Unable to drop mesh objects

Tenshi Catteneo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have aquired several items of mesh clothing which I cannot access. When I click to "wear", the boxed item appears, attached to my hand, as normally happens, but when I try to drop to open it, I get a message saying "You can't drop mesh attachments. Detach to inventory, then rez inworld". I do not know what this means. I am no newbie, & after 8-plus years I am pretty experienced & familiar with opening boxes, & wearing the contents, both system & mesh, but this has me stumped. It is only a problem with certain items. I have attempted opening in various sandboxes, but always with the same result, & tried everything within my knowledge to figure this out, but I am out of ideas now. Any suggestions on how this can be resolved would be much appreciated

4 answers to this question

Your problem is your "wear-and-drop" technique of getting stuff out of your inventory.  That's not the best way, and as you have found, it doesn't work for everything.

In a spot where you can rez objects, like a sandbox, open your inventory.  Put your mouse cursor over the item in your inventory.  Click and hold the left mouse button.  Holding the left mouse button, drag the item from your inventory window to the ground, and release the mouse button.  (This is called "drag and drop" but I described it in different terms because you have this mental picture of "drop" meaning "drop something you are wearing.")

• Like 2

You can't drop mesh attachments.   If you want to rez it in world to (for example) re-texture it, you have to detach it (not drop it) and then drag it from your inventory onto the ground, as you would any other object.

If you want to edit it while wearing it, I think Firestorm and several other tpvs allow that.   

Bear in mind, though, that there's not much you can do with rigged mesh other than recolour and retexture it (or drop scripts into it, I guess).

Well, mesh doesn't drop by its nature but I find even when you try to rez it out, it often says "The owner of the parcel won't let you" even if you ARE the owner of the parcel.

So I have started using "rez boards" and handing them out to my tenants, i.e. a prim you put down first before you attempt to rez out a mesh thing, then you delete that prim board later. Not ideal but there it is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.