Sign in to follow this  
Wili Clip

Avatar as a BRAND - How to make your avatar unique

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Its pretty simple.

Start a virtual company within Second Life. But it has to be soemthing that works and is profitable and helps a lot of people. I did something liek this...

Once you ahve that then make your avatar look unique and then never change its look or clothes. Because once it looks good it looks good and people will remember it.

Why don't you have your brand on your badge?

I could not use my avatar as a 'brand' because I love the freedom to change things (like her hair) at will.  It would be too constraining for me--sort of like RL. 

There are so many people in SL who look absolutely identical. When you look unique it really stands out. I suppose it helps people to remember you better.

SID Riler wrote:

really, what about I just get that thingy that doesnt let anyone click on you to see what you wear and thats it

It doesn't work.

Aimee Weber wrote:

This is crazy talk!

ROFLCOPTER!

It's like deja vu all over again.

[ETA]

In case anyone is wondering ... Aimee trademarked her avatar a few years ago.

Wili Clip wrote:

Once you ahve that then make your avatar look unique and then
never change its look or clothes.
 Because once it looks good it looks good and people will remember it.

You have to change your look every few years in SL or you start to look dated and people won't take you seriously, case in point:

Phillip Linden.jpg

/me hopes I don't get banned for blasphemy, lol  (just kidding Phil - no really..../me winks)

Not changing clothes???

You must be kidding!!! (/me faints just at the idea of being stucked in the same dress forever) :smileysurprised:

a trademark doesnt have to be fixed, it could be flexible, with certain features that are allowed to be modified and some fixed ones. just like a trademark, some of us have certain parts of our avatars that we never change (once it gets to its final stage), and others that we change more often, i think we all are our own trademarks, we preserve certain characteristics that make us unique, that represent us. our avatar is our trademark.

Jessika Rang wrote:

You have to change your look every few years in SL or you start to look dated and people won't take you seriously, case in point:

*picture of Philip Linden*

/me hopes I don't get banned for blasphemy, lol  (just kidding Phil - no really..../me winks)

/me laughs

Unless you plan to change your AV into a 3D floating, trademarked company logo or something, then the idea of using it as a brand or trademark is nothing more than fools play. As Jessika pointed out with her oh-so-appropriate pic of Phil, one cannot remain static or latch onto a certain appearance and ever hope to not be copied and eclipsed. There is no trademarking or branding of an AV style, look, or combined appearance unless the only things that are in it are protected things not freely available to anyone else. So, unless you don't use the standard AV mesh with clothing, you won't have anything unique for very long, and no legal grounds whatsoever to defend or protect it's originality.

Usually when during my music performances I would wear iconic outfits that is unique to my style.  People that know me from the gatherings expect a certain appearance. 

The thing with making your avatar into a 'brand' is that probably you'd be the only person to notice you'd done so.

I started a sort of brand soon after I came to SL, called Egotherapy, really just as a bit of fun, although I did market a few things under the name.   I even have outfit, a logo and a flag, all in the green, yellow and red of Egotherapy.  But, as I say, it's just a bit of fun.

I have never changed my looks in SL though, apart from tweaks to make the original look better.  I do wear different clothes, of course, and sometimes I tie my hair back, sometimes it's loose - but all consistent.  If there is a 'default' Conifer look, it has to be my blue, purple, turquoise and black patchwork leotard.  The first one wore out so I made another and it's unique as I havent given any copies away or sold any.

I have no more interesting in "branding" Relm than I do in branding me. But I decided ages ago that certain aspects of Relm wouldn't change. Her shape doesn't change, except that I've made small tweaks to measurements here and there. She wears the same line of skins and has blond hair unless she's dyed it. She has elf ears. In short, she's always the same person. But her clothes change because otherwise...ew. Plus there's no way in heck I could be happy with the same outfit all the time. Even day to day. It depends on my mood, the "weather," whatever.

I would hate to consider my avatar as "a brand".I think the way each one personalizes it makes each of them pretty unique. In 3 years in SL, I have never met a "clone" repliqua of my avi. Being creative with hair, eyes, mixing clothes, AOs, etc, allow you to have your own special look which will make people recognize you in any circumstances. (not even mentioning the way you talk to people!). I call it personality.

My avs used to be their own unique brand, usually recognized by the more real life approach shape wise (i.e. chubs)...ah the old times:mansad:

Ser's back b*tches!

valerie Inshan wrote:

I would hate to consider my avatar as "a brand".I think the way each one personalizes it makes each of them pretty unique. In 3 years in SL, I have never met a "clone" repliqua of my avi. Being creative with hair, eyes, mixing clothes, AOs, etc, allow you to have your own special look which will make people recognize you in any circumstances. (not even mentioning the way you talk to people!). I call it personality.

I concur with your experience Val. I have never come across any other avi anywhere near my appearance. Mostly because I had both my shape and my skin commissioned and made exclusive.

It is based on a skin I wore before it that I got in a freebie package when I first started in SL. I loved the look, and I got a lot of attention, but I was always wondering how many other people had my same package that could simply put on the same skin, so I decided to customize everything.

Nobody knew who the designer was, and I spent 3 months trying to track him/her down with no success. Originally I wanted to make my tattoos, tanlines, and baby oil a part of the skin itself (this was before tattoo layers), but then it took on a life of its own. I ended up having a direct hand in how my features turned out and from where, including hilariously enough, my nose which is based directly on Kristen Kreuk's from Smallville, since she had a similar base look for what I was going for.

It cost me a lot but I think it was worth it. I decided against the tattoos, but I got everything else, in multiple skin complexions (so I can actually tan after all unlike RL), with the .PSD files, and I will probably never change, so regardless of what I wear, I will always be unique.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.