Using the Profile to Help in RP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to beef up my Profile to help people recognize that I RP and approach me for it ... but for the noobian Second Life of me I can't figure out how to edit my profile. I'm using the v2.x viewer (and have tried the Phoenix third-party viewer and switched back to v2.x). I click on the underlined "Edit Profile" link ... precisely Richard occurs.

I want to encourage people, especially who want to RP, to better use their profiles to help others "find" them and to give "pegs" on which to hang a new RP effort. ("If my Klingon odor offends you, move along.") But I can't change my profile to improve my own RP classification.

Thanks for help with a motivated noob.

From in world, you can click the profile tab from the side bar and then hit Edit button (on the bottom I think?)

Some people also use Picks to add a bit of detail to their RP character.  If you do, be sure to go somewhere public to create the profile picks.  You see, when you make a pick it sets a landmark other people can use straight from your pick.  If you are sitting around your house and make a couple of picks for roleplay info, then the landmarks could land a few curious residents in the middle of you home some evening :)

Welcome to SL! ^_^ .. we all wonder sometiems who is designing certain details of the viewer and it's settings in LL so don't worry when you can't find something. You are never alone.

The use of the pics-section on the profile is a very standard way to include RP details, limits, sometimes even descriptions of what kind of RP is prefered and also often whole backstories (that of course then can't be used IC unless learned about). I use it to describe also what I have on my character on a normal day and also what people can see when they meet me IC in a RP sim.

Another way is the use of a 'titler' that creates a floating text over your head. This is best for very short descriptions that would be noticable for people. It is often use to tell the accent of the character, the way people smell or indicate that their clothing is torn for example or that they are injured. Sometimes people alos state the mood of their characters in it, but this is a touchy subject as there are long debates about how much a floating titler can include and when it becomes too big (and I have seen titlers with texts bigger then the avi wearing it).

Often the titler just says, look into the pics for RP information.

Those titlers are free to get in almost every RP sim and most people have one and will give it to you when asked.

Many people use the pics section and some people put wayyy to much information in them in my opinion, and I feel that it may hurt their RP because the more information you give, the more history that you put in then the less room for change, I do not mean things like changing your race from demon to angel, but change/room for your character to grow in the RP. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yep ... risk metagaming here. It's best you give maybe a brief backstory at most ... some major events, circumstances, or a summary of your character's life that led up to how he/she/it ended up being where they are today. On one hand you have to be careful as to not give away too much, but on the other, it's good so others can get a sense of your preferences in RP. Posting hard limits can be useful too at times.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.