Have we all been SL Divorced?

Ima Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The new forums just feel ick.  Like you can't find your peeps...a community split...I miss you guys:smileysad:

I have noted that since the new forum has been implemented, that I have spent less and less time in world.  Anyone else?  Feels like some huge disconnect took place and that only seems relevant to me as I was least liked on the forums, can't imagine how the people that were actually highly regarded must be feeling....What's going on? 

I think the main issue seems to be the number of 'subforums' there are so many distinct places for people to post on so many things that there doesn't seem to be a central communication spot anymore. Maybe as people get used to it they will gravitate to the off topic forum - but I think the lack of points for posting here will inhibit that a bit to be honest.

Time will tell no doubt - but it is all a wee bit 'disjointed' at the moment.

:smileywink:

Mags Indigo wrote:

I think the main issue seems to be the number of 'subforums' there are so many distinct places for people to post on so many things that there doesn't seem to be a central communication spot anymore. Maybe as people get used to it they will gravitate to the off topic forum - but I think the lack of points for posting here will inhibit that a bit to be honest.

Time will tell no doubt - but it is all a wee bit 'disjointed' at the moment.

Maybe that is it.  Having 'General Discussions' only did make it easier to find your way to threads you were interested in.  Do we get points with the new forum or just kudos in answers? 

Does seem all disjointed....like you need to sing "Bring my People Home," without the religious implication, of course :smileywink:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Hey Ima,  I still spend approximately the same amount of time inworld.  It varies day-to-day, but it's fairly consistent.  It is harder to 'find' things in these subforums and sometimes things are duplicated but i am kind of getting used to it.

Hey Venus!  I don't know why the lack of forum interaction has depleted my desire for inworld.  It is really hard to find things here.  I like the one area for "off topic" or general discussions that we enjoyed before.  I also don't like the community mailer thing...I liked seeing who was replying.  Good to see you :smileyhappy:

Holocluck Henly wrote:

I've never relied on these forums.  SL is so big that most of the inworld yammerings and biases discussed reflect activity which never crosses my path.

That's the beauty of Second Life.  I'm here and the drama is happening with those little dots on the map wayyyyy over there.

Hmmm...so maybe I have a preference for concentrated drama where you prefer global drama...lol!  j/k...:smileyvery-happy:

Ima Rang wrote:<snip>

Do we get points with the new forum or just kudos in answers? 

Does seem all disjointed....like you need to sing "Bring my People Home," without the religious implication, of course :smileywink:

One gets points for posting in all the other forums - Off Topic is the only one that doesn't add to points. Kudos are awarded only in the Answers, Commerce and Content Creation Forums. 

Not that it matters too much to me - I'm not especially talented enough in any area to earn Kudos anyway. :smileyhappy:

Mags Indigo wrote:

One gets points for posting in all the other forums - Off Topic is the only one that doesn't add to points. Kudos are awarded only in the Answers, Commerce and Content Creation Forums. 

Not that it matters too much to me - I'm not especially talented enough in any area  to earn Kudos anyway. :smileyhappy:

LOL!  I understand completely!  I am not talented enough to earn a Kudo either.  I think that is why I had such great affection for 'General Discussions' in the old forum because it did not matter that I was absent answers...opinion...good or bad was sufficient.  :smileyhappy:

Ima Rang wrote:

Mags Indigo wrote:

Not that it matters too much to me - I'm not especially talented enough in any area  to earn Kudos anyway. :smileyhappy:

LOL!  I understand completely!  I am not talented enough to earn a Kudo either.  I think that is why I had such great affection for 'General Discussions' in the old forum because it did not matter that I was absent answers...opinion...good or bad was sufficient.  :smileyhappy:

Aww don`t underestimate yourselves, you both have kudos...Mags has 2!! :)

Peewee Musytari wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Mags Indigo wrote:

Aww don`t underestimate yourselves, you both have kudos...Mags has 2!!
:)

I have kudos...sniffs...How can I tell if I have kudos? 

Ima Rang wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Hey Ima,  I still spend approximately the same amount of time inworld.  It varies day-to-day, but it's fairly consistent.  It is harder to 'find' things in these subforums and sometimes things are duplicated but i am kind of getting used to it.

