So, what is so great about the mainland?

Trewd Acer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im not very social person but i still like to be part of the big world with people in it. Mainland has history and historical locations. I love to be able to take a comfy bicycle ride from home to the big sandboxes or just set a boat or train to travel around slowly and look at people's builds.

Border crossings seem to get better and better all the time. Nowdays when i travel from one end of the continent to the other, i get unsat from my vehicle about 0 to 2 times. Couple years ago i crashed on every third border crossing and often had to relog to get out of the limbo.

Nowdays i buy only parcels that are expensive because of the pretty location. It only hurts once to buy the expensive parcel with some water on it. But after that it hurts less to pay the tier when i know i atleast have a good place. And land in expensive parts of mainland also seem to stay pretty. People usually dont buy expensive land with water if they only need to rez some ugly mall or something.

There are still some problems in mainland, but i guess the worst problems will go away or atleast get more rare over time. Maybe some day the banline people move to islands to get the privacy they clearly love. Or maybe LL create zindra alike continent for the banline people and force them to move there or take down their banlines. Maybe some day LL invent a technical soution to prevent people from re-rezzing their builds as temp over and over again to go over their prim quota. Maybe some day we get technical solution to prevent some parcels getting full of random junk. Maybe some day people realise it is not polite to build eyesore stuff to ground level.

Even with the current problems mainland have, i think it is still worth it. With some effort i can find nice places to live in. That one neighbor still seem to love laggy stuff like physical toys jumping around but i rather suffer from higher phys time than live in lifeless island with no access to other places.

• 2 weeks later...
Re: So, what is so great about the mainland?
[ New ]

04-08-2011 05:36 AM

On mainland I pay tier directly to Linden Lab, when they decide to close shop, it is game over for everyone. I have seen friends move several times because the landowner decided to cut his or her losses. This did not only affect the people that had land on the private sim, but also the community that was starting to grow on those sims.

I have an almost total freedom to build on mainland. I find that if I respect my neighbours, they respect me and my view is quite good. There are some ugly buildings in my line of sight to the sea, but nothing a row or two of trees can't solve.  I have a pet that moves freely in the house and some animated birds. Things that are cringed about by sim owner bc of the lag they are supposed to create. None of my neighbours complained so I can keep them on mainland.

My time in SL is devided into a lot of things, I tend to time travel a lot in SL, RP-ing and fighting in sims that have a fantasy, medieaval and antiquity theme. I also listen to music both in settings with formal and informal dress codes. My mainland home is outside of all these. It is a place where I am plain old me and not a squire, ancient warrior or dandy gentleman. If I had to look for a home in one of the places I visit reguraly I would to have to adapt my style to the style of the sim I am in and stay in character much longer. The sims that are only about landownership are too much like suburbia to my feeling.

As do many who've posted, I like the fact there is almost no limit on creativity. I've nothing against themed regions and I spend plenty of time in them, but I am happy to live on the mainland. Yes, I have some issues with some of the things that get built close by, but I knew it would be like that. I like that there are no zoning laws. No Neighborhood Councils. No real rules. It's true my house is completely conventional, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing what others come up with.

I like surprises. Mainland is fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Great about the mainland? Probably Blake Sea, though needs even more expansion imo. Besides that, maybe a few airports(near Blake Sea). Otherwise, pretty useless, especially with how they set up land ownership making it fairly expensive to just start out with a decent parcel purchase.

imo they should lower private sim prices (like make a hybrid homestead-openspace w/o full region pre-req), making it affordable for people that just want to make a fun sim without the heavy worry of selling a lot of junk to offset the high cost. That would also bring mainland prices down, which I'm sure would ruffle the feathers of big business real-estate tycoons :P

You dismiss everything on Mainland as useless but Blake Sea. There are lots of great places on Mainland that you obviously are not familiar with. There are groups and communities which go through considerable efforts to maintain a high quality level and harmonious environment. These are the people who manage to make Mainland wortwhile and not useless, as you say. Mainland has a reason to exist and it makes an important contribution to the SL experience.

