Selling content from SL to the other grids...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like a check box in mine & everyone else's profile that gives us permission by the profile owner to export our own paid for prims to the other grids.  Or on each prim an addional permission check box that allows the export of that prim if and only if the avi is the owner of the prim and the prim has copy permissions.

The market outside of SL has potential - I'd like to take advantage of that. 

(and besides ... if SL gets sold I'd like a safe place for everything I've paid for.)

Kaiser Bogomil wrote:

I would like a check box in mine & everyone else's profile that gives us permission by the profile owner to export our own paid for prims to the other grids.  Or on each prim an addional permission check box that allows the export of that prim if and only if the avi is the owner of the prim and the prim has copy permissions.

The market outside of SL has potential - I'd like to take advantage of that. 

(and besides ... if SL gets sold I'd like a safe place for everything I've paid for.)

I kind of like this idea Kaiser, but I fear it won't be used by many. I think most Merchants would rather sell it again in the new Grid.

However, with that said, the best way to submit this suggestion is to create a JIRA Feature Request. If you're not familiar with the JIRA system, you can log into it HERE ... and then read its help from the main "Dashboard".

Pep wrote:

Do vendors in SL licence the objects they sell to allow this? Pep (would be surprised if they did.)

Some do Pep, but when other grids started appearing many updated their terms to state items are for use within Second Life only, if you contact  a merchant some will come to an arrangement with you.

Of course, this assumes that people would leave if given a choice and ignores (or at least downplays) the possibility that some may already be choosing other grids over SL because they know they cannot re-use elsewhere what they create here. IRL, free trade tends to benefit the established industrial countries over the smaller and less developed...

• 1 month later...

Conlaoch Gustav wrote:

I doubt they will ever support this. The other grids are SL's competition - they *don't* want to make it easy for you to migrate over there.

It's not that I don't want people to use my creations on other grids. I'd be honored if they did. It's just that there is no practical way to achieve this.

I would have to re-create my content with the exact same permissions on all OpenSim grids out there and hand my customers a copy when asked, always trusting them that the name they gave me really is their own account and not that of a friend. Either that, or they would have to export the content themselves, which is only possible by circumventing SL's permission system. And that is in violation of the ToS.

It is up to Linden Lab to pick up where they left off in their OpenGrid efforts and make it possible for both accounts and content to be used across multiple grids, without altering the item permissions in the process. Although the latter is probably impossible.

If Linden Lab ever makes some sort of intergrid delivery like this possible... and reasonably secure & simple to do... count me in. I would like to offer LOLO goods elsewhere as well, but as things currently stand, there is too many impediments and complications.... it is easier just to make entirely new content if selling elsewhere.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.