The most ridiculous thing I heard was you can rent out 1024 mainland but can't build underground

HarleyRainn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I could not believe my ears, all we want to do is rent out 1024 piece of mainland but there is no way to actually do this, what, why not, should be able to open the 'grass' when starcase and basic building shape is all set up, why is this, we should be able to for all 1024 just as long there is space below, wanted to do this myself, to teleport to my land and walk underground taking the staircase where the vendors are

Here's the thing. Ever build a blanket fort? That''s what SL is...the land is the blanket. When you lower the terrain, you're just pushing the blanket down, which is why you have to use prims over the top to level the land. SL mainland has had the restriction for years that you can only raise or lower the land by 4 meters from the base land level. If you want to have a "basement" you'll either have to place your build on top and use prims/sculpts/mesh to build up a hill or find an private sim that will give your build rights: not a lot of those around. 

A 1024 really isn't very big. To properly landscape with hills and such, you need at least a 4096 or better yet, an 8192, and it will need to be on a private island/estate, not on mainland.

The land link you gave is to a privately owned estate, btw, not mainland...hence why you can have something "underground".

I feel sad that this is the most ridiculous thing you have heard of.

I am guessing you mean you can't terraform a 40 meter deep dungeon space below something at the 'surface'.

This is a limitation of most mainland.  Anyone can check the limits on terrain raising and lowering. 

Use 'World/Region/Terrain' to see what the limits are for the region you are in.

I wonder if the OP is referring to a part of Mainland where terraforming is disallowed altogether (Nautilus, Bay City, the Nova Albion and Shermerville sims, parts of Zindra, Brown, Boardman, probably a few other sims).

Otherwise, terraforming the Mainland standard -4m is a great plenty to build underground, and would only need approval by a landlord (who may very well not grant it, especially if they find the request as confused as the corresponding forum post).

It is not possible to "open the grass" but it may be possible to terraform land you own or rent down to make a deep valley, then you can build a house or landscape over that with prims or mesh. Terraform can push the grass up or down. How much varies:

Private island estate: The estate owner controls how far renters are allowed to move the land up or down. I think 100 m is the maximum ever allowed.

Mainland: Setting depends on the location. The limit is + - 4 m over almost all the mainland except a few very old regions where it is + - 40 m for every resident with terraform rights. Try Ritch or Zoe both have vacant land and + - 40 m terraform limits. Note: If you buy the land outright, you will be the owner and will have all mainland rights, including terraform rights. To buy mainland, you must have a Premium account, and if the land is over 512m2 in size you must pay monthly Tier. If you rent mainland from another resident, you will only have rights that the owner allows you to have (and you will have to pay rent to the actual owner, but won't need a Premium account).

Special note: Linden mainland that is marked "Abandoned - not for sale" may be available. If you find abandoned land you want, submit a help ticket to Linden Lab asking them to sell the land to you (or at least put it up for auction). You can ask them to cut a part of the land off, if it is too big for you to buy all of it. There is no guarantee that they will agree to this, but they may.

Also, according to Limits there are a few old Mainland SIMs (aren't they really all 'old' now) that allowed plus or minus 40m.

But something else that seems to get neglected or not thought of or known about is that Estate water can be deeper than 20m.  Someone should do the Mariana Trench.  ;)

HarleyRainn wrote:

Where I have been over the ages space of 40 meters below ground, better yet, visit Rouse look underground.......................

If you zoomed your camera out when there you'd see that the entire build is on top of Linden ground and the only reason it looks "underground" is there are tall textured walls around it making it look like it's in a pit. 

Linden "land" is like a blanket suspended between chairs. You can't dig under the blanket and have something over you, like you can in RL. All you can do is "push" the surface down deeper. You can then place mesh/prims over the hole to make it appear you are under ground. You have to be able to lower the land at least 10-15 meters to allow for the prims for the build underneath. Being underground in SL is an illusion.

You can't achieve a full underground on most mainland because of the restrictions in how far you can raise or lower. The best you could do would be to raise the sides up and then lower what's between for an appearance of 8 meters. You can also use mesh to "build up" the sides then build inside the hollow. However, for the grading to look right, you really can't achieve the effect on a 1024 parcel. It's just not big enough. You can, as suggested, make a build so that it appears you are underground with texturing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.