avatars and destinations.  Building is not an option with the most basic.. and I have no idea if it scales with use or not.  If it doesn't there has to be some sort of intermediary or we're going to wind up with new residents going from Basic and "ZOMG, WHAT IS ALL THIS?!" 

It'd almost be better if LL granted us some ability to tailor the viewer to how we use it after the training wheels come off.  Or give us a few more modes with some options thrown in.  I could see a Social mode, Build mode, Shopping mode, Land mode, and then Advanced mode that has all features active at once. 

Each mode, except Advanced, would have the tutorials and let the viewer suggest possible in world lessons that are tailored to the mode.  Have some features take the lead, while others might be backseat or turned off all together.  Shopping, for example, might need build tools, but only for adjusting/placing their purchased items. They probably wouldn't need the "create x" tool at all.  This would allow new residents to try new tools without being overwhelmed by them and they can do it at their own pace, while remaining within their comfort zone.

Easing new residents into SL might be a good way to raise the retention rate.  But going from one extreme to the other?  Not gonna work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.