Mainlanders?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been renting a small parcel on the mainland for my home for the past few years. It seems I have to move every year or two because of some reason or other like having neighbors who are a little too close and always online or the landlord leaving SL. My new place is pretty good. I have a few constantly online bots on the sim but they are a comfortable distance from my parcel. Other neighbors that are closer to home appear very rarely. I have a skybox so I'm not bothered by any prim homes except for other skyboxes. I try to find a good altitude with lots of free sky.

Any mainlanders here? How is your mainland experience been over the course of your second life? Or is a private sim way better?

I have a parcel on the mainland.  Neighbors come and go - good and bad.  Rarely is there anyone even on the sim.  When I log in I am almost always the only one there.  Half the parcels are owned, the other half are rented out.  It is constant change, but I just ride it out.  My land is fairly natural with trees, grass a small cottage - a few other residents have followed suit at this time, I have a sandbox in the sky for other stuff.  I am fine where I am on G rated land, so I don't have to deal with much.  Very quiet most of the time - if I have any visitors, I am unaware of them because I don't have a security orb, scripts are allowed to run and people can rez if they want (10 minute auto return though) - I left it public.

I feel no reason to move to a private sim and be at the mercy of anyone.

I own a few parcels in Zindra. That's mainland but I'm not sure if you'd call it mainstream. I moved from one Zindra sim to another a few months ago, more for reasons of getting more and closer together parcels.

My experience has been exceptional. Never any real problems with other residents. No lag to speak of. It's really been pretty quiet.

There is Mainland and then there is Mainland. You can't really generalize - some of the best and some of the worst parts of Second Life are found there.

Personally I would never consider living on an isolated island. To me Second Life is a virtual world, not a collection of isolated fragments. Others feel different about it though and it's a good thing we have both options :)

That being said, the advantages to living on Mainland is that you can be a part of a larger whole, you get the feel you're part of a community, you get to meet some wonderful (and occasional not-so-wonderful) stranger who pass by etc. etc.

The big advantage to living on an island is that you have complete control over your surroundings. Never any surprises, never any bothersome neighbours.

An isolated skybox above Mainland doesn't seem to make much sense really, you just get all the disadvatages of both alternatives and none of the advantages. So if you want to live your Second Life in splendid isolation, go to one of the well established land barons and rent an island parcel from them.

I've owned roadside land in Yosu since a few months after after I came to SL in 2006, although I've migrated a few metres northwards so that I no longer own my original parcel.   I now have the Egotherapy Club and a gallery and my home there.  I say 'I' but it's really 'we' because me and my twin sister have a land group that owns the land.

There's been lots of changes to the surrounding land over the years.  Some nice builds, some ugly ones, a horrible full-bright mall for a while, and the weird phenomenon of completely empty large parcels that are not for sale and have absentee owners and sometimes ban lines.  For a few years there was a good landlord who owned much of the surrounding land and his tenants mostly had skyboxes (my place is on the ground, I just have a simple work platform in the sky).  That landlord sold up when he bought his own island, and another landlord bought most of his land and stacked rental skyboxes above it, which was a business model doomed to fail.  Now lots of the land around me is either abandoned to the Governor or for sale at anrealistically high price.

Oh yes, also for quite a while a group called the Arbor Project owned land next to me - they bought up ad plots and combined them to make nice little public parks.

All in all, my experience of being a mainlander has been positive.  But then, seeing as I'm the Princess of Jeogeot, I would say that, wouldn't I ?

:) :) :)

I own a small plot on Yuri and rent a similar sized bit of land next door.

I assumed it it would remain a sea-themed part of SL and that it wouldn't change much as it boarders  an enclosed water sim, with a canal and access to an inner waterway near by as well as having access to Blake Sea

However, a large airport has basically been built on top of it....quite why there I've no idea as the land is certainly had a premium price tag and there's plenty of large empty areas elsewhere in SL.

I guess its just the joy of land ownership in a universe that doesn't have planning regulations :-)

I've recently just bought a mainland roadside parcel again after renting on the mainland for awhile. I have tried several estate rentals, but they have always been short and I end up back on mainland :)   I'm pretty happy with the location I currently have - generally I've usually been the only one on the sim, and the area is not overly built up. 

