Do you have plans for your avatar if you die unexpectedly?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CheriColette wrote:

One question:  If you have Premium account and payment not made (I guess they would take from your account until funds run out)  why does it not revert to ordinary account and keep your avi going, why the difference?

I don't have a good answer to that question, and I doubt LL does either.

;-).

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: 
I chose the most logical, least dramatic (negative drama) one and made that person my secret keeper with instructions for my account and official announcements of my demise.

But, but . . . I didn't get the details.  Did you email me?

CheriColette wrote:

One question:  If you have Premium account and payment not made (I guess they would take from your account until funds run out)  why does it not revert to ordinary account and keep your avi going, why the difference?

is a contractual principle

example:

i contract to pay $5 a month for a service. I dont pay the $5 now owing. I have breached my contract. My account gets suspended until I do pay

i contract to pay $2,950 a month for a service. I dont pay the $2,950 ow owing. I have breached my contract. My account gets suspended until I do pay

i dont contract to pay anything. I dont pay anything. There is nothing owing. There is no contract to breach. So no reason for any suspension

+

contra-example

i contract to pay $295,000 a month for a service. I dont pay the $295,000 now owing. The person I have contracted with goes: oh! well about the money. You can keep using my service for other stuff for 0$ as if we never had any contract for $295,000

irihapeti wrote:

CheriColette wrote:

is a contractual principle

example:

i contract to pay $5 a month for a service. I dont pay the $5 now owing. I have breached my contract. My account gets suspended until I do pay

Except that LL doesn't just suspend the account, they delete it and any virtual investments you've made outside the contract. We've fielded questions over in Answers from people who were surprised that their accounts were deleted for failure to pay tier. They expected that only the service they didn't pay for would terminate. And payment is in advance here, LL risks nothing.

For a business that's been shrinking since 2009, you'd think LL would be a little more graceful than those residents who make a clumsy exit from premium membership.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Except that LL doesn't just suspend the account, they delete it and any virtual investments you've made outside the contract.

they dont delete them, suspended accounts. They go into cold storage after some time

can resurrect any account from cold storage

the issue for some people is the cold storage system. The links to your inventory items get broken sometimes, so when ressurrect then inventory borkage

+

about suspending no-payments (free) accounts

that happens as well

if have made a account with a gmail. Then never login again to the gmail. After some time gmail will cancel the email account

when the SL marketing bot periodically sends stuff to the now non-existent email (and seems also when has been no SL login activity as well for some time) then the SL account gets suspended and put into cold storage as well

so have to file a ticket to resurrect

DejaHo wrote:

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: 
I chose the most logical, least dramatic (negative drama) one and made that person my secret keeper with instructions for my account and official announcements of my demise.

But, but . . . I didn't get the details.  Did you email me?

You would make an excellent secret keeper, too. *presses a kiss to your cheek*  I would trust you to pass on my unexpected demise with tact and delicacy.  Could you find a use for all my transferable hairs, miniskirts, and stilettos?

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: You would make an excellent secret keeper, too. *presses a kiss to your cheek*  I would trust you to pass on
my unexpected demise
with tact and delicacy.  Could you find a use for all my transferable hairs, miniskirts, and stilettos?

Are you getting married?  I will certainly cry at your wedding . . . and dance at your funeral. 

Because many of us are anonymous in SL, one doesn't necessarily even know if a SL friend has actually died in RL. People can just disappear, and though one might suspect the worst one never really knows for certain.

There is also, sad to have to say, the recurring issue of fake 'deaths'. There are some well known cases, and I myself know of at least one case where a person has faked a RL death and even had a 'date of death' mentioned on a friend's profile...my suspicion being raised when their account was showing 'last online date' in groups as being after the date they 'died' ! On IMing and challenging the person I got a load of evasiveness about how 'a relative' was logged in. Strange how the 'relative' typed exactly the same as the alleged deceased and had somehow even invited the 'dead' person into a new group.

So I guess the standard SL rule applies with death as much as with anything else : -  Caveat emptor.

DejaHo wrote:

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote: You would make an excellent secret keeper, too. *presses a kiss to your cheek*  I would trust you to pass on
my unexpected demise
with tact and delicacy.  Could you find a use for all my transferable hairs, miniskirts, and stilettos?

Are you getting married?  I will certainly cry at your wedding . . . and dance at your funeral. 

soooo you do have a use for the miniskirts and stilletos. for your dancing costume

q; (:

Having secreted thousands of high yield thermonuclear weapons all over SL, which I must de-activate on a daily basis, if I go by accident I plan on taking everyone with me    mwaaaahaaaahaaaaa

Bur seriously, one of my partners passed away a few years ago after an epic battle with multiple-myeloma.  Though her prognosis was very bad from the start, her passing occurred suddenly while undergoing a treatment session.   And she had left instructions with her Mom on how to contact me.  We had agreed before hand that I would help her mother shut down her account.   It was a very painful process for both of us, but it did help start the healing process.

I have since lost a couple other very dear friends rather suddenly. .In both cases they hadn't made arrangement to shut down thier account.  In both cases their profiles can still be found on search, and I send them IMs from time to time to let them know I still think of them.   Which in a way is comforting.

Lori Paramour wrote:

Having secreted thousands of high yield thermonuclear weapons all over SL, which I must de-activate on a daily basis, if I go by accident I plan on taking everyone with me    mwaaaahaaaahaaaaa

Bur seriously, one of my partners passed away a few years ago after an epic battle with multiple-myeloma.  Though her prognosis was very bad from the start, her passing occurred suddenly while undergoing a treatment session.   And she had left instructions with her Mom on how to contact me.  We had agreed before hand that I would help her mother shut down her account.   It was a very painful process for both of us, but it did help start the healing process.

I have since lost a couple other very dear friends rather suddenly. .In both cases they hadn't made arrangement to shut down thier account.  In both cases their profiles can still be found on search, and I send them IMs from time to time to let them know I still think of them.   Which in a way is comforting.

That was good arrangement by your previous partner Lori....but one that didnt mind her mother having access to the account.  How brave her mom was to follow those instructions and helpful for you both in the grieving process. 

Aww...I wonder if those other friends got your posthumous messages. Let us know if you get any replies  :)

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.