What do all these words like Maitreya mean when clothes shopping?

Scamp Skytower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. I'm not new but I’m lazy and never bothered to learn some basics. I’m not necessarily asking for a full answer but I reckon somewhere either on here or in a blog or something has explained what I need to know. I totally love shopping and have learnt what things to avoid if they wont fit or whatever but perhaps its about time I learnt what these words mean?

“WowMeh, Physique and Omega appliers added!” , “Phat azz”, “mesh”, “fitmesh”, “rigged mesh”, “slink”, “maitreya”, “Belleza”. Etcetera etcetera.

What do appliers do … nothing as far as I can tell but then maybe I have the wrong avi. Maybe I just get lucky with the clothes. One of the nicest dresses I ever bought was maitreya but future shopping for maitreya clothes weren't so well fitting.

I suppose since I’ve been honest with my lazyness now, I’m asking which ones I should avoid and which ones are OK. I have a standard avi body I think (I’m quite fat but I mean its not mesh). Anyway, if someone could point me in a direction then I’d be grateful and it would enhance my shopping experience. If I get enough separate answers but no link to a blog page then maybe we can make one. I’m sure its a popular newbie question....

thanks.

Sarah.

ps. I don't really want to change my avi - its been the same for ages and people recognise me.

The various appliers pertain to mesh parts, so if you don't have the corresponding mesh body parts or mesh avi you don't need to use the appliers.  

The "rigged mesh" and "fitmesh" terms - I think - refer to how the mesh clothing item was configured (for lack of a better term). I think rigged mesh items may be the ones that are also limited being able to be re-sized.   

As with all mesh items, trying a demo version first is always a wise idea. 

thanks. Great answer for lazy girls .. just keep doing what i'm doing. lol.

ok thanks though really. so they words really refer to what kind of body i have (be polite).

so can i still shop for mesh, maitreya, etc etc bearing in mind these usually have demos which i will always try as they're quite expensive?

thanks.

S

“WowMeh, Physique” , “Phat azz”, “Belleza”,“slink”, “maitreya”

These are all Brands of Mesh Bodies you can buy or body parts.

Omega appliers

This is a brand of applier that works with many of the above mesh bodies or parts but not all.  If you have a body or mesh parts, the instructions will tell you if these appliers work for it.

“mesh”, “fitmesh”, “rigged mesh”

These are types of mesh.  Mesh clothes, shoes, boots etc. can be rigged and follow your body parts as they move, or unrigged which are static like sculpted clothing and can be resized.  Fit mesh is rigged mesh that supposedly automatically fits your body no matter what shape you have.  Rigged mesh can't be sized comes in sizes from xxs to xxl in one pack although some designers only include the mid range sizes XS to L.  ALWAYS try on mesh clothes before you buy them.

What do appliers do …

Appliers are used to texture mesh bodies, for skins, tats or clothing similar to system clothes.

I suppose since I’ve been honest with my lazyness now, I’m asking which ones I should avoid and which ones are OK. I have a standard avi body I think (I’m quite fat but I mean its not mesh). Anyway, if someone could point me in a direction then I’d be grateful and it would enhance my shopping experience. If I get enough separate answers but no link to a blog page then maybe we can make one. I’m sure its a popular newbie question....

Standard avi's can wear all three types of mesh but they all won't fit.  ALWAYS try a demo before you buy.  You don't need appliers unless you also use mesh body parts such as Slink feet or Lola boobs ect.

ps. I don't really want to change my avi - its been the same for ages and people recognise me.

Don't ever change your avi
unless YOU want to.  Never change it just to be fashionable, or trendy or because someone tells you you should.  It is your SL.  Do what makes YOU happy

How can one not know about these, while being active in SL? I'm not a fashionista, but even I know :catsurprised:

Whatever you buy and weither or not it has any of the words in its description: Try a demo first. Just because the products include something for mesh avatars doesn't mean its useless for anyone else. (For example: A tattoo might come with appliers, but also with a system layer...).

Also using bodyparts will not change how you look like "you". Prettier feet for example don't do a harm and even mesh bodies allow you to keep your head and shape.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.