PIC: The Next Generation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Venus Petrov wrote:

It is time that we PICards start a new analogy.  One that is independent from any other 'entity' basking in it's fading glory.  This one will more closely reflect our spirit and intent.

Since we already have a 'Prime Directive' :

(this forum) should become a place where people can confidently play and disagree without being disagreeable. We seek to recruit more kindred spirits to make coherent arguments regarding the conduct of the forums to Lexie and her Mods. If we are successful then I am sure that we will be able to enjoy ourselves and develop the interest of lurkers and new joiners in participating confidently and comfortably.

I propose that we embellish the Star Trek analogy with some new visuals.  I propose that we use the USS Enterprise crew metaphorically to emphasize the POSITIVE of posting constructively, yet retaining enough of a sense of humor to keep people interested in reading and posting to the forums.  Those supportive of this can add the image to their badge.  No pressure, just fun.

As we have the attention of the Moderator Team, we need to continue to demonstrate our support of the type of forum we, as residents, and they, as staff of LL, can work with and sustain for the benefit of everyone who wants the same.

I am open to all suggestions; I was thinking a PICard rank image: a bald, sexy one for males, Deanna Troi deep cleavage for female - and redshirts for disposable alts.  I am not sure how create these images, or if they would be effective; like I said, I am open to all suggestions. 

So we are 6 pages in and the directive has already failed.

So far it appears that the PICards, which is way to close to PICtards for my liking, will be a group of self-deluded a$$ kissers who will, in their deluded state, deny that they engage in actively demeaning others because they are prone to do so, but instead cite such activities as crusading for righteousness and righted behaviors from the non-PICards? 

It is starting to smell to coffee in here again. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ima:  I f you don't stop using logic, I see a spanking in the near future. :)

Ima Rang wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

It is time that we PICards start a new analogy.  One that is independent from any other 'entity' basking in it's fading glory.  This one will more closely reflect our spirit and intent.

(this forum) should become a place where people can confidently play and disagree without being disagreeable. We seek to recruit more kindred spirits to make coherent arguments regarding the conduct of the forums to Lexie and her Mods. If we are successful then I am sure that we will be able to enjoy ourselves and develop the interest of lurkers and new joiners in participating confidently and comfortably.

I propose that we embellish the Star Trek analogy with some new visuals.  I propose that we use the USS Enterprise crew metaphorically to emphasize the POSITIVE of posting constructively, yet retaining enough of a sense of humor to keep people interested in reading and posting to the forums.  Those supportive of this can add the image to their badge.  No pressure, just fun.

As we have the attention of the Moderator Team, we need to continue to demonstrate our support of the type of forum we, as residents, and they, as staff of LL, can work with and sustain for the benefit of everyone who wants the same.

I am open to all suggestions; I was thinking a PICard rank image: a bald, sexy one for males, Deanna Troi deep cleavage for female - and redshirts for disposable alts.  I am not sure how create these images, or if they would be effective; like I said, I am open to all suggestions. 

So far it appears that the PICards, which is way to close to PICtards for my liking, will be a group of self-deluded a$$ kissers who will, in their deluded state, deny that they engage in actively demeaning others because they are prone to do so, but instead cite such activities as crusading for righteousness and righted behaviors from the non-PICards? 

DQ Darwin wrote:

Ima:  I f you don't stop using logic, I see a spanking in the near future.
:)
Ima Rang wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Do I get to choose the spanker ?

DQ Darwin wrote:

Yes, but I get to watch There are rules. Okay I will work on a Prime Directive. Should be able to copy and paste most of it there are enough of them floating around.
;)

Oh good...we can be the HICs or the LICs or maybe the HICLICs since we have some preference for Honesty and Logic.  I can't get on board with the PICards, I'm not a Star Trek fan nor do I have any desire to turn SL or the SL forum into the virtual Oprah Winfrey meets Dr. Phil show.

Do we need a mascot?  My dog isn't doing anything useful with his time.

DQ Darwin wrote:

@Ima HICLICs or maybe HLICs it has a "Greek" ring to it. Your dog can have the job but be careful how you ask. I tried with mine and they ran away.
;)

Well, I guess I could ask the cat to do it, but she is busy writing a new software that counts posts that contained the letters X and Q in them posted on days of the week that start with M.  I hate to disturb such important work, ya know?  She is more likely to give me the paw for asking anyway.

DQ Darwin wrote:

@Ima Somehow this pic pops into my head with the added caption of just letting this whole thing go to the dogs.

Oh have you noticed the "spanking " volunteer?

Grump

Hahaha...that looks like my cat.

I bet if you said you were going to have to beat me, there would have been a whole bunch of volunteers.

Ima Rang wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Thanks for your post, Ima.  What would you like to see in the forums?  What in the Prime Directive can you not live with or support?  I would like to hear your constructive suggestions, Ima. 

Ima Rang wrote:

DQ Darwin wrote:

Yes, but I get to watch There are rules. Okay I will work on a Prime Directive. Should be able to copy and paste most of it there are enough of them floating around.
;)

Oh good...we can be the HICs or the LICs or maybe the HICLICs since we have some preference for Honesty and Logic.  I can't get on board with the PICards, I'm not a Star Trek fan nor do I have any desire to turn SL or the SL forum into the virtual Oprah Winfrey meets Dr. Phil show.

The acronym is just a tag, you can call yourself whatever you wish.  Keli has made plenty of badges..pick one or more.  My interest is in your constructive suggestions to making this the type of forum you would like to participate in. 

Venus Petrov wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

DQ Darwin wrote:

;)

The acronym is just a tag, you can call yourself whatever you wish.  Keli has made plenty of badges..pick one or more.  My interest is in your constructive suggestions to making this the type of forum you would like to participate in. 

