Hat Hair / Hair for Hats?

squashy Beeswing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know where one can purchase hair to wear under a hat?  I'm NOT looking for hair with the hat attached;  rather, i need hair that doesn't stick out when i place a hat on top of it.  I did find one hair that is specifically 'hat hair' but it's only available in limited colours, and it's not very attractive.  :smileysad:

What do you suggest?   Should i simply shrink my head?

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Does anyone know where one can purchase hair to wear under a hat?  I'm NOT looking for hair with the hat attached;  rather, i need hair that doesn't stick out when i place a hat on top of it.  I did find
one
hair that is specifically 'hat hair' but it's only available in limited colours, and it's not very attractive.  :smileysad:

What do you suggest?   Should i simply shrink my head?

I know it doesn't work in all situations, but I usually increase the size of the hat slightly to compensate. At times I'll tilt the hat slightly or change its centerpoint on my head to compensate for bangs. I have a LOT of hairstyles with bangs and most are really bouncy (look at my hair in my badge photo). My ponytails are the same way, and they present more of a problem, so I either wear hats with no brim area in the back like caps or berets, or if I'm wearing something like a sun hat, I'll move it or tilt it forward so it will clear my ponytails.

Of course, I only can do this when the hair is tied in loose fashion. Others that are actually pulled up and tied don't allow this.

Don't shrink your head though; just supa-size the hat :womanvery-happy:

as a big fan of head wear i don't buy any specific hair but would try and avoid styles that have lots of wispy bits or fancy styles piled high on top that will stick out i always make sure my hat or head piece is modify and/or re-size scripted at least if need be i'll adjust the position on my head so it looks perfect

You won't like this but the trick is to buy mod hair and edit lock by lock. Boring, I know. But it gives you best results and you're not stuck with one style or two. If possible buy mod packs of different shades of the same style. That's what I used to do and I'd set aside the least favourite shade as my "hat" hair.

I copy one of my hairstyles, move, shrink, rotate or smack a clear texture on bad prims, and keep it in the same folder as the hat.*

*The above is what I intended on doing, I usually forget so when it's time to use the hat, I have to quick-mod in a panick. ^_^'

Loren Twine wrote:

I copy one of my hairstyles, move, shrink, rotate or smack a clear texture on bad prims, and keep it in the same folder as the hat.*

The above is what I intended on doing, I usually forget so when it's time to use the hat, I have to quick-mod in a panick. ^_^'

Ok.  I'm not very good at this sort of stuff.  Am i able to simply delete a stray prim or two?  Thanks.

Carole Franizzi wrote:

You won't like this but the trick is to buy mod hair and edit lock by lock. Boring, I know. But it gives you best results and you're not stuck with one style or two. If possible buy mod packs of different shades of the same style. That's what I used to do and I'd set aside the least favourite shade as my "hat" hair.

Ok, normal boring i can live with.  It's more a question of if i mess it up and then have to keep doing it over and over until i get it right, each time using a new copy of the original hair.  That's the really boring part!

Peewee Musytari wrote:

I only ever buy mod hair & if i want one to wear under a hat I make a copy and put it on with the hat and change the texture of the sticky out bits to white, then I rezz it on the ground, unlink them prims and delete them.

I rename it to include the name of the hat it is for too
:)

Oh dear.  That word unlink always throws me into a mild panic.  Still, i can keep making copies until i get it right, right?   I'm going to try this. :smileyhappy:

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Loren Twine wrote:

The above is what I intended on doing, I usually forget so when it's time to use the hat, I have to quick-mod in a panick. ^_^'

Ok.  I'm not very good at this sort of stuff.  Am i able to simply delete a stray prim or two?  Thanks.

I sometimes unlink and delete stray prims, but find it to be less hassle to select the prim, and put a clear texture (that we all should have in the library) on it. Prim is still there, but can't be seen.

