Voice troubles persisting, would really like a Fix please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ever since Windows updated to Windows 10 I have had a ridiculous problem with voice. My voice was distorted and sounded like a low demonic voice, which annoyed me, and users around me. Now the suggestion made by a user here was that SecondLife had a bitrate compatibility issue with windows if the Microphone is set to Channel 2 48000 HZ which is the default for most users.

The fix was to change it to bitrate Channel 2 44100 HZ and problem solved. This didn't do anything but grey voice out. Now I tried several clean re-installs, turning off and turning back on voice and nothing. My pc then notified me days later of an update for my sound drivers. So I accepted and downloaded them. I logged back onto Secondlife and nothing worked, not changing bitrates, not restarting my pc, nothing. My viewer was Firestorm latest release 4-7-3-47323. My computer Specs are   

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150810-2333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite S55-B
BIOS: 2.00
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12210MB RAM
Page File: 4369MB used, 9696MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: The file xspltspk.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--

Here's my sounddrivers if that helps.

Description: Microphone (Conexant SmartAudio HD)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Driver Name: CHDRT64.sys
Driver Version: 8.65.0036.0000 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Date and Size: 3/24/2014 15:28:56, 1455808 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

The system upgraded to Windows 10. I see other users using 10 without problems. 

I have had problems like this with voice in the past when it randomly started working again, right now I do not have any patience to deal with this. 

I'm extremely displeased that I cannot access the same features offered to all users of SL that have an equal right to use. I would really appreciate a fix if someone has one to offer.

----

Edit: I understand that I come off as un-warrantingly irritated. But a majority of whom I communicate with on Secondlife use voice. I'd say 95% of my friends do. To not be able to hear them at all is extremely frustrating. I also have to speak up on voice to get their attention, if I just IM them i'll be ignored unless I actually say something to them.

But now I cannot hear anyone. I have sat down, filed out this to Jira and everything. I don't know if this is Vivox's problem or Linden Labs but I really just want help. That's all I'm asking for .... :<

Have you tried it on the latest build from LL? That's where I would start. At least that way you will get a sense for whether the issue is windows or viewer related depending on the outcome. I assume also that you have tried Skype or some other tool on windows 10 to make sure headset is generally working.

YOU stated that you had this problem before and that it "Randomly" started to work again which in all honesty is a HEAVY indication the issue is on YOUR END, thus the reply I gave you initially. Maybe you had a different pc but same headset? Is that headset usb ? Does it use it's own drivers? Do you use a mic only and hear people via your speakers and is that mic usb and with it's own drivers ? This stll the same pc with which you had the issue with before? There are tons of questions but frankly that still falls a bit on USER end especially since YOU (user) updated to win10 which I will say to you from personal experience that's been a mixed bag for me. 

Start by running a google search of the basic symptoms, I am also a windows 10 adopter as I said and with google's help I found a few post about my own issue with win 10 and apps. I had similar issues where my sound would fully stop if I was using anything but the default speakers on my laptop. So I thought HEY maybe just maybe it's my end. Oddly enough windows 10 was randomly causing issues with my headset's drivers so on my end I fixed it by just un-istalling the particular drivers for my headset and letting it windows use the default for my system, this problem  affected SL as well but hey I fixed and did not go the extreme of threats to stop using an app? Come on! It is not LL's responsibility to cater to every single set up or create a particular build for 5903902733 possible pc configurations. Users have a certain amount of responsibility when it comes to their own hardware. 

Curiosity got the best of me and I looked at your previous topic and it seems that then too you had a notion to blame the viewer in that case it was a 3rd party viewer. So I will beckon to ask again, are you using a USB headset/mic? Honestly though you cannot always blame software even if you think you tried all you can with the software, our hardware or equipment/accessories can be just as much at fault.

One last thing, you are better off providing a DX DIAG not your order form details.....here let me help you...

Run Dx Diag Windows 10

When I meant I had this problem before,  it wasn't in reference to the voice morphing into distortion on its own. It was voice suddenly not deciding to work randomly for days at a time before.

Now I did not say anywhere that this was a problem SL is causing, because if it was, several others would have my same exact issue and I haven't come across anyone that has. It is obviously something on my end that doesn't agree with the viewer but IF I KNEW how to fix it, I wouldn't be here asking for help. Yes I was initially irritated as any regular person can be, especially when they are not tech savy. I'm not making an excuse for how I came off, it was crappy. But all I want is help, please.

When those problems happened I had a different PC AND headset. The computer I have now is a Toshiba Satellite.  I did was you said and i'll update my computer information and paste if here for you. 

------------------

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150810-2333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite S55-B
BIOS: 2.00
Processor: Intel® Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12210MB RAM
Page File: 4369MB used, 9696MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: The file xspltspk.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--

I'll copy down the sound driver devices if that helps. 

Description: Microphone (Conexant SmartAudio HD)
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Driver Name: CHDRT64.sys
Driver Version: 8.65.0036.0000 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Date and Size: 3/24/2014 15:28:56, 1455808 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x1
Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

--

The headset I have is Sennheiser game ones.  http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-game-one   . The Mic plugin port is a regular headset plugin, not a usb at all. I have to use an audio/mic splitter cable to use this headset. I had windows 8 automatically installed on the pc when it was bought and this problem did not persist on Windows 8 at all.

