Phishing Links Alimola send out by avatars at ballrooms, clubs and open social places

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last night I got a link from a 'friend' asking me to please like his page.

The link was: alimola1.5gbfree.com.

It send me to a dummy SL login page, from where it showed some stupid pictures.

Unfortunately as the link was coming from a friend I trusted the login, with as a result, I had to change passwords and block my credit card.

After checking the alimola site, there was a warning that the site is used also for hacking SL accounts.

Hence my warning, NEVER login into any link, even it comes from a so called 'friend'.

They roam around in clubs, make friends, give you the feeling they are very trustworthy.

Or in short: Start having some common sense.

- The strange look of the link should have made you cautious.

- Most people on your friendlist aren't people you would actually consider to be "friends" in the original meaning of the word. Do not grant them the trust, a friend in the real world, who you have known for years, would deserve. And lets be honest here: I bet you haven't known this person for long, right?

- And....holy crap....the moment you opened the fake link, all alarm bells in your head should be ringing loudly. The link did not even try to fake an association to Linden Lab or Second Life and yet, you wondered not for a second why you should enter your account data on some strange website you have never been to?

Syo Emerald wrote:

Or in short: Start having some common sense.

- The strange look of the link should have made you cautious.

- Most people on your friendlist aren't people you would actually consider to be "friends" in the original meaning of the word. Do not grant them the trust, a friend in the real world, who you have known for years, would deserve. And lets be honest here: I bet you haven't known this person for long, right?

- And....holy crap....the moment you opened the fake link, all alarm bells in your head should be ringing loudly. The link did not even try to fake an association to Linden Lab or Second Life and yet, you wondered not for a second why you should enter your account data on some strange website you have never been to?

Not to mention that Google *immediately* nails that link as a phishing threat, with a huge warning on a red background. Of course, I'd not rely entirely on that kind of warning; even a link that goes through without trggering a software alarm has to be treated with caution*.

*And I stress, caution, not the abject paranoia of 'never click on any link from anybody, ever' that we read so often. Random link sent via a group? Could well be dangerous. Out-of-the-blue link from friend with no context? Treat with caution. Link sent during chat with old friend? Probably safe, but *do* exercise common sense. 

JenniferMay Carlucci wrote:

@ Kelli May, there was no warning for that link! And yeah, the moment I saw something else than SL page, the alarm bells went of like hell!! again, Even with 'friends'you have to be careful! Just, unfortunately again, just a warning!

It's also possible your 'friends' account was compromised having on a prior occasion been succesfully phished.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3137 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.