@ Peewee: Awesome tip!! I have yearned for hats since day 7 or so and until now had no luck wearing them cause of the sticky out bits! Now I can do what you said you do! That is so cool! One million Kudos.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

I only ever buy mod hair & if I want one to wear under a hat I make a copy and put it on with the hat and change the texture of the sticky out bits to white, then I rezz it on the ground, unlink them prims and delete them.

As a hat maker not only is hair a problem with wearing hat's but can get in the way of making them too.  When I first started making hats I made them to fit over my hair, which ended up causing fitting problems for people with smaller hair and or head size.  Later I remade all my hats  on a bald head that was shrunk down, that fixed sizing issue but not hair problems.  I've thought about making hats with hair attached before, but after reading through this topic, making hat hair seams to be the best way.  I haven't thought about this issue in some time now that I'm use to having a bald avatar, but now I thing I may have to try to grow some hair again.

Hairbases with buns is a great way to wear hats. My picture here shows me in a hairbase with bangs and a sleek ponytail (that you can't see) that comes from LeLutka. They sell a pack of hair attachments that's handy to use.

I wish more made low chignons. I was able to buy a low bun from MiaMai and just pull it a bit down in the back. They sell matching hairbases too.

Editing hair takes some time, but it's fun to end up with a unique hairstyle. Because it is not likely that some other edited just the same hair.

Maitreya has several hairstyles that's hat friendly. They are sleek on the top, These hairs don't need much editing. Often, you can just take a copy and size it a bit smaller, and pull it a bit down and back.

https://d44ytnim3cfy5.cloudfront.net/assets/2407939/view_large/HairBlacks_amber.jpg?1288269764

https://d3qcduphvv2yxi.cloudfront.net/assets/2404799/view_large/HairBrowns_evi.jpg?1288213676

To learn how to edit linked prims is very important if you will have a perfect appearance. You can visit the Ivory Tower of Prims and go through some tutorials. But I tried to make a mini-tutorial here. English isn't my first language, so I hope some will correct me if I'm unclear.

Always make a copy first, of hair and hat! Wear both and stand on a posestand or play a static pose, so your avatar is not moving.

Picture 1: Choose the hair and tick "Edit linked parts" and untick "stretch both sides". Then, pick one of the colored squares (the green arrow) and push down until the hair disappears in the hat. If you just added a transparent texture here, you would ruin the part of the hair that shows under the hat.

Picture 2: Use camera controls and zoom in.  Work your way around the hat. Here is where I often messed up in the start, because it's often tricky to select the right part. Sometimes I would edit a part of the hat, and had to start over again with a new copy. Be patient.

Picture 3: When you have pushed in the big hair parts, you can often stretch the hat carefully and lift it a bit. This often is enough to hide the tiny parts of hair that poke out. Important! Remember to change the boxes back, so you edit the whole hat, and don't forget to check "stretch both sides" again!!!

Picture 4: Your perfect hair and hat. This may sound like a lot of work, but this hair can often be used with many different hats. And the next time you edit a hair, you work faster.

edithair collage.jpg

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Peewee Musytari wrote:

I only ever buy mod hair & if i want one to wear under a hat I make a copy and put it on with the hat and change the texture of the sticky out bits to white, then I rezz it on the ground, unlink them prims and delete them.

Oh dear.  That word
unlink
always throws me into a mild panic.  Still, i can keep making copies until i get it right, right?   I'm going to try this. :smileyhappy:

Yes, because it is copy/mod when you rezz it on the ground you will still have it in your inventory so if it all goes wrong you can always just rezz another one.

Also if you don`t like unlinking, you can always make those prims invisible with an alpha texture instead, I just prefer not to have extra prims or too many alphas but both ways would work. You could even make those prims tiny and hide them inside your head.

First, for those who don't want to modify hair, there are a number of makers who do hairbases and attachments.  They include Boon and Amacci, but I know there's plenty more.  Also, Boon does do a hat hair.  I remember only a female version.

Second, excellent tut, Marianne!!!  Kudos for spending the time to do it.

