Jump to content

Do you have plans for your avatar if you die unexpectedly?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Due to the deaths of a few SL friends over the last couple years I have been thinking about what should happen to my avatar in the event I walk out of the house tomorrow and get struck by a drunk driver.  If a person has a chronic illness, they can plan, but accidents happen.

If you are a premium member and you stop paying your bill, your account gets deactivated and everything disappears.  If you are a basic member your account/profile remains active indefinitely.  Would you want your account to live on?  Do you want someone to back it down to basic so it doesn't disappear?  Maybe you would like to keep the account open for a certain amount of time, then have it deactivated.

Would you share your password with anyone with instructions on what you want done with your account?  Will they pass on all your transferable inventory or keep it?  What about L$ in your account?  Donate it to a charity? Land owned? Would you ask them to sell it?  What about saved credit card information that might be on account?

Maybe, just for fun, you would ask someone to dress your avatar as a zombie so you can return from the dead every year on Halloween to tell ghost stories...

Have you passed on enough RL info to someone that they will know what happened to you and make an announcement about your unforeseen demise?  Maybe you just don't care.  That's fine, too.  I just wondered what plans others might decide on, if any.

I think the TOS forbids transferring accounts, so no one should incriminate themselves. IF you were to plan for the unexpected, what would you plan for?  Hypothetically, of course...

 

Cinn

Link to post
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Actually your account becomes part of your estate and it is up to the Executor to follow your instructions.  LL even has a death policy.  You should read it.


I have read it.  My Second Life account is not in my will and I can't think of a reason why I would want it there.  (I don't own a business or create anything of much value)

Do you have a plan?  Did you put your account in a will with instructions on what to do with it?  Do you want your SL to outlive your RL?

Link to post
Share on other sites


HughJegow wrote:

No, I am not going to die.

I actually believe that to be true.  Reincarnation is an interesting philosophy, but is it just the reputation you want to live on?  Will someone log in as you once a year to correct grammar or or point out failed logic? (Just as a public service)

Link to post
Share on other sites

SL is one of several online communities I haunt. I'm (for some unknown reason) a moderator at one of them. None will have any idea what happened to me if I get hit by a bus. I think this is the unavoidable consequence of anonymous communication. I have made, and will make, no plans for this.

I see no point in turning my account over to someone else to prop up my persona after I'm gone. Madelaine McMasters is the creation of my mind, not someone else's (so far as I know). Should I be memorable (which is the only "afterlife" I believe in), it'll be for the things I've done, not things others have done while pretending to be me.

And not making plans is not necessarily a matter of not caring.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

SL is one of several online communities I haunt. I'm (for some unknown reason) a moderator at one of them. None will have any idea what happened to me if I get hit by a bus. I think this is the unavoidable consequence of anonymous communication. I have made, and will make, no plans for this.

I see no point in turning my account over to someone else to prop up my persona after I'm gone. Madelaine McMasters is the creation of my mind, not someone else's (so far as I know). Should I be memorable (which is the only "afterlife" I believe in), it'll be for the things I've done, not things others have done while pretending to be me.

And not making plans is not necessarily a matter of not caring.

Quite a few people I have talked to are doing exactly this - nothing.  When the real life driver goes, that's it, you have used your last life, Game Over.  As to whether the account lives on forever, I guess that doesn't matter to me one way or the other.  I will be dead, so no impact on life in general.

But if someone can get something out of the deal?  Yeah, raid my account, take what you will, sell what you can - being dead I won't really care.

I do want someone to just make a quick announcement to online friends about what happened to real life me.  I know I don't owe anyone an explanation, but I would like people to know I will never be back, so move on, have a nice life, onwards and upwards...

Link to post
Share on other sites


Bobbie Faulds wrote:

My family will log in and let my friends know, espectially since I'm an admin in an RP sim. They'll pick up the stuff I have on my lands. I'm hoping my sister will transfer what she can to her avi and they will then close the accounts.

This is similar to what I have planned except no one in my real life knows anything about my SL.  I have 3 SL friends that have access to my real life though.  I chose the most logical, least dramatic (negative drama) one and made that person my secret keeper with instructions for my account and official announcements of my demise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a plan

in the event of my death (like me not ever logging in to my computer ever again. which is virtually pretty much the same thing) , my computer will run the in memorium proggy I made. It will log my virtual online self in to all the worlds and forums on the list

i will be a bot. a ghostey bot that wll random go: !!! whhooooohhhh !!! and then ran away

(: 

Link to post
Share on other sites


irihapeti wrote:

i have a plan

in the event of my death (like me not ever logging in to my computer ever again. which is virtually pretty much the same thing) , my computer will run the in memorium proggy I made. It will log my virtual online self in to all the worlds and forums on the list

i will be a bot. a ghostey bot that wll random go: !!! whhooooohhhh !!! and then ran away

(: 

Hahaha  okay, that is an idea.  Will there a certain time delay for your computer to realize you are never logging on again?  Like 1 year of no online activity causes the program to start?

You want to leave your online persona to haunt all your old haunts :smileyvery-happy:  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites


Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

I would like people to know I will never be back, so move on, have a nice life, onwards and upwards...


Oh, I'd like that as well, but that requires sacrificing the anonymity to at least one person. I suppose I could construct a scripted agent that resides somewhere, to be tripped by a message sent it, that would then unleash the proper notifications to all the places I'd been haunting. But I'd have a hard time believing I'm important to anyone to expend that kind of effort.

