I'm so confused, and pretty upset, any constructive advice would be appreciated

Gilais

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi for the second time today. I do appreciate your advice.

Earlier I noted that my account had been tampered with. I followed the advice given to report it, and it is being investigated.

I now find that  a complaint has been made against me (I think for spamming), and I'm locked out of my account altogether.

I don't know the first way to go about spamming someone, or why anyone would do it, or what it's even for. Plus, during the time the apparent misconduct was happening, I was unable to log in. That only changed after I came here and was given advice about how to change my password, and report the issue (Kudos again for the information :) ).

Now, here's the thing that has me confused: My housemate logged in on her account to go to my home base to explain the problem. While there, she was told that my avi was there, on the sim! How is this possible, since at that time (as now), I was unable to log in?

I'm also worried now in case my personal information, including cc, has also been compromised, and really don't know what to do except cancel my account. I really don't want to do that since I have met some really genuine people (those not so nice I happily ignore), here,and enjoy coming to SL.

Just to make things even weirder: The person who I apparently "gifted" all my $L to, I do not know, and have never had any dealings with. I have never, ever, given log in info to anyone, and the only things I've accepted have been free gifts from bonafide vendors. I know someone will probably say that's not possible, but I give you my word, in this case, it is so. I'm saying this only because if this is an, as yet unknown, potentiality here, we are all at risk. I hope it proves to be something less sinister, and will gladly announce it if it turns out to be something I inadvertantly did to enable the take over.

I don't know if I'm permitted to give the name, or the region from which this intruder is from, but am happy to do so if it is.

Sorry for the looooong post, but there's no one else to tell, and I needed to tell someone.

Cheers all

Edited to undo the jibberish

1 answer to this question

I doubt that you have been locked out of your account because of spamming.  If you followed the procedure for reporting that someone may have tampered with the account, Linden Lab will automatically lock the account while they investigate.  (See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Password-and-account-information/ta-p/700017#Section_.5 )  You should expect to be unable to log in for a few days -- maybe a week or more -- until they track down the bozo who messed with you.

It is worrisome that your friend saw your av on the region.  I suppose it's possible that Linden Lab brought your av in world long enough to test something, but I can't imagine what that would be.  I suggest submitting a followup to your support case to report your concern.  Just go to the Support Case page again, find your open case in the Case History, and add to it.  And then stop worrying.  Once Linden Lab has locked the account and started investigating, nobody else can get into it.  They can;t do any more damage than has already been done -- and they may be able to reverse that damage.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.