Merchants shouldn't be allowed to specify permissions on items.

Dante Tucker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see more often then not permissions on listings are incorrect. Allowing them to be specified by the merchant, rather then some automatic system leaves room for unintentional errors as well as intentional misleading of the customer.

Some automatic system needs to be implemented to determine the permissions of the item. This will both help merchants by reducing the amount of work required to list an item and help protect customers from the intentional fraud that is currently taking place.

Please give your views on this subject.

Triple Peccable wrote:

The problem with that idea is that I sell my items boxed. The permissions of the box are completely different than the permissions of the objects inside the box.

That is true. That makes it even more difficult to make things automated.

LL shouldn't have messed with Xstreet, they shouldn't have created Marketplace, they replaced a perfect system with a load of malicious code.

Selling directly from inventory is another bullsh*t, copy botting directly from someones inventory, that's what it's gonna result in.

LL is the biggest fraud.

Sounds like a nice idea, Dante. I can appreciate why those of us who sell items that are really and truly fully copy/mod would want this.

It's more difficult the more I think about it though. Eg- boxed items. Clothing creators sell a mixture of perms in one package- ie copy/mod prim attachments with no-mod/copy clothing layers. (One reason why I prefer to shop inworld is so I can click to see the perms on individual items in a box.)

While I'm thinking about this, we really do need an extra permissions category for all those items which are moddable yet contain no-mod scripts.

ooh ooh ooh..(hops about a bit)....just had a minor brainwave 2 seconds after posting..maybe what we need is a panel in the item's Marketplace listing showing what a customer would see if they could be inworld and inspecting the boxes contents?

ie..every individual item listed with its perms?

Tiffy Vella wrote:

ooh ooh ooh..(hops about a bit)....just had a minor brainwave 2 seconds after posting..maybe what we need is a panel in the item's Marketplace listing showing what a customer would see if they
could
be inworld and inspecting the boxes contents?

I like that idea, Tiffy.  The other benefit from a system like that is when you inevitably lose the object in your inventory,  you can look it up on Marketplace and see the object names to do your search.

Tiffy Vella wrote:

ooh ooh ooh..(hops about a bit)....just had a minor brainwave 2 seconds after posting..maybe what we need is a panel in the item's Marketplace listing showing what a customer would see if they
could
be inworld and inspecting the boxes contents?

This would be a wonderful idea if it weren't for the fact that, as Winter has already stated, you still would see a modifiable object with a non-modifiable script as not modifiable.  This is the same as it would be inworld so there's really no way around it.

An automated system would be nice but it would still get things wrong.  It's really up to each creator to make sure the permissions are stated correctly on each of their listings.

Maybe the best way to do this is have the system be partially automated; in that, a merchant can go back and change what the system may have gotten wrong manually.  The best of both worlds, so to speak.

The permission system in SL is, itself, pretty complicated; therefore, I do believe the solution would have to be a bit complicated as well.  There's really no easy answer.

...Dres

Josh Susanto wrote:

Permissions are what sell my items.

Without being able to indicate permissions, I'd have to compete with people who do not offer permissions.

That's just silly.

OTOH, it would sort of seem to explain who wants the permissions searches done-away-with, and why.

That's not what this thread is about.

To everyone else, really awesome ideas. I especially liked the suggestion about being able to see the object contents on the web.

That is not a good idea at all. Just from the top of my head: 1. Permissions of the item and its practical use can be different from its contents permissions, and usualy are (not to mention problems with box in a box in a box...). 2. Customers in my experience often dont understand permissions system, and many dont even care. 3. Why risk having another potentional source of bugs, problems and failed deliveries - I set permissions correctly, don't need and don't want the machine to do it for me. And i have customer support for eventual problems; plus, you can still have misunderstandings, no matter who/what sets permissions.... For me, all this is more than enough not to do it. ty

I try to be pretty clear in the marketplace and in notecards you can get at my store that my products are copy/mod, but the scripts in the product  are no mod so the item will appear no mod to you.  The package will appear no mod to you even after you buy it and have it in your inventory because of the scripts.  You have to actually rezz one of the suckers in world to see that you can edit prims, but cannot edit the text of the scripts.  Heck, the rezzing scripts I use are no mod to even me, but copy/tran and passed on to you.  So, between those rezzing scripts and the house system scripts, the packaging, sign holding the pack, etc.  will appear no mod. 

I applaud the idea of having a permission that recognizes modifiable prims with no mod scripts if that makes things easier for shoppers to understand.   Merchants are stuck with the same permissions systems as buyers now though and I think it is one of those things where a shopper can learn more about how permissions and packaging work as they spend more time in SL and can also shop based on word of mouth and learning if a seller has a reputation for being honesty.

I think most merchants try to do this right. 

>That's not what this thread is about.

Looking again, I see that you're correct - almost.

The thread is about taking away from merchants the power to incorrectly indicate object permissions so that LL can, instead, make the same mistake automatically in a way that makes merchants unable to correct the mistake...

... a problem that will ultimately be fixed by eliminating the permissions listing altogether, but not before some new and worse problem has been cooked up to take its place.

• 2 weeks later...

Where as i agree to some extent i also dont agree because of *the different perms on some of the other items,but that would be nice i've ran into that problem with sellers and it drives me nutts lol,

As far as the bitching and moaning of the Inventory Delivery system thats a whole other horse. Usually im the first to bitch and moan about something they change LOL but the more i think about it the more i like the idea as long as they can make it secure.

think about all the lost time from selling an item having to hunt it down in your xstreet box and replace it because the item had wrong perms or something happened because LL changed something and messed up textures! how easy would it be to go to your delivery folder find the named item and replace it or fix it without having to open up your M box find the item drag it out edit it find the item fix it take it back and drop it in the box ....man what a pain in the ass.

But its all about what they want and its gonna happen regardless of how much we bitch,Just like viewer 2 bend over and take it like ya love it :P.

Personally i love SL and dont wanna go anywhere else,But times they are a changin :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.