Always lived on the mainland and always left my land open welcoming wanders. There are some parts of the mainland that have developed ugly, lots of advertising and ugly buildings and so on, well you shop around a bit and find the nice places.

As for neighbours, a bit of friendly conversation usually handles any problems.

Private sim? yeah sure i have a block of 16 of them, it's called sim on a stick. Cost = 0 and I am never bothered by anyone.

Mainland living ain't so bad after all! Maybe it's because of the loss in SL population? Less people, quieter sims? I think the one reason why I rent on the mainland is the ability to find a quiet sim. On a residential island you see a lot more people online. It's zoned residential by the sim owner and its in their best interest to get tenants. On the mainland, you'll get residential parcels mixed with businesses, abandoned land, ad zones, parks, etc. I suppose you could own a whole island for privacy but that's just too expensive.

I'm a mainlander since may/2007. My first place grew to around 5,000 sq m, rounded with nice people: a Canadian, a Brazilian and a Brit that maintained a store, 2 sister with another store - a small and nice community. The others owners in the sim were never seem, but didn't had ugly places.

People left more or less when Zindra was launched. Some months later I moved to a sea side small plot (1,024 sq m) were I can launch my boats and made a Leeward Cruising Club outpost, were anyone can launch theirs. Besides one or other user that goes there to start sailing I am almost all the time alone.

I've owned mainland since late 2006 (I think, could be into 2007) at around seven different locations. I've usually been lucky with my neightbours. Occasionally someone has put up a plywood or fullbright monstrosity (sometime, in the early days, that was me) but usually such things don't last. These days, we have some useful derendering options to hand.

Bree Giffen wrote:

I have been renting a small parcel on the mainland for my home for the past few years. It seems I have to move every year or two because of some reason or other like having neighbors who are a little too close and always online or the landlord leaving SL. My new place is pretty good. I have a few constantly online bots on the sim but they are a comfortable distance from my parcel. Other neighbors that are closer to home appear very rarely. I have a skybox so I'm not bothered by any prim homes except for other skyboxes. I try to find a good altitude with lots of free sky.

Any mainlanders here? How is your mainland experience been over the course of your second life? Or is a private sim way better?

Mainland is great :D

I share a mainland parcel with seveal other people, next to sailable sea. The neighbouring couple don't like us (probably because we do a lot of scripting/building, including making weird stuff and playing around with particles and weapons) and theyeven stuck up a ban line up, but it doesn't bother us, as we've no intention of going on to their land anyway and they never come onto ours.

If an annoying neighbour decided to put up some ghastly tacky build, we'd just laugh. Nothing to get upset about. In my view, people who want to be boring and isolate themselves should get private islands and not cause a fuss for those of us on the mainland who like random people TPing in and socializing with other residents :D

I did a post in the other part of the forum a month ago about the mainland.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mainland/Mainland-Follies-squatters-pervs-and-the-new-normal/td-p/2957651

The one thing I am curious out, is this scenario:

Someone owns a parcel of land for many many years.

It either goes up for sale, and someone else buys it, or it just changes hands on day.

Someone puts up a half built build, or a monstrosity.

It gets abandoned hours, days, or one week later.

I'm surrounded by this on all four sides, seeing it about 6 times, with a new one just a few weeks ago.

What is up with that?!?!?!?  They don't even bother to put it back on sale for even a day, just straight abandonment.

But thank goodness I don't have any giant hearts around yet.

Israel Schnute wrote:

What is up with that?!?!?!?  They don't even bother to put it back on sale for even a day, just straight abandonment.

Yeah, the frequency of this happening surprises me, too. It's somewhat to be expected, with so much of Mainland worth less than even the L$0.5 / sq.m. base auction price. Practically speaking, it's hardly worth the bother to set something for sale for less than, say, US$10 or L$2500 -- I mean, I'll still stoop for a sawbuck on the street, but plenty of people bill at a higher rate -- and that may be about the going price for a landlocked quarter sim in some godforsaken granite corner of Gaeta.

