Having a big problem with shoes.

BrynhildrBjornsdottir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

I've finally gotten my avatar set up to my liking (mostly), I plan on switching to mesh when I have the cash (payday needs to hurry up) but I've gotten some nice skins and modified a shape, and I look nice, I think.

Anyway, it seems every time I try on shoes (especially boots) they are giant sized. I've tried to edit and resize them, but they won't go any smaller. The openings are generally larger than my legs and they look like clown shoes. I understand that serious shoe shoppers tend to use slink feet and until I can afford slink feet, I'm stuck with standard avi feet. Is there a way to resize shoes/boots? The only pair that seem reasonably sized are the free "girl next door" plain shoes from the library. I've recolored them a bit so they don't look so dreadful, but man, I really want some pretty shoes that don't look like boats, or being longer than my legs.

Is my height an issue here? it seems to make any of them look OK, I have to set all height sliders to max and make myself kind of fat... am I just doing something wrong? I like being short, and I would have that slider set all the way down if things would fit properly with it.

Any help at all would be appreciated, I just want to do a little shoe shopping and not feel sad.

Thanks all, cheers and all that.

Bryn

If the shoes are set as "No Mod" then trying to resize them via the edit window isnt going to work. Try clicking on each shoe and see if a menu pops up with size adjustments, this is quite often the method used for shoe resizing, and do make sure you are in an area which allows you to use scripts when doing it this way.

Your height is not your issue. Your choice of shoes is. I suggest that, if you plan on purchasing a mesh body (or at least mesh feet) than please refrain from buying any shoes until you do.  What you're experiencing is what we in Second Life call complete crap... do not fall for it.. do not settle for it. Never buy shoes without trying out a demo first... if there's no demo, forget them, no matter how lovely they look.

And ffs, stop buying old crap shoes that you can't size down to fit your feet.

...Dres

Thanks, Dres.

I guess I have a lot to learn, I've only been in SL for a couple of days. I appreciate the advice. Mostly it is Demos I'm talking about, but I have purchased a couple pair of shoes that simply wont' work. I will keep a better eye out in the future. I know it is a bit much to ask, but is there a shop you could reccomend that has decent shoes for non-mesh feet? I don't have enough to afford slink yet, but I do have a couple hundred Linden (or whatever they are called). I just don't want to waste anymore money on stuff I can't wear. Thank you again, I appreciate the response.

Bryn

If you plan on switching to a mesh body, then I would suggest only using freebie or lowbie shoes for now: and make sure they aren't meant for mesh (it'll say either mesh and classic, or just classic).  You can get these at freebie stores and they will fit avatars of any size.  The trick with nonmesh shoes is that you need to wear the foot shaper (it'll be accompanied by an icon that looks like a shoe) along with the prim attachments.  You'll find this piece in the box with the shoes but it may not be called what you were expecting.  Right click on that item and choose wear from the dropdown menu.  Then attach the prim shoes.  Some shoes use an alpha mask instead: this hides your normal feet and the shoe takes it's place.  This is most common with boots which also cover a portion of your leg. In these cases, wear the alpha mask (accompanied by an icon that looks like a shirt made of graph paper) first then attach the prim shoes.  right click on this item then choose wear from the menu.  Then attach the prim shoes.  With these shoes you may need to edit their position if your hover slider is a bit higher than normal.  This should take care of your problem.  

Make sure you check the quality of your shoes. 

Beggars can't be choosers, and all that, but there ARE decent-quality freebies out there, from good places. Try the FabFree blog to find nice freebies. Many of the shoes she posts there are for Slink, but it's worth a look regardless. There are a few free stores inworld that you can check out, as well. Not all are created equal. I've heard decent things about the Free Dove.

Baby Monkey is awesome. I believe she still offers non-Slink options, and her prices are very good! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.