The Taxman Cometh: Sansar's Package Deal

Jumpman Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

RE: Jumpman wrote: 

"Folks don't play Second Life because they can't afford land. Won't buy rezable product because can't afford land. Doesn't purchase wearables because won't play Second Life because can't afford land.  Won't buy things because land costs eat up all their disposible income. Folks don't play Second Life because they can't afford land. Won't buy rezable product because can't afford land. Doesn't purchase wearables because won't play Second Life because can't afford land. Won't buy things because land costs eat up all their disposible income..."

I think you're right on target Jumpman. It's unfortunate the way Second Life land ownership was setup regarding land ownership. Land in SL is always going to be in the hands of a small group of minority of players. That's backwards and lends itslef to folks getting ripped off or mistreated by other players.

The worst happening for me in this regard, was when a greedy player closed the rental sim and didn't give renters any refunds for their advance rental payments. I lost some money, but that wasn't what frustrated me the most; it was the fact that the game TOS essentially allowed a player to steal my Lindens, and others, in a blatently shady, and highly unethical manner. There was no recourse due to the landlord's pathetic no refund policy - which seems to the norm in SL. Taking money without rendering a service is faudulent regarless of whatever a landlord writes in their rental agreements. It felt as nasty as being ripped off by a real life landlord or real-estate agent. Just a very negative experience for any player. But I am a believer in virtual worlds, so I continue to play.

Needless to say, I'm hoping to have my own affordable land in the new virtual worlds with no landlords to speak of, other than the company that owns the game.

No land to rez out boxes? 2 words...Free Sandbox. There are lots of them. I used them when I first came to SL before I had land or if the idiot maker had more prims in their "box" than my land allowed...I kid you not, I went to open a box and couldn't as it was more prims than I had...Went to a sandbox...it was this whole dressing table thing that took up 73 prims (this was way before mesh, of course). The product inside was not very good. Fortunately it was a hunt gift and yes, I sent a notecard to the maker suggesting that they spend more time on their product and less on the box. 

The no land to rez purchases doesn't really wash. 

Once again, as I said before, all this is speculation. We don't KNOW how things are going to work. I'll worry about it when it happens.....if it happens.

Bobby, 

I hear what you're saying, but rezzing stuff wasn't my point. But I agree, sandboxes are the place to open boxes. However, I was more concerned about owning land to create a home, a business, or whatever. It's about creating and actaully owning my own place where I can do whatever I like. I think that's what a lot of users miss out on simply because the cost is way to expensive. Developing a big piece of land is a wonderful thing.

I think the key to a deep user experience is having a big chuck land to call home. Most folks can't fork out the high rents and buy lots of stuff at the same time these days. I certainly couldn't sustain those land fees. Not with the current pricing scheme.

Thus, we will probably see a slow decline in user numbers. Certainly not a gain. I like second life, but the high land costs issue has made it very difficult for me do much creatively so I look forward to the next incarnation of SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.