I'm sure in some cases there were special circumstances accounting for abandonment, such as the owner's account being cancelled for one reason or another.

But all told, yeah, it does seem to occur more often than one would expect.

I've had private sims over the years, but own a mainland parcel and have rented The Dawson Residence by Juro Kothari for YEARS. Juro's masterpiece sits high on a hill on a parcel large enough to keep neighbors at bay. The parcell I own behind it is surrounded by water and land owned by governor Linden and divided by a Linden road. I love being able to swim and sail on the Linden waterways. It's just way better than being boxed in on a private sim.

My only trouble is noobs wandering in, exploring, being facinated by Kothari's build. So, I have to keep the ban lines up. With the draw distance set at 64m I even have an unmatched view. I'm loving it. 

Kelli May wrote:

Occasionally someone has put up a plywood or fullbright monstrosity (sometime, in the early days, that was me)

is this understanding that seperates the actual mainlanders, from the tourists who book into hostel accomodation so dont have to pay hotel rates

and then complain all night to the concierge about the party up going on in the next room

or the same room even sometimes when is 6 or 8 bunks to a room, with strangers on them. Singing and getting wasted and chatting loud and laughing and ogling each other

(:

STAY. OFF. MY. LAND. hehehehehehe

I pay for it. I PAY for the priviledge of living in the MASTERPIECE built by the greatest architect in the HISTORY of Second Life. It was started in 2005 and completed in 2006 and NO ONE has built a better house in prims sculptie or mesh in all these years. YOU probably never even heard of Juro so what do you care. (Very few without a Legacy name have; but Second Life didnt start they day you first rezzed lmao).

If anybody has go visit the A. Butler House or the C. Apollo Home. or Castle Blackmoor. I unnastan that they are kinda like museums and stuff. hehehehehe

As an aside, I really don't mind being called a douche bag by the likes of YOU. I mean who are YOU? I've been called much worse by WAY more noteworthy people with VASTLY superior turns of phrases. One of those famous artist Oh's once called me a coockroach. Hehehehe. That Rockstar Flogger P. Neva once called me odious (as if odium smarts lol). Though...a very FORMER sex bed maker refferred to me as The KING of Second Life. Hehehehehehe Get BIG Lil' Resident. Come back when you've BECOME somebody.

("You're MEAN beacuse you use ban lines!" Hehehehehe Go hang out in a sandbox!).

Now I GET why L. Carducci never talked to noobs hehehehehehe

Jumpman Lane wrote:

I've been called much worse by WAY more noteworthy people with VASTLY superior turns of phrases.

It's sentences such as this that garner you my appreciation, regardless of whether or not you actually care to acquire it.

...Dres

Jumpman Lane wrote:

:P

Seacrh the old forums. You'll find that Jumpman Lane is NOTHING if not a good sport! I'm STILL in the Forum Cartel!

Jumpy, sweety. I may not have been in the forum cartel for as long as you , but I am a member of the cartel. You see, I just recently started posting with this account, primarily because, on my old Dresden Ceriano account, people would use my post count and forum rank to mock me.  So, understand that your mocking me because of my lack of post counts and rank only serves to amuse me.

...Dres (I also know a bag of douche when I see it.)

Dresden you are a bigger re re than I thought. Hehehehe I was just lamenting in the Cartel's chat a few weeks ago how denuded The Forum Cartel had become, playing some tardy word association game, spamming chat when they should be over here in the forums stirring up trouble. Hehehehehe. At least you are and with ME no less. For that I DO applaud you. But come on. To bow down to a pack of turdy noobs particularly these NEW noobs caws they were PICKING on YOU for NOT being a NOOB. Geeze THAT is NOT in the spirit of C. Norse who founded the Forum Cartel with whom I waged spirited flame wars with and suffered in world suspensions with and over. Lol C. Norse and I became great pals because HE gave as good as he got.