I like the fun and witty exchanges we are enjoying in this thread, now. The building of friendships and community through humor. 

Your interest in suggestions is probably going to get this thread moved to Community Feedback now...Maybe if you start a similar thread there, they will leave this one for us to continue to enjoy?

You are sure it's "dumbing down" that your doing. I think we should vote. Oh it's gin and tonic.:)

Pep wrote:

@Dee: Sorry, is "maturity", at four syllables, too long a word for you? Pep (refuses to dumb down simply because the Ladies Who Lunch have over-indulged on their martinis.)

Ima Rang wrote:

I like the fun and witty exchanges we are enjoying in this thread, now. The building of friendships and community through humor. 

Your interest in suggestions is probably going to get this thread moved to Community Feedback now...Maybe if you start a similar thread there, they will leave this one for us to continue to enjoy?

Enjoy away.  If they move it, so be it.  They do not need to move it to read it.  yay.gif

Venus Petrov wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Enjoy away.  If they move it, so be it.  They do not need to move it to read it. 
yay.gif

True...but I suppose they will remove all of our "off topic" posts in this thread and it will just fade...like the rest have...sighs..

Ima Rang wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Enjoy away.  If they move it, so be it.  They do not need to move it to read it. 
yay.gif

True...but I suppose they will remove all of our "off topic" posts in this thread and it will just fade...like the rest have...sighs..

Each thread fades in its own time.  No need for sighs.  This is true of all threads in all forums, whether they are here or elsewhere, about SL or something else.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Thanks for your post, Ima.  What would you like to see in the forums?  What in the Prime Directive can you not live with or support?  I would like to hear your constructive suggestions, Ima. 

Sorry, I got a page ahead an missed this post. 

I think the Prime Directive has holes as has been proven by this very thread.  What some people decide is constructive behavior can easily be construed, or misconstrued, as destructive behavior.  The Prime Directive therefore becomes subjective and the objective gets lost. 

My constructive suggestion is that we pay heed to these words that my father shared with me many moons ago...mind you he borrowed them from one of his favorite authors:

Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful, rebellious, and immature.

Tom Robbins

I think that particular quote played a keen role in who I am today.  I think, also, that you don't have to read it too many times to realize that SL itself came to fruition based on that very philosophy. 

My suggestion is that you ignore the people that you don't like, reserve comment if you are afraid of repercussion, or jump in feet first if you have something to say...but don't try to turn the residents/participants of this forum, of SL into a group of grid/forum Stepfords that will bring nothing but sameness and stagnation to an area of the intewebs that was built layer by layer on a foundation of diversity of interest, personality, etc.  

In other words, take me as I am or don't take me at all.  Ignore me, if you must, but don't tag or label me. 

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

The lithium post count does not reflect posts to the off topic forum.   The software I designed, and for my personal consumption, allows me to understand exactly my post count totals.  The Lithium software contains the factual errors.

Furthermore, your usage of the word  'substantially' to support your statement is a factual error; as I do not consider <10% a 'substantial' number - unless we are talking about margin of error when tossing hand grenades or horse shoes.  

PS My software and consultation on its implementation may be available, at no charge, to anyone that requests.  

Again I point out that you are not adhering to the letter of your Prime Directive. Your reply to me is laced with an air of anger, yet I did not attack you. Under the terms of your Prime Directive, your response should have been one of positive acknowledgement and gratitude, along with an even-handed explanation of the discrepancy.

Storn, only you set the tone of your responses. You are the one that posted the Prime Directive and thus should be the one to hold the torch aloft for others to follow. Please, you are causing great disappointment amongst your followers by your failure to demonstrate how best to implement those brave bold words.

PS: If I manage to decrease my expenses by 10%, that is a very substantial savings. For some people, 300 posts is a lifetime's worth. I suppose for some, 300 posts is but a days activity here, but to most the number is very large. It is, in the end, relative to one's personal POV.

I can't help you here Darrius.  I wrote unemotional facts in response to your request.  

Infer all the anger or love of your choosing - doesn't matter to me.  I stated facts; unemotionally.   

PS sends you love and kudos for pointing out whatever it was you where attempting to point out. 

(btw .. you owe me a nickel)

Storm Clarence wrote:

I can't help you here Darrius.  I wrote unemotional facts in response to your request.  

Infer all the anger or love of your choosing - doesn't matter to me.  I stated facts; unemotionally.   

PS sends you love and kudos for pointing out whatever it was you where attempting to point out. 

Perhaps this is where the disconnect between your perception and that of others occurs. By your statement above, you wrote your reply with an unemotional voice. However it appeared on the page as one charged with an air of hurt feelings and ... dare I say it  ... puffery, almost aghast that someone might accuse you of making a mistake.

I'll not dispute your assertion though, that the lack of posts in the Off Topic forum accounts for the discrepancy between your stated "over 3K posts" and the number shown on your badge. I am though somewhat startled that you would amass that many posts in this one particular forum in the very short time it has been open. However, that is neither here nor there ... because as you've so clearly stated many times, this thread is not about you.

What I saw, and from the replies of others I was not alone, was an air of superiority expressed not through clear statements of fact and jovial banter, but with a tinge of entitlement and disrespect for the views of others. As much as this new PIC Prime Directive is about ensuring an equal and beneficial forum for all to participate, expressions of overt superiority run against that goal.

I do believe that no person or participant here should be above or below any other (with the obvious exception of the Mods of course), but in order to ensure that it is promoted properly and with the best hopes of success, the manner in which the promoters present themselves must be extra clean and extra clear in exemplifying that sentiment. Therefore I call on you again, as one of the visible leaders in this stated drive to provide balance and fairness to all, that you carefully re-examine your means of posting replies ... and perhaps listen to myself and others when we share what to us are valid concerns and observations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.