[Resolved.]Graphic card performance

TinabunsSweettooth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi TinabunsSweettooth

All I know is, that it is not always the best to upgrade graphic cards to the latest version ... Sometimes you will get a better performance, if you select an older update... This has been the case for me, at least.

For more help from others who know a lot more than me, it would be a help if you edit your question, and tell which graphic card you are using.

You can edit the question by selecting options in the right side of your post, and select edit :matte-motes-smile:

When you buy a new card, it's almost inevitable that you will have to upgrade your graphics card drivers.  After all, the drivers in your machine were designed for the old card.  Not only that, but the new card almost certainly sat on the shelf in a warehouse for a while, so any drivers that may have been packaged with it are now out of date.  So, go to the manufacturer's web site and upload the current drivers for the new card.

Also, please note that NVIDIA graphics cards may cause driver-related problems. After installing the latest NVIDIA drivers, the Second Life® Viewer may crash with an error message that states: "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware." This appears to be a problem with the NVIDIA drivers' initial installation: the first time the install process is run, something fails silently — a file or set of files doesn't copy properly, but the installer doesn't give you any notice that something went wrong.

There is a solution: ensure that all of your applications are closed, and install the NVIDIA drivers again. For some reason, the drivers almost always install correctly the second time.

If these steps do not solve your problem, please see NVIDIA's Driver Installation Hints.

• Like 1

I see you use a third-party website to install your drivers. This is always risky.

Depending on what operating system you're using and how it's set, you may be able to roll back to the previously installed driver. I know you can do this with Windows 7, for example. Try that and see if it works.

Alternatively, and additionally in the long run, I would go to the manufacturer's website and find the latest GPU drivers there. Download the driver you need, uninstall the existing driver using your OS's tools rather than the driver's uninstall option, and then use the free utilities CCleaner and then Guru 3D Driver Sweeper to remove bits and pieces that may be left over. I won't post links since they tend to make posts vanish, but you can find them with Google easily enough, along with instructions on how to use them.

Then try installing the driver you downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

I learned about this the hard way when I spent a lot of time (and money) with my local computer store trying to sort out my graphics cards issues until they advised me to stop using third-party utilities (and Windows updates) to update my drivers and, instead, to download them directly and install them myself. Since then, no more problems.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.