When do I lose my Linden home if I don't renew?

MsMagick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Q: I got my Premium Account (for one year) on 10/4/2014. At exactly what time will I lose access to my Linden home if I don't renew?

I'm moving anyway, but am thinking about whether I can have a party there on 10/3 or 10/4, as 10/4 is also my rez date. I'd hate to lose access and all of us get booted during a party.

I've never had to renew before so don't know if it happens at midnight the day before, midnight the day after, or at the exact time I got the membership, or when? Is there is any sort of grace period?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

Well, first of all, you don;t need to renew.  That's automatic.  See the TOS, Sect. 4.3: " ... if you have purchased or redeemed a subscription-based product or service, each time your subscription comes up for renewal, we have the right to charge your credit card or debit your account the then-current renewal rate plus any applicable taxes we are required to collect, and you authorize us to do so."  So, your Premium membership will continue unless you specifically UNrenew by telling Linden Lab now that you want to cancel it. (Go to your dashboard at secondlife.com >>> Account  >> Cancel Account to do that. )   Because your membership is prepaid, it will remain in effect until the end of the period you have already paid for, on 10/4/2015.

Now, typically, that means that you have until the end of the day at midnight SLT.  I wouldn't put money on it, however.  I don't know of a public statement from LL that says you have until midnight SLT.  In fact, 10/4/2015 might mean "sometime during that day on 10/4/2015".  This past year, I released a region that I had been paying for and it vanished sometime during the day we had agreed on -- not at the end of the day -- so it seems that midnight isn't always the cutoff time for LL actions.  On the other hand --- Does that make three hands now? --- I also know of people who forgot to cancel their Premium memberships and were still allowed a little "Ooops!" time to drop it after their membership renewed.  So, the answer is ambiguous.  I suspect that you'll be OK all day on 10/4, but who knows?  If you don't feel like taking the risk, plan for having your party in a public park instead.

• Like 2

As Rolig says, your membership renews automatically, and your payment method gets charged.

If you are determined to drop your Premium membership, you can do so at any time.  Your membership will stay in effect UNTIL THE END OF YOUR CURRENT PERIOD.  But of course, to do that you have to sell any mainland and/or abandon your Linden Home.  The system won't allow you to set up a downgrade until you've taken care of that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.