MY last topic was also in 2012 alittle over  3 YEARS AGO. Could you please cut me some slack, I get it I get frustrated with technology at times when I cannot seem to understand my problem. I'm sorry that I don't have too much patience with application issues when I have other priorities in my life to deal with. So how about I apologize for being impulsive, brash, and rude, and you can cut some slack please????

off the top of my head we have a common issue...conexant, however I had no issue with SL voice as more a total audio issue with win10 and that onboard audio. I'm gonna refer you to a starting point which solved the issue for me but again my issue was the driver for my headset would often conflict with the conexant driver even though at first glance I thought I removed it but windows update kept doing it's thing....read here a bit and when I'm not at work I'll see what else I can do. 

starting point

however you would not go to the lenovo site you'd look at toshibas site...let me see... 

toshiba s55b support and drivers

also try using the built in mic on the laptop and seeing if voice works both ways (unplug the headset before launching sl) also did you set your viewer to use the line in headset? or it is  trying to use the built in mic?

voice set up

Basically my viewer doesn't even detect a headset it just detects the conexant built in mic on my computer. My computer doesn't even register a headet either, it is labled as conexant as well with my headset plugged in

that's pretty much what i'm stuck with even with the headset plugged in. I have tried accessing the input and output devices in voice setup but unfortunately the viewer doesn't esound.pngven access my microphones. It just tells me to please wait while it tries to connect to my microphones. I tried the most recent SL viewer and Firestorm with my built in microphone and my headset mic. Both voice boxes are greyed out I am unable to use them.

You have tracked the problem to a Win10 driver issue. The computer was likely upgraded to Win10. So, driver problems are common. You can Google about how to get Win10 drivers for your computer brand and model. There should be good information on the net now.

You probably know to be VERY careful where you get your drivers. It is best if you can get them from the computer manufacturer. If your computer is old enough they manufacturer is not providing Win10 drivers, go with Win8 or if you have to Win7 drivers. Besure you get 64-bit drivers.

In the START Search type in Device Manager and look at the drivers installed. If any drivers are missing or incomplete or having problems it will tell you. If one shows as missing, right-click on it and select properties. Then select DETAILS. In that dialog select Hardware ID's. You'll see a long number something like: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_198B&SUBSYS_104381F2&REV_1003

Search using that ID in Google Bing or Yahoo. You can right-click to copy/paste. This is going to take you to a number of sites that will try to install adware or worse along with the driver. Look for the manufacturer's site. With any luck a link in the search results will take you to the right page. They will have instructions for how to install the driver.

=================

DXDIAG doesn't give us all the information we need to troubleshoot SL Viewer problems. Use the viewer's HELP-ABOUT... to get the informaton we need. In this case are are past needing that. :)

There is a wealth of known issues with conexant onboard audio and win 10, especially when doing a upgrade from 8.x to 10, as much as a total removal of the default drivers can help in most cases it seems to still be hit or miss and not all mfgs have updated drivers it seems. All the links I gave him were just for starting point and I did actually link the user to his/her laptop driver/support page. 

in most cases it is very very simple to solve and already mentioned several times on these forums.

Go to "Manage Audio Devices" -> Recording tab
Right click your Microphone -> Properties -> Advanced tab
Under Default format, change it to 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD quality).
For people this fixed the problem for, their Mic was previously set to use 48000 Hz.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same issue, I can use Teamspeak, Skype and even record videos just fine, but on Firestorm my mic sounds like a distorted monster and people think I'm using a voice changer. I've changed my mic settings and did the hz change to the CD option too. Nothing helps. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought that whole "change it to 16bit 41000 khz" was going to fix it, BUT IT DIDN'T!

turns out on my dell inspiron 11 (with conexant and windows 10 btw), I went to select the 41000 and it wasn't an option. The only ones I had were 44000 and up.

I hope someone finds a fix to this. So far I don't have voice on my macbook pro, my dell inspiron, and my hp pavilion. All laptops with great sound and built in mics that work in everything else - but SL :(

• 3 weeks later...

I also having issues wit win 10 and mic working in SL, any viewer on my desktop. I can reinstall device drivers and all is well, then after using any viewer for SL the mic stops working. In my mic properties in the level tab, where it was good before it becomes a circle with a line through it, if I click it that goes away and all seems well, then I shut down that tab and my mic no longer works. I have uses countless tutorials on internet, all state this is a common issue with win 10. Perhaps the OP like me is frustraited they can not use voice in SL and are looking for a friendly help.

SO my issue is in fact all is well untill i engage a SL viewer, which leads me to believe it is actually the voice application that these viewers use, poor communication with the audio card and a general.. its not our problem attitudes.

Ive given up in fact in using voice in sl on my desktop, which is a shame because its where I spend most of my time online.

• 3 months later...

OMG !! i thought i was the only one with this issue . HEY THERE ALL YOU OTHERS WITH A DEMONIC VOICE ..waves ..OMG if u guys find a fix for this issue please please please send it me too .!!  its so frustrating and nothing works to fix it so far . Ive had people helping etc or should i say try to help . I've even tried every 3rd party viewer on clean installs ..and nada ..... i guess its ok if u want a demonic male voice for a halloween party. I've even been accused in sl of hitting the voice morph button .LOL they got told hey if it puts my voice back sure i'll touch it . I have never ofc used a voice changer via the pc or the in game one 's on the viewers . Sombody out there who is crazy smart will possibly work this out  and fix it . 

Like i said before if you find somthing that does sort it let me know  x cheers 

If you suddenly sound like a man (and you aren't), or your friend suddenly sounds like a demon (and isn't), or you are hearing other forms of distorted voice, try this:

1. Right click the Speakers icon on your system tray and select Recording Devices.
  2. Right click the Microphone and select Properties.
  3. Switch to the Advanced tab.
  4. Under Default Format drop down menu, select: 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD quality).
  5. Untick “Enable Audio Enhancements”
  6. Press OK and OK.
  7. Relog if needed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.