So witch up, lil witch! To create an alt to "fit in" with a pack of saps not worth acknowledging is nothing to be proud of. Trying to stay out of trouble when faced with noobs emboldened by the over moderation of these neutered forums is understandable. Yet, eating a three day suspension is far more honorable. I unno just saying. I ain't even mad at ya Dres

Dresden wrote:

Jumpman Lane wrote:

:P

Seacrh the old forums. You'll find that Jumpman Lane is NOTHING if not a good sport! I'm STILL in the Forum Cartel!

<snip>  

people would use my post count and forum rank to mock me.  

</snip>

...Dres (I also know a bag of douche when I see it.)

Hoshi bugs you?

I get rather amused by Hoshi's silliness.

Israel Schnute wrote:

The one thing I am curious out, is this scenario:

Someone owns a parcel of land for many many years.

It either goes up for sale, and someone else buys it, or it just changes hands on day.

Someone puts up a half built build, or a monstrosity.

It gets abandoned hours, days, or one week later.

That's not strange at all. Building a good home in Second Life takes a bit of time and dedication. Lots of people don't realize that until they've tried and failed. ;-)

Israel Schnute wrote:

But thank goodness I don't have any giant hearts around yet.

Oh yes, I wasn't going to mention this but here are some of my personal rules for finding a good place on Mainland:

1. Visit the place and look around. Do you like the place? Will your build fit in with what's already there?
  2. Check the neighborhood for ban lines and security orbs. A few of them are only to be expected but if you are completely surrounded by blocked off areas, you might as well go for an island - or a sim-on-a-stick as Ohjiro suggested.
  3. If the parcel is on the Corsica continent, repeat the first two points. Some parts of that continent are still true gems, others are most definitely not.
  4. While you're at the parcel, hit ctrl-shift-1 and scroll down to "Spare time" in the statisitcs window that appears (You may have to click on "Time" there first to see it). Ideally Spare time should be at least 10 ms. If it's lower than 5 ms, you probably don't want to live in that sim.
  5. Do not under any circumstance buy a parcel in a sim with lots of breedables, especially not those big cats - lions and tigers and such.
  6. Keep at least one full sim between your place and any red hearts on black background on the map.
  7. If possible, stay well away from big advertising signs on the map. (A few small ones are usually OK.)
  8. Stay away from any sim with "Nautilus" in its name.
  9. Bay City, The Grandfather sims, the Color sims and the better parts of the Hidden Lake District are quite a bit more expensive than most other locations. Well worth the extra price if you're especially interested in the themes there but not if you're just looking for a generic mainland parcel. (I'm sure there are other similar areas too but those are the ones I can remember right now.)
  10. If you're looking for a parcel by the sea, make sure it's protected water or you risk ending up with a nasty surprise like mgjackson did.
  11. Standard price for generic mainland is 0.5-1 L$/square meter. Prices much higher than that means either that it's a special high value area or that the seller is too optimistic (or both). Even so, don't be too concerned about paying a few extra Lindens. It's the tier that matters in the long run, not the purchase price.

I have owned or rented just about any kind of land (or apartment) you can think of over the years -- both mainland and private lands.  They have each worked for me at the time for my needs. Needs change of course.

If you want stability and an overall sense of community I think the themed private lands are the best. I lived in Winterfell three times and on the Bayou for almost a year I think.    Typically these are double prim lots (you don't really need that these days with mesh but in the past it was important). There is a lot of community land and so you neighbors CAN'T be too close. There are rules such as types of houses, no skyboxes at 100 meter etc.  I liked that. And there is a community feel.

On the mainland where I have my shop and some group land -- it is much like many said. Sometimes you have great neighbors, sometimes not. My shop is in a surround so it really doesn't matter. Our group hang out land is protected view land so really it is just the folks in back of you that can be -- well let's say ugly.   You can adjust as needed and we have over the years. 

No matter how the neighbors look when you buy, you can pretty much guarantee they will change unless you move out in a few months. So if you can get land on the water or next to linden land (or even abandoned land these days as there are lots that have been abandoned for MANY years -- hence no neighbors, just bumpy grass) that gives you a bit of an edge. I have almost always had land on the water of at least on a cliff with a view of the water.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.