If it's not broken don't fix it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today is my 5th year rez day on SL.
I rarely feel the need to air my views in any forums but wanted to make a few statements today. I tend to find an online atmosphere (I hesitate using the word ' game ' here because I do not view SL as a ' game ') I like and stay with it.  I stayed 10 years at the place I came to SL from.
The ones I have been on and watched as well as the majority of great idea in the world have one common flaw. People try to fix things that are not broken.
SL took off like a rocket and and gained and gained popularity. In 2007 (bring back 2007!) it ws amazing in SL.I can't point my finger. I don't who to point it at, but sometime after that we started getting all these...wild ideas...and the infrastructure started to chip apart. Instead of fixing what the people liked using and making sure it was working optimally, they would give us shinies. "Chat not working? Here, have another new button you can push!" Lag unbearable, here is a new toy to use!"
SL got popular for a reason. People liked it! They liked what was offered. As time went on and we had more and more shinies and less and less of what people liked that was not broken, people started to not come to SL as much. 
t broke my heart to watch as we were handed more and more shinies and the things that enticed people to come, fall in love with SL and stay started to crumble and fall apart.
But thats ok! They gave us a new way to name avatars!  The old way worked! People loved it BUT someone decided it needed changed. 
I have seen many many changes in Sl and few have been as ill conceived as this one. I am expecting any minute to see 1234567890John1234567890 Resident. (and yes I know that many letters would not be allowed.) Sl goofed big time on this one. 
IMO if people wanted their names changed, LL should charge them to change it. Marriages ceremonies are one of the most lucrative venues on SL...hardly a week goes by that I am not invited to a wedding. Jane Doe marries John Smith...charge her to change her name to Jane Smith! Next week she marries Bill Brown...more money for SL!  Don't like the stupid name you gave yourself? Charge them to change it!
We DO need new fresh ideas to maintain popularity and draw new people but please fix the things that made SL popular to start with THEN give us shinies!
In closing, thank you for reading my ranting and who knows, maybe next rez day I'll feel the urge to air my pent up rantings again!
Have a wonderful day in SL!

2007 was so magical here. It's when I got here, and there was so much to do and so many places and people to do it with. It really was a second life then, and it actually felt almost as full at times.

Then, like anything people enjoy, some tweaker nanny orgs like the ones that brought us such helpful PSAs as Dungeons and Dragons = the Devil's Spawn, Ozzy Ozzbourne IS that Devil, and Breakdancing Causes Complete and Utter Dementia, decided that LL and all of us were EEVUL DEWERZ who must be stopped and the resulting paranoia took the "your imagination" right out of it. That, and the inexorable march towards being little more than a video telephone app with the voice and other genuine (faux) improvements.

Meanwhile as you said, many of the performance and other problems that existed in '07 but were overshadowed by fun are merely standing by themselves now. Completely exposed with nothing to hide behind.

By the end of '07 I had something like 80-100 friends who I actually saw on a regular basis, each and every week, most multiple times. Now, of the people who are on my list who actually still have valid accounts (maybe 15), I only see 3 logged in every week. And two of them are RL sisters whose avies are also sisters and roommates.

The acronym K.I.S.S. works here too. People didn't come here to be blown out by RL drama and complexity, and don't want it.

You forgot to mention the Zindra fiasco. I feel like that, above anything else did a lot to destroy, our happy little world. I didn't come here until 2008 and even then it was a magical place... you never knew what you'd run into. Now you have to worry about anything you do... "OMG am I gonna get ARed because I feel like walking around my 'mature' land nekkid?" "OMG am I gonna get banned because I feel like have slex with my SL boyfriend on my back porch?" "OMG is some AR nazi gonna report my profile because I belong a few questionable groups?"

The whole feeling has changed. Once we were a community looking out for each other; helping each other out; learning and shaping "our world" with "our imagination". Now it's like everyone is so paranoid; and rightly so.

Marketplace will delist your stuff at the drop of a hat... and don't get me started on the forum moderation. No one knows what will get them in trouble next. The feeling that you can do what you want, say what you want, be what you want (as long as you're not an @$$hole) is long gone and I don't see it coming back any time soon.sorry-053.gif

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.