The line between fraud and resident-to-resident dispute?

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I'm just not sure. A few days or so ago I read a post where someone lost an "expensive no copy item" to their friend because he gave it to them. And people said that's a dispute between residents. What if someone offered a service, but couldn't complete it even though they already got paid? Or sim owner who ejected their renters because the owner deem the resident's behavior "inappropriate" (but not breaking SL's TOS)?

Can someone please clear it up for me? Thanks :)

Good question. Fraud would be something like the people who are selling empty boxes on the marketplace. Something that LL can easily verify and does not involve he said, she said. 

If you hand your money over to someone, tho, in most cases you do so knowing there is a risk, so if you get burned, its on you.

lucagrabacr wrote:

Hello, I'm just not sure. A few days or so ago I read a post where someone lost an "expensive no copy item" to their friend because he gave it to them. And people said that's a dispute between residents. What if someone offered a service, but couldn't complete it even though they already got paid? Or sim owner who ejected their renters because the owner deem the resident's behavior "inappropriate" (but not breaking SL's TOS)?

Can someone please clear it up for me? Thanks
:)

Easy enough.

A few days or so ago I read a post where someone lost an "expensive no copy item" to their friend because he gave it to them.

One resident taking advantage of another gullible resident within the rules is not a LL problem.

What if someone offered a service, but couldn't complete it even though they already got paid?

One resident taking advantage of another gullible resident within the rules is not a LL problem.

Or sim owner who ejected their renters because the owner deem the resident's behavior "inappropriate" (but not breaking SL's TOS)?

Owners can eject a renter because they don't like their hat. One resident taking advantage of another gullible resident within the rules is not a LL problem.

You see the pattern here I guess. LL are not in the business of providing free insurance cover for gullible or stupid people. For those who disagree, the courts remain at their disposal.

lucagrabacr wrote:

Generally the line is there, where an avatar's action can damage the reputation of LL as a business / company - and where an avatar's action only influences another avatar.

The TOS is made as clear as they can be, but grey zones can never be avoid ... So you can not really know where the line is, before you have asked LL Support, in every specific case when you feel cheated. (In case you are not able to use your own common sense, about when you have been too naive yourself). :matte-motes-wink:

lucagrabacr wrote:

Hello, I'm just not sure. A few days or so ago I read a post where someone lost an "expensive no copy item" to their friend because he gave it to them. And people said that's a dispute between residents.

He willingly gave the item to someone so it is a dispute not fraud.  He should have known there was a possiblity it would not be returned to him, but he did it anyway.

What if someone offered a service, but couldn't complete it even though they already got paid?

Again this is a dispute because someone willingly turned over money before the work was complete.  Also the general policy is Buyer Beware.

Or sim owner who ejected their renters because the owner deem the resident's behavior "inappropriate" (but not breaking SL's TOS)?

Sim owners can boot anyone they want to any time they want to and dont't even have to have a reason.  Sim owners can also establish rules even more strict than the TOS and decide what is appropriate behavior on their sim.  So not fraud, not even a dispute if the renter broke rules or behaved inappropriately.  It may be a personal dispute over whether the behavior was appropriate or not, but the sim owner wins every time.

However any landlord that takes money in from people and then kicks them out for no reason at all doesn't stay in business long.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.