Land price on Mainland is at its lowest, with many parcels selling in the range of 1 - 5 $ per square meters. Many land owners abandon land because they can't sell. Land is very cheap, it can't be any cheaper than that. There is no way that land price can be lowered any further.

Tier is an entirely different matter. I am sure most people agree tier is very expensive and the main reason as to why many people are selling land, making a depressed land market. Occasionally I happen to read this line of reasoning that tier should be reduced for private sims. I won't argue that tier for private sims is too expensive but I will object that tier is too expensive for everyone. Private sims owners pay more for the several advantages they have, while Mainland land owners contribute to the Second Life experience in a very important way. Reducing tier for the formers while ignoring the latters is a short-sighted way of dealing with the problem.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I want to say that I love the Mainland too.  Among other things, I am a ponygirl and a pony trainer at Frilly Filly Farm (Bulgogi region).  The fact that we're on the mainland means that our ponies can take riders out on the Linden Roads, on REALLY LONG rides.  (I will never forget coming to the suspension bridge that crosses the Bay on Linden Road 9; it was breathtaking and a complete surprise.)  Last year, our farm had a cart race that covered 37 sims; try THAT on an island!

Every now and then we meet someone out on those Linden Roads, and that is a chance to meet someone totally new; find out about them and tell them a bit about us.  That helps us all to grow and understand each other, and isn't that the best thing SL has to offer?

KaTrina Velde wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but I want to say that I love the Mainland too.  Among other things,
I am a ponygirl
and a pony trainer at Frilly Filly Farm (Bulgogi region).  The fact that we're on the mainland means that our ponies can take riders out on the Linden Roads, on REALLY LONG rides.

Um...

If that's what I think it is, you shouldn't be on mainland at all. That kind of stuff belongs in A-rated land - Zindra or estate.

http://www.experientia.com/blog/uploads/2007/09/pony_girl.jpg

(about the only PG image google could find.)

• 1 year later...

The East River Community Rocks!!!! Some of the most realistic builds in all Second Life.Two rivers wtih river walks on both sides, parks, several towns, galleries, an airport, Linden roads at the perimeter, really nice beaches, marinas, and great rentals in which to live. There is culture here versus the solitutde of a sterile and lonely tropical island. Those are nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. The only thing missing, that I can see, is a rail line for trains :(

Come check it out - you may be pleasantly surprised. Lag? What lag?

I need to look for that Rando, it sounds so cool :)

Early this morning I went out for a ride along the linden roads near my home on mainland and I saw that there are some reall nice things. Not sure how new they are but it was just neat to see and I hope it's some inclination of more things to come.

The Highlight was finding a zoo! What a fantastic piece of work with animated animals and sea life. The whole thing was just brilliant. I TP'd a couple friends and we spent a good 2 hours there just checking everything out and having a great time. (The penguins need a bit less thorazine is my only criticism. Hopefully animations for them are on someone's to do list)

but all in all some really great stuff everywhere I went. It's so nice to be able to ride along and have several options of things to check out that are not obstructed by ban lines. Actually travelling around by car or horseback (I use my horse since the sim crossings still need some serious fixing) really adds to the flavor of the SL world for me. Honestly If I could travel by conventional means to anywhere in SL, I would do that 99% of the time, only accepting a TP if I really had to be there 'right now'.

Shame this post is stuck down here in this forum that few people bother to look at :/

Edit: logged in and am now at East River mentioned in Rando's post above. This is fab! Great little town. Just really nice. I'm curious. what does it mean by 'free town'? Surely that doesn't mean any newcomers can have a free house or apartment with rez permissions, does it? Is it simply a way of saying 'feel free to hang out'?

When I was first introduced to SL my friend told me to turn over my First Land 512 and rent a plot off mainland. I spent several years this way, mostly in Azure Islands before it was turned over to a new owner and most sims were separated. It took several tries but I eventually fell in love with mainland, and will not go back to private sims.

I love the roads to travel on, and discovering new things. I bought a 512 roadside plot to put some cool free stuff out for people to find. And as mentioned before, I like the no covenent on my parcel, so I can use it for different things without worrying about commercial or other rules.

Happy trails!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.