Hey Venus!  I don't know why the lack of forum interaction has depleted my desire for inworld.  It is really hard to find things here.  I like the one area for "off topic" or general discussions that we enjoyed before.  I also don't like the community mailer thing...I liked seeing who was replying.  Good to see you :smileyhappy:

I believe that the 'richer' topics will appear in Off Topic, despite no post count.  I am here for fun and entertainment wherever it leads me.  I do know that Amanda and Lexie Linden read posts and take feedback to heart.  It was as a result of feedback that we got the Off Topic forum and the ability for everyone posting to post vids (it used to be for Member ranks upward).  Also, as a result of feedback, they are/have created an area for adult content creators/land owners to convene to discuss adult topics.  It is a 'by request only' subforum but I would (still) like the same type of forum for the rest of adult residents who are interested. 

Ima Rang wrote:

The new forums just feel ick.  Like you can't find your peeps...a community split...I miss you guys:smileysad:

I have noted that since the new forum has been implemented, that I have spent less and less time in world.  Anyone else?  Feels like some huge disconnect took place and that only seems relevant to me as I was least liked on the forums, can't imagine how the people that were actually highly regarded must be feeling....What's going on? 

Techcrunch recently introduced Facebook comments on their blog, it has reduced trolling, it has reduced comments too, these forums feel the same, if everyone wants a Stepford Wives forum, then this is the place to be, for those of us who don't mind mind a wee bit of debating and giggles, it's sterile.

Exactly!  It is too sterile.  I understand, to some degree, the desire for everyone to play nice, nice...but honestly, there just is not that much entertaining about nice, nice.  It also does not encourage reflection or creativity or a sense of community.  There must be something between anarchy and 99% full on censorship? 

I have not been here much but I did note that the off topic category was produced expediently.  Maybe the whold SL section could be parsed a bit?  Maybe to much delineation is causing the disconnect...the loss of the sense of community?

Ima Rang wrote:

Exactly!  It is too sterile.  I understand, to some degree, the desire for everyone to play nice, nice...but honestly, there just is not that much entertaining about nice, nice.  It also does not encourage reflection or creativity or a sense of community.  There must be something between anarchy and 99% full on censorship? 

When D ick Van D yke ends up being **bleep** van **bleep**, you know the censorship has gone too far.

Boo Jacobus wrote:

DISJOINTED!!! yes! that's the word I was looking for! I've felt it too, but couldn't find the word I wanted. Thank you for expressing what the new forum feels like to me.

THIS^^^^ 

thats it exactly. I don't like this new forum either.I think Ive posted like 5 times since it opened. Disjointed is a good word, but they are also somehow uncomfortable. this place feels like a hospital or something, like it's not designed to make you want to pull up a seat and stay awhile. Its too sterile or something.

i would LOVE to see some simple opinion buttons to agree or disagree or whatever like those that exist ON EVERY SINGLE OTHER FORUM on the webz. I don't like the new avatars here either, for those of you with dark backgrounds on your 'BADGE" (whatever the heck that is, anyway) are you aware no one can see, let alone read, your name at all? Why can't this forum just be like a forum? It's like LL thinks everything they do has to LOOK like the newest and bestest and shiniest toy on the block, to heck with whether it WORKS or not... 

but there is an upside to it, I waste lots less time here.

Ima Rang wrote:

It has become tl:dr so a Twitter movement was accomplished:smileywink:

Ima Rang wrote

:..Feels like some huge disconnect took place and that only seems relevant to me as I was least liked on the forums, can't imagine how the people that were actually highly regarded must be feeling....What's going on? 

Well, for the record...you weren't the least liked on the forums as far as I was concerned.  

Feel better now?    : ) : )    *waves to Ima*

I know what you mean when you say disjointed.  The forums have been hit pretty hard.

I had gotten quite used to seeing you guys around and do feel the loss of the messy old General Discussions forum.

It would be nice for LL to be able to distinguish between "cleaning" and "killing" something but we all know what they are like.

My SL usage has been tapering off for quite some time.  I only go to a few places now but do quite enjoy those.  I guess my SL usage has dwindled a bit since the death of the forums but I don't know if I can attribute that to the end of the forums or not.  It is much more likely that my reduced presence on SL and the destruction of the forums are both due to the same root cause. 

I also can't help but notice that the Off Topic area, the area most like the old GD forum is now invisible unless you sign in.  In other words, the public at large can no longer see what we are are talking about in here.

If the old group is chatting online somewheres, somebody IM me inworld with the specifics.  If not, we should, darnit.

(Hi cousin!)

These forums have felt odd from the beginning - but maybe they are getting better.  At first it seemed that my posts spelled the death of a thread - no replies, no nothing (I was getting a little paranoid)... but lately its maybe a little better.  To be honest I am thrilled with the one Kudo I received on the answers tab.  I have never been one to subscribe to a thread - and here it seems that many threads die off the first page and are forgotten so I scan thru but don't spend as much time as I used to - I am actually spending more time in world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.