Any skilled MUDBOX/MAYA users in here? Question.

Dictatorshop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I use Maya and Mudbox (no not interested in Blender).  I have been trying for ages to figure out if there is some trick for handling multiple texture faces on a single object so that I can paint it in Mudbox and manage to get it into SL with the textures in the right place.  Anybody doing this?

I have figured out how to move the different textures into different UV spaces so that they are side by side rather than on top of each other.  However, when exporting them and trying to get them into SL the textures are not mapped right anymore.  Short of moving all the uv spaces back to the default spot (on top of each other again) I cant seem to get it to work.  

I was thinking that perhaps there could be a Maya script that could do this for me, pull all the textures back to the default UV space before exporting them.  My biggest problem here is I am not sure if I am explaining the issue well enough to get help.  Anybody understand what I am talking about and or know a fix?  Is there some trick for using mudbox this way?

Don't know if this will help, but it's possibly relevant that SL will import only one UV map, even when the Collada contains multiple UV maps. I'm not sure how it selects, but in the experiments I have done it has always been the last one in the file. If your rearrangement of the UV spaces involves multiple maps that get exported into the Collada, that could be the problem. In that case, you need to eliminate all but the map you did the painting with. (Don't ask me how, I only use Blender where you can tell it which map to export).

Why do you need non-overlapping UVs for different materials? Is that a limitation imposed by Mudbox? If so, that's a pity because it limits the pixel density of the texture on each face.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.