Backing up Preferences in Blender

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So current machine (it's been a good one) has a hard drive on death's door and it is almost five years old. So new super spiffy computer coming (waiting waiting waiting).

Is there a file that I can copy over to my backup drive and reinstall when I get Blender on the new machine?  My search is bringing up a lot of OLD and conflicting advice which isn't giving me a lot of confidence :D.

Going from Win7 to Win10 and one newer version of Blender .  I do have various startup files saved depending on what I am working on (mostly lighting setups for cycles). But anything that makes the "new computer" process easier is good.

Thanks.

Hello Chic,

You need two files contained in Blender’s Config folder in AppData. These are hidden by default, so I’ll assume they are hidden in your system as well.

In windows 7 go to Start menu, Control Panel, Folder Options.

Under the View tab, check “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”. Click Apply and Ok.

Now go to start and click on your personal folder on the top right (its name is the name of your pc).

Once there you should see the AppData folder.

Click AppData, Roaming, Blender Foundation, Blender, 2.XX, and you’ll get to the Config folder.

Close Blender if it’s running and copy the Config folder and save it in a folder in your backup drive or disk.

On the new PC, once you’ve installed Blender, again locate the Config folder.

Delete the two files “startup” and “userpref”. Then copy these two same files from the backup folder and paste them there as replacement.

Then close everything, restart the computer (not necessary but a good idea), and open Blender to check if the changes have taken effect.

Devriv wrote:

Delete the two files “
startup
” and “
userpref
”. Then copy these two same files from the backup folder and paste them there as replacement.

Then close everything, restart the computer (not necessary but a good idea), and open Blender to check if the changes have taken effect.

Please take care that the blender versions are the same when you do the copy. It might or might not work otherwise.Well, normally newer blender versions can read older configuration files, but sometimes this can get messy.

And it is really not necessary to restart the computer. But restarting blender is indeed necessary to make it fully work.

Thanks. I will be changing versions as I mentioned, so may not worry about it. I know what I have changed (not terribly much) and use individual starting files depending on what I am making (lighting set ups in cycles mostly). So my "startup" file is fairly normal except for turning a few things on.

NOTHING like setting up Firestorm on a new version when the automatic backup settings didn't work (painful) :D.

Appreciate the warning.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.