Why dont things from my local disk cache rezz? They start rezzing, gray, partly shaped, then hang

Domitan Redenblack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why don't some things from my local disk cache rezz?

They start rezzing, gray, partly shaped, then hang, sometimes for an hour or more. They are not far away, they are clearly and directly in view in front of me, they are not small, they are not in flux, etc

My disk cache was cleaned a few days ago, I re-visited my entire parcel, rezzing everything 100%. The cache is only 350 MB on disk and I allow 1 GB in my viewer.

Why do things start to rezz and then just stop?

16 answers to this question

1. CoolViewer which is normally very very fast and is by far the most stable of all the viewers I have tried.

2. Yes, my disk cache is on a separate volume from the OS, so faster.

A thought occurred to me: the wire frame "effects" for objects (e.g. "wind")  has to come from Linden, yes? And if LL gets confused (no!) and forgets to send me the info those objects need to position themselves correctly, could this cause a delay in rezzing?

I still think the textures (local disk) should load no matter what, though...

Domitan:

Three different ideas that crossed my mind, I think the third is the most likely to consider :P

1) I assume you already checked it, but... Are you sure you have enough disc space?

2) I haven't used linux in ages (around 10 years), but I remember it used to have a partition or folder to manage dinamic memory (may be someone with more knowledge of linux can shed some light around it), and it had to have a size more or less related to your RAM size (like same or even four times it), if your disk is managing 1GB of data, I'd think the dynamic memory, pagination unit, is managing that amount, and more because your PC is not only running SL, as I said I don't know if that's still used but if it is, I'd consider making it larger to allow it to manage the 1GB you are using for SL.

3) What you say of the wind reminds me something else, objects that move forces client side updates, it is a trick fairly used to work around client-side rotation that tend to stop updating, so we add a little movement or rotation to force the client to update and continue showing it as rotating. As every trick it might have its downside, if you'd have several objects in a sim that besides rezzing are requiring to update, and these updates are too offen, client  could be stuck continuously updating those same objects instead of rezzing the remaing ones. To see if this is the reason, you could lower your view distance to a fairly low level, and walk around the sim, it should rezz as you walk, and when you reach an object that cause troubles then you'd delay on that one or the ones around it. If you have something like flying birds, rotating toys, orbs, etc, those ones should be your first suspects.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.