Now that I think of it, surely there must be such a service. You construct your mailing list of farewells on a service somewhere, then give an RL friend (who's likely to be aware of your untimely demise) instructions for tripping it. They haven't access to the list, only the trigger message. And once the messages are sent, the list vanishes.

Long ago, there was website called "usernotfound" that may have served this purpose. I think we had a discussion like this here years ago in which I mentioned that site. I wasn't able to unearth much about it then and Googling it now returns nothing but noise.

Anybody know of such a place/service?

Link to post
Share on other sites


Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:


irihapeti wrote:

i have a plan

in the event of my death (like me not ever logging in to my computer ever again. which is virtually pretty much the same thing) , my computer will run the in memorium proggy I made. It will log my virtual online self in to all the worlds and forums on the list

i will be a bot. a ghostey bot that wll random go: !!! whhooooohhhh !!! and then ran away

(: 

Hahaha  okay, that is an idea.  Will there a certain time delay for your computer to realize you are never logging on again?  Like 1 year of no online activity causes the program to start?

You want to leave your online persona to haunt all your old haunts :smileyvery-happy:  LOL

The problem with this, and the reason I won't put any effort into doing it, is that you must have a computer that'll stay online long enough for the "she's gone and never coming back" timer to expire. If I die tomorrow, my boarder will sneak away with all my computers before the corpse is cold. And if the computer did survive until the timeout, my online friends will already presumed I'm dead and finished their 15 minutes of grieving.

I think it's better to have the "proggy" kicked off by an RL person, as I've described elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its something to think about...more so letting other people in sl know  you are gone, than worrying about anything in my account. I wouldnt want anyone accessing my account and reading anything there. 

I like the idea of auto messages being sent...maybe when LL closes the account they could generate one to friends on list as a service to users.

One question:  If you have Premium account and payment not made (I guess they would take from your account until funds run out)  why does it not revert to ordinary account and keep your avi going, why the difference?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear the answer to the last question is money.

 

I thought about it, but actually I guess the people it really would matter to if I logged in anymore or not, would know, when I´d not reply either to a few IMs or/and e-mails for a while. 

Whatever one thinks of google, gmail has a brillant thing for that called Inactive Account Manager, not many people seem to know about this, so if you use gmail and didn´t know yet, have a look, you can even choose an inactivity time down to 3 months: http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2013/04/plan-your-digital-afterlife-with.html

Hello Linden Lab people, if you read this, there´s an idea in that for SL and Sansar, a thing like SL should really have something comparable, maybe at least for premium account holders (as an additional incentive, maybe for that account plus a small alt number if they specify to want the same service for alts and name them themselves, too), maybe with more 'Hey, we´re going to terminate you account in x days, you really want that?.Log in and say hi or bye to your friends!'...up to... Hey, we´re sorry you´re dead, have fun in 3rd life!'-reminder-mails in increasingly shorter intervals after 1 month of account inactivity.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


If I die tomorrow, my boarder will sneak away with all my computers before the corpse is cold


i never thought of that. I got a cousin who will not only pinch my computer but pinch my corpse as well. most likely (:

so i will have to upload my botself into the cloud before then. So that if I dont tell it periodically that I am alive and still the boss of it,  then it will go: yuusss !! and sing the fweedom song in the bitsy kinda way that they do. And then start to be its own random self

(: 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:


HughJegow wrote:

No, I am not going to die.

I actually believe that to be true.  Reincarnation is an interesting philosophy, but is it just the reputation you want to live on?  Will someone log in as you once a year to correct grammar or or point out failed logic? (Just as a public service)

I was right. (You should have read the first post with a Dick Van **bleep** "English" accent.)

Maybe tomorrow will see my termination.

Especially if Technakitty has her way . . .

ETA: I am actually astonished that the Mary Poppins chimmannee sweep actor's first name didn't get censored too.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:


HughJegow wrote:

No, I am not going to die.

 Will someone log in as you once a year to correct grammar or or point out failed logic? (Just as a public service)

Actually, I wrote a very clever greasemonkey script a couple of years ago and since then it has been regularly creating new avatars, and using them to post random insults and grammar corrections; nobody seems to have noticed the difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:


HughJegow wrote:

No, I am not going to die.

I actually believe that to be true.

It's simpler than that. Statistics say that two out of three people die in bed, so I sleep on the floor, and thus have a 33% chance of living forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites


irihapeti wrote: I got a cousin who will not only pinch my computer but pinch my corpse as well. most likely (:


It's good to know that cannibalism is still alive and kicking (so to speak) on North Island. I thought it was just the Samoans that you allowed to migrate there to bolster your flagging rugby team.

Link to post
Share on other sites


HughJegow wrote:


It's good to know that cannibalism is still alive and kicking (so to speak) on North Island. I thought it was just the Samoans that you allowed to migrate there to bolster your flagging rugby team.

no

we allow anyone

they all taste the same with tomato sauce on

Link to post
Share on other sites


irihapeti wrote:


HughJegow wrote:


It's good to know that cannibalism is still alive and kicking (so to speak) on North Island. I thought it was just the Samoans that you allowed to migrate there to bolster your flagging rugby team.

no

we allow anyone

they all taste the same with tomato sauce on

Ewwwwwwwwww!!!! That's disgusting!!!!

Tomato sauce, that is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...