Prepaid gift cards

Deb171992

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

23 answers to this question

pre paid credit cards do not excist... it are DEBIT cards

and generally they will not work with SL

as seen on the list below, quoted from the knowledge base, it are only credti cards, and two other payment methods , paypal and skrill

You may use the following payment methods with Second Life:

• Visa
  • American Express
  • MasterCard
  • Delta Online (non-U.S. Residents only)
  • JCB
  • Diners Club
  • Discover (U.S. Residents only)
  • Visa Electron (non-U.S. Residents only)
  • PayPal
  • Skrill

The currencies accepted for payment include:

• CAD, AUD, JPY, EUR, GBP for non-U.S. Residents, and
    • USD for U.S. Residents

• Like 4

Alwin is absolutely right.  Here's the Linden Lab statement on the matter ....

A common cause of payment method failure is the use of unsupported card types. At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards.

Notice the words "the majority".  They mean the same thing that Alwin said when he wrote "generally". Some people have been lucky with some gift cards sometimes, but it's a crap shoot. Very few gift cards work in SL, and some of those will work fine for a while and then stop working.  The best idea is to avoid the frustration and use one of the approved payment pethods that Alwin listed.

• Like 3

No. As that statement says, most prepaid cards do not work in SL. Stick with one of the approved credit cards or PayPal or Skrill.. PayPal is your best choice. If you ever want to be able to take money OUT of SL, that';s the only way to do it, so it's good to have PayPal for bringing money IN too.

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't ignoring you. RL had other ideas. You cannot pay Linden Lab in L$ because, as it says in the TOS (Sect 4.5), L$ "are not redeemable for monetary value from Linden Lab". You have to sell them to other SL residents on the Linden Exchange so that you have USD in your account. When you want to pay Linden Lab, therefore, you have two choices. You either sell L$ to add to your account balance, or you let Linden Lab charge your PayPal or credit card account directly. They will always use what's in your account in SL first and only turn to your registered payment method for any remaining balance.--||-

That's fine. If I were easily annoyed, I wouldn't be spending time trying to answer questions. ;) Your best reference for basic questions is usually the Knowledge Base (in this case, https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Billing/ta-p/700037 ), but if you ever have trouble finding an answer there or if you can't understand it, post in Answers. Someone will usually respond pretty fast.

Yes, in my opinion. You can use PayPal or an approved credit card or Skrill to bring money into SL, but you can only use PayPal to take it out again. If you never intend to take money back out again, then it doesn't make much difference which one of the three choices you make. Do read all the notes on that page regarding a PayPal account so that you understand how it's to be done. It's really not very difficult.

The answer is NO---

NO prepaid cards will work for SL (even if they have the visa/mastercard/ American express logo on it)

Only cards from a bank - with the visa/mastercard/AMerican Express

One of the reasons for no prepaid cards is that is no relaible address in case the funds "bounce/charge back" and LL doesn get paid when you buy lindens....espcially when it comes to charge back fees on LL's end

I hope tha thelps

• Like 1

Up until August my Vanilla Master Card gift card worked. I'm not sure what changed, but it doesn't any more. I understand the issue that gift cards can cause with someone spending more than they have on it and then the charge gets rejected and the merchant is screwed. Why doesn't Linden Labs just put a 24 or 48 hour hold on purchases made with gift cards and wait until the funds clear? I would be fine with that and I'm sure a lot of others that do not want their real cards and info out there would be too. They are passing up a lot of money.

• Like 1

OliveHart said:

Up until August my Vanilla Master Card gift card worked. I'm not sure what changed, but it doesn't any more.[ .... ]

What changed is that Linden Lab is using a new credit card processor, so the few prepaid cards that used to work until mid-summer don't work any more.  Or most of them don't.  As before, the issue is whether a card can handle instant transfer of funds both ways. If it can't, the accounting system times out and rejects the transaction.  It's a security issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.