Have we all been SL Divorced?

Ima Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jessika Rang wrote:

(Hi cousin!)

These forums have felt odd from the beginning - but maybe they are getting better.  At first it seemed that my posts spelled the death of a thread - no replies, no nothing (I was getting a little paranoid)... but lately its maybe a little better.  To be honest I am thrilled with the one Kudo I received on the answers tab.  I have never been one to subscribe to a thread - and here it seems that many threads die off the first page and are forgotten so I scan thru but don't spend as much time as I used to - I am actually spending more time in world.

Just posting so you will not have killed the thread :smileywink:

Jessika Rang wrote:

omg thank you so much....!  :smileysurprised:

uh oh... now i will have to wait and hope and yea verily pray that someone else will post after me... oh the stress!

*Points up - you remain safe - which is possibly far more than can be said for me :smileywink:

Seicher Rae wrote:<snip>

Well, don't kiss the Blarney stone today! Yick! That is so unhygienic!

There's a new Irish themed pub on my commute and they have Guinness on tap. I've already told you I'm hoisting one (and then drinking it!) in your honor.

I kissed the Blarney stone a few times as a kid - I seem to have survived - not sure about getting the 'gift of the gab' though - Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig and have fun :smileyhappy:

Ima Rang wrote:

I have noted that since the new forum has been implemented, that I have spent less and less time in world...

I know how you feel. After the RA forums were axed, I felt that way. That forum was a big part of my SL social life. It was hand-in-glove with my inworld social life.

Unfortunately, that's one thing that LL just doesn't get, so when there is real community in the forum we have to enjoy it and when it isn't there, find a way to deal.

I'm finding that Twitter and the Offworld forum are doing it for me.

Sorry for the quick derail....

@Pep:  You posted a screenshot in the last day or so (can't find it :( ) and I noticed at the bottom of your screen, the toolbar I think, you had different times posted (UK, PST, etc...)  How did you do that?  Is there a setting in our browser or is it a program you run?  Thanks in advance :smileytongue:  Kylie

lol, nah...I think I've admitted to having Ashe before :smileytongue:  Have a financial problem in real and can't pay my main until later this afternoon :smileysurprised:  but, she'll be back :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the info, yes, I agree about it being handy...the purpose I want to use it for.

Pep wrote:

Hmmm, an alt? Quick, delete the post if you don't want to out yourself!
The times are the display of FoxClocks, an addin for Firefox, which is user configurable and very handy for knowing when the LL staff in SF leave for the weekend. Pep

Or to remind you that in *some* place in the world it is Opening Time.

Cheers!

Ima Rang wrote:

The new forums just feel ick.  Like you can't find your peeps...a community split...I miss you guys:smileysad:

I have noted that since the new forum has been implemented, that I have spent less and less time in world.  Anyone else?  Feels like some huge disconnect took place and that only seems relevant to me as I was least liked on the forums, can't imagine how the people that were actually highly regarded must be feeling....What's going on? 

I have also felt that. Very odd that you posted this thread.

Cabbage Acanthus wrote:

I know what you mean when you say disjointed.  The forums have been hit pretty hard.

I had gotten quite used to seeing you guys around and do feel the loss of the messy old General Discussions forum.

It would be nice for LL to be able to distinguish between "cleaning" and "killing" something but we all know what they are like.

My SL usage has been tapering off for quite some time.  I only go to a few places now but do quite enjoy those.  I guess my SL usage has dwindled a bit since the death of the forums but I don't know if I can attribute that to the end of the forums or not.  It is much more likely that my reduced presence on SL and the destruction of the forums are both due to the same root cause. 

I also can't help but notice that the Off Topic area, the area most like the old GD forum is now invisible unless you sign in.  In other words, the public at large can no longer see what we are are talking about in here.

If the old group is chatting online somewheres, somebody IM me inworld with the specifics.  If not, we should, darnit.

