Sign in to follow this  
Christin73

Taken the fun out of RP

It seems to me that there are people and RP groups that take it way to seriously. For instance, I have worked lot of verious urban RPs from PD to medic and firefighter and have noticed the leaders of those tend to live it 24/7 in role. Some see it as a power trip for their rl day jobs. Training for those rp jobs as well as on the rp job demands can be rediculous for something that is in a virtual world. For instance, one sim I looked into required 20 to 440 hours a week in rp time. Thats basicly equivalant to a rl ft or pt job. Paperwork is another one of my RP complaints. Alot of rp groups require virtual paper wrk esentualy takeing the fun out of it and defeats the purpous of rp. I understand paperwork in some jobs are required in rl. However, this is not rl, it's virtual. End of complaint.

Keep looking until you find one you like. Part of it is some don't draw the line between OOC and IC and are basically playing a pixel version of themselves rather than RPing a character. There are plenty of RP sims in SL, just keep looking. You should be having fun, not feel like you're going to work.

Having done the First Responder gig in Real Life, I have zero desire to clutter up my Second Life with the minutiae, time commitment and stress that goes with it. I feel your pain :-)

It's supposed to be a diversion, not a vocation :-)

I'll play the contrarian here. 

For every sim that has dedicated individuals putting in dozens of hours of rp time weekly there are at least 5 rp sims that are little more than decent builds with no organization and activity that is more cliquish/clubby than rp'ing what the original intent of the sim was. 

If I have a complaint about the paperwork it is that too many people rubberstamp applications and seem to put them out there only as some sort of mechanic that adds legitimacy to their venture. "Oh, you breathe? You're in!"

RP in SL still, to me at least, offers the great flexibility at any level of commitent. You can put in 1 hour or 20 hours a week and still have a worthwhile experience. 

I don't disagree with OP but felt that people who are looking into it should know that the norm is wide-ranging and even minor commitments to rp'ing are encouraged and welcome on most sims.

I've experienced the same and it's why I don't bother with role playing on serious sims or with 'serious' people. Usually those leads to sex makin git even more distasteful. In fact I will go even further to say SL has become the premiere sexual desires mmo. I've met people who have IC relationships and OOC so they want a partner and are too stupid and unattractive to get one in real life...they doll up their toon and fetch one in SL...

As far as realism to th erp thats bull...I used to play swrp...which is a bunch of crock. There is about as much 'realism' there as there is in smurf village. I was on one sim where you had to eat or your vatar would faint after a while. That was kind of neat but then thats where the fun ended. Some people were rude...they took things too far such as getting involved in peoples personal lives if they would let them converging that with the RP. I think the 24/7 rpers are physically  or mentally disabled not so desirable looking government mney collecting jackasses....with no life and want to torment others with their so called rp...

Why bother? Just find a game you enjoy and play it. Unless you like playing with perverted pedohpiles....