For those scared to de-link, I offer a way to do your adjustments without unlinking and removing the extraneous bits until the last step:

1. Put the desired hair and hat on.
  2. Edit like for Marianne's tut. 
  3. For the strands you don't want to keep, pull them away from your avatar, so they're out of your way while you work.  Remember, if you change your mind, you can undo the move--even if it's not the last strand you moved--by selecting the individual strand and using Ctrl+Z. [Note there is sometimes a glitch with the viewer and Ctrl-Z does not work.  I find deselecting and reselecting the piece usually fixes this problem for me.]  I find this option particularly useful for those strands I can't see well.
  4. Once you are happy with your hair, detach it. 
  5. Then rez a copy. 
  6. Unlink. 
  7. Delete all the prims you moved away. 
  8. Reselect all the hair prims, making sure to select the root prim (often a small box) last.  [This is often best done by using "Select by surrounding" technique, using Ctrl-Shift and click on the desired root prim to unselect it, then reselect it, which will make it the last prim selected.] Then link your hair.  Paying attention to keeping the root prim the same will mean the hair will attach in the same position as it originally did.  Otherwise you may have to refit the modified hair.

As for the person who said it takes hours:  Perhaps it did the first time.  It gets much easier with practice :)

Thanks Lisa! I have ruined so many hairs in the start, hehe. It can be hard to pick the right parts. A hair without so much flexi is easy to work with.

If you already have a hat with attached hair, you can unlink the hat and delete it, and use the hair with another hat.

Picture 1: Rez the hair and rightclick -> edit. Make sure you tick "Edit linked parts" and select the hat. You will see it outlined in blue. Then pick "unlink" from tools.

Picture 2: The hat is outlined in yellow after you unlinked it. Now you delete it. Repeat these 2 steps if the hat has more than one part.

Picture 3: Take the hair back to your inventory. Now you can rename it to "hat hair" or something else you remember.

deletehat collage.jpg

Now, you can wear the hair with another hat!

5056355987_fd8a7925bc_z.jpg

Lisa Fossett wrote:
  1. For the strands you don't want to keep, pull them away from your avatar, so they're out of your way while you work.  Remember, if you change your mind, you can undo the move--even if it's not the last strand you moved--by selecting the individual strand and using Ctrl+Z. [Note there is sometimes a glitch with the viewer and Ctrl-Z does not work.  I find deselecting and reselecting the piece usually fixes this problem for me.]  I find this option particularly useful for those strands I can't see well.
  2. Once you are happy with your hair, detach it. 
  3. Then rez a copy. 
  4. Unlink. 
  5. Delete all the prims you moved away. 

Instead of unlinking and deleting the prims I usually just move them in towards the head. Another quicker way is to apply a totally transparent texture to the prims you want disappeared.

I only buy hair that's copy / mod, and hats are only one of the reasons I refuse to buy anything else. I always edit a copy of a hairstyle to match the hat, because even as boring as it can be at times, it's still less work than tromping around the grid not finding what I want.

For removing pieces, I always rez it inworld and do it the easy way... With "edit linked parts" selected, and only the pieces of hair I want to remove highlighted/selected for edit, go to TOOLS-->UNLINK. Click away on something else and then back on the main hair part you want to keep ('edit linked parts' won't be selected anymore), and just move the main hair away from the pieces you cut out.. done. I do it this way because you never have to unlink the main bulk of the hair, so linking screw-ups are almost eliminated.

For adjusting sculpted pieces, I usually just reposition them individually and resize them if necessary.

For adjusting standard prims (which are almost always a twisted torus), just 'edit linked part' on the individual piece you want and go to the Object tab, then adjust the "Path Cut - Begin" number (the first one by the 'B'). That cuts away (or adds to) the thick part of the prim, which is usually the hair root that touches the scalp. Just cut it away enough so it no longer pokes through the hat, maybe adjust position a little, but it's very easy and doesn't change the look of the hair like making pieces transparent, removing pieces, or drastically resizing pieces does.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.