To me its all discombobulated... I also really miss some my favorite formites witty responses.... The ones I've talked to inworld since the change have said they do not like this new forum and will probably not return  :smileysad:

Also Cabbage.. I had no idea until reading your post that "Off Topic" could not be seen unless I'm signed in.. I was wondering why it seemed to appear and dissapear... (the blonde in me) :smileysurprised:

Took me forever to figure out how to even get here to this new forum and then find the "Off Topic" area that I guess is supposed to replace the general discussion from the last forum.  I miss the old forum..not the bickering and spam of course but just the feel of community and ease of use along with a feeling of belonging that I just don't find as easy to get here.  I spend very little time in SL anymore and yes I feel the old forum being gone is a part of that, hard to explain really.  As someone else mentioned further up I to also don't like the community mailer thing...I liked seeing who was replying.  THis whole thing does feel very awkward and not at all inviting which is really sad.  I miss keeping up with and following so many peoples replies from the old forum.  Ahhh the old days....smiles and waves to the old forumites

The new Forum format, (specifically, the incredible pain in the ass to go through a thread and the lack of recent posts on my dashboard and the crushingly repressive "thou shalt only talk about SL!" mentality) has made it so unappealing that I only come on when I am excruciatingly bored in an airport and the only other thing to do is lacerate my flesh with rusty objects, which are hard to come across once you are through security.

Hmmm, maybe smashing my head on the corner of this mini-cubicle in the lounge would be more entertaining than working my way further through this "forum".  Lord knows it cannot be much less entertaining than this is.

I feel disconnected from folks I regularly interacted with here previously, whom I miss a lot, and that has indeed undermined my engagement with SL as a whole.  Now, I pretty much stick to my own little world there in SL, rather than meeting people here and thereby finding new friends and places to explore.

This disconnect is well demonstrated by the fact that it took 5 days for me to reply to you, Ima, and you're one of a dozen or so whose names I would routinely see on my dashboard and say, "hmmm what's Ima got to say on that?"

Tolya Ugajin wrote:

The new Forum format, (specifically, the incredible pain in the ass to go through a thread and the lack of recent posts on my dashboard and the crushingly repressive "thou shalt only talk about SL!" mentality) has made it so unappealing that I only come on when I am excruciatingly bored in an airport and the only other thing to do is lacerate my flesh with rusty objects, which are hard to come across once you are through security.

Hmmm, maybe smashing my head on the corner of this mini-cubicle in the lounge would be more entertaining than working my way further through this "forum".  Lord knows it cannot be much less entertaining than this is.

I feel disconnected from folks I regularly interacted with here previously, whom I miss a lot, and that has indeed undermined my engagement with SL as a whole.  Now, I pretty much stick to my own little world there in SL, rather than meeting people here and thereby finding new friends and places to explore.

This disconnect is well demonstrated by the fact that it took 5 days for me to reply to you, Ima, and you're one of a dozen or so whose names I would routinely see on my dashboard and say, "hmmm what's Ima got to say on that?"

I miss you too :smileysad:

It is hard for to determine if LL really wanted this forum to turn into a pool of apathy or if those who demanded 24/7 moderation delivered with an iron fist just got what they asked for. 

I have a fo rum that is empty...please come by Toyla, we will have all the bandwidth to ourselves:smileywink:

I too miss a lot of the people who were regular posters here. They've scattered all over. Some are on Twitter and others are on various third party forums. And some have migrated nowhere and can only be found inworld. I'm nostalgic for the community that had formed here.

Ima, I agree that "disjointed" is the perfect word to describe the new forum. I never know which subforums to look in to find interesting threads. It's too splintered.

Quinn Morani wrote:

I too miss a lot of the people who were regular posters here. They've scattered all over. Some are on Twitter and others are on various third party forums. And some have migrated nowhere and can only be found inworld. I'm nostalgic for the community that had formed here.

Ima, I agree that "disjointed" is the perfect word to describe the new forum. I never know which subforums to look in to find interesting threads. It's too splintered.

It seems even worse than disjointed now.  It feels like a graveyard.  :smileysad:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.