So...

Sassy Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, let's discuss this little word, it's an adverb, a conjunction, a pronoun, an interjection and an adjective but nowhere can I find it said that it should be used in place of a capital letter!

What's with everyone beginning sentences with "So"? Look around the forums, "So..."

It's not right, stop it, just stop it right now! Next people will be replacing full stops with exclamations all over the place as if to overly emphasise their point!

So, I totally understand how it can get annoying!

Its also important to remember that language evolves and as long as people understand whats being said its ok!  People use "so" at the beginning of sentences alot anymore and its fine as long as you get your point across to the person your talking to!

Sassy Romano wrote:

after all it's Friday

Sassy Romano wrote:

it's Friday

Sassy Romano wrote:

Friday

The best part of Friday is around 2:30 when it's too late to start anything big so you hang around the break room drinking coffee and chatting while you send the interns and contractors to do the little stuff.

And speaking of segues, I was once told Friday's wern't THAT casual ...

So what do you have planned for the weekend?

Well, over the last couple years I've been noticing the use of "So, " by people being interviewed on the radio. One fellow started nearly every response that way. I think it's become a bit like "um" and "you know".

I probably overuse "Well, ", but when I do use it, it's sometimes to suggest that the following statement is the result of careful deliberation (that's a lie, but what you don't know won't hurt me) and sometimes to suggest that the person I'm responding to doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. Sometimes, I have no idea what I'm trying to suggest.

But, I do know where I learned to use "well"...

I'd have to rate this so so on the bug me scale.  It's poor writing but not everyone has received a good education.  It could be worse.

True story:  A women went to the store and bought one item priced at 4 for $1.00.  The cashier and another clerk were known by her as college graduates, obviously working there until something better came along.  The cashier rang up the item as $0.44.  When my friend told her she was wrong, the girl said that she was right because it was 4 four/$1.00!  The other clerk then picked up a calculator to find out what was correct. 

If I were their parent, I'd send their diplomas back and demand a refund from the college.

This reminds me of a "discussion" I had with a sales clerk at a local market years ago, where avocados were priced at $0.59 each, or three for $2. I purposely grabbed one more avocado than I needed to make guacamole, just to test the system. She charged me $2.00.

Me: "That's not the right price."

She: "It's ringing up 3/$2".

Me: "Right, that's wrong. They're $0.59 each, so the total is $1.77".

She: "No, ma'am. The total is $2.00".

Me: "So I'm being penalized for purchasing the third avocado?"

She: "No ma'am, you're getting a better deal by purchasing three."

Me: "Could you explain how my spending $2.00 for three avocados is better than my spending $1.77"

She: "I don't want to argue with you, would you like to speak to the manager?"

Me: "Yes, I believe I would".

The manager was called over. To make a long story short, he agreed that I was getting a better deal buying three avocados. I refused to pay $2.00 and suggested that they ring me up twice. First buying two avocados and then buying one. They were happy to do so.

I'd have walked away proud of my effort, except that it was clear they both thought I was stupid. And that's a conclusion I can't dispute. I had just purchased one more avocado than I needed, made more guacamole than I could eat, and then ate it all anyway so it wouldn't go to waste.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

This reminds me of a "discussion" I had with a sales clerk at a local market years ago, where avocados were priced at $0.59 each, or three for $2. I purposely grabbed one more avocado than I needed to make guacamole, just to test the system. She charged me $2.00.

Me: "That's not the right price."

She: "It's ringing up 3/$2".

Me: "Right, that's wrong. They're $0.59 each, so the total is $1.77".

She: "No, ma'am. The total is $2.00".

Me: "So I'm being penalized for purchasing the third avocado?"

She: "No ma'am, you're getting a better deal by purchasing three."

Me: "Could you explain how my spending $2.00 for three avocados is better than my spending $1.77"

She: "I don't want to argue with you, would you like to speak to the manager?"

Me: "Yes, I believe I would".

The manager was called over. To make a long story short, he agreed that I was getting a better deal buying three avocados. I refused to pay $2.00 and suggested that they ring me up twice. First buying two avocados and then buying one. They were happy to do so.

I'd have walked away proud of my effort, except that it was clear they both thought I was stupid. And that's a conclusion I can't dispute. I had just purchased one more avocado than I needed, made more guacamole than I could eat, and then ate it all anyway so it wouldn't go to waste.

Gaaah! I used to teach high school, and often wondered in what universe some students would ever be able to hold a job. Supermarket checker was the only one I could think of. Guess I was wrong.

Probably only one of those burger joints that have cash registers with pictures on them with a small number keypad  They just punch the picture for each item.  Take your money enter the amount you gave them and it tells them what change you get. But watch that they punch in the amount correctly. lol

If you really want to bamboozle a young cashier give them $1.01 for a $0.51 purchase.

I fell so-so about the whole thing. Let's sow some wild oats instead.......

Sassy Romano wrote:

So, let's discuss this little word, it's an adverb, a conjunction, a pronoun, an interjection and an adjective but nowhere can I find it said that it should be used in place of a capital letter!

What's with everyone beginning sentences with "So"? Look around the forums, "So..."

It's not right, stop it, just stop it right now! Next people will be replacing full stops with exclamations all over the place as if to overly emphasise their point!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.