The new SL marketing focus???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Lindens are redirecting their marketing focus: see

http://www.ispionage.com/research/default.aspx?q=secondlife.com&refid=3f2b044b

Note in particular the keywords they are using to advertise with.  You may also want to check out the search terms and see what turns up.  Should raise your eyebrows.

and an excerpt from the tao of Linden: 

Work Together.

We are engaged in a wildly ambitious and complex endeavor. We need to take on risk and accept the occasional failure. But we dream, stumble and win only together. This requires a level of creative collaboration you won't find in many companies. You must not only respect but actively seek out differing views, and then find closure after dissent to move forward together. When you look back, do so to find ways to improve rather than to blame.

Walk in our Residents' shoes.

We are blessed by some of the most informed, passionate, committed customers imaginable. They are our reason for being, they are our world, and we call them Residents. They are an insuperable source of advantage and an awesome responsibility. In every choice you make, consider how your choice will impact their experience.

The Tao Of Linden

(Note that this post will be deleted... keep an eye on it and see if the Lindens are practicing their Tao)

What am I supposed to be raising an eyebrow at? I suppose you are referring to the fact that some keywords are referring to 'kids' right?

Well, I guess LL can legitimately advertise to kids if you assume that 16 and 17 year olds are kids and if you assume that it's legitimate to advertise to 13 to 15 year olds on the basis of them being able to use SL if affiliated to a hosting institution. So not a big deal there as they aren't exactly lying.

What is interesting there is that LL are also obviously using a ton of other keywords and phrases, but that link is showing that amongst the most popular searched for phrases on Google are ones that related to kids. It's not so much that LL are directly targetting kids, its just that they are one of many things they are using in their keywords. So that implies that virtual worlds for kids is a a potentially huge target market and one that there is some sense in going after. (I suppose it could also mean something more sinister too, but the LL also can't really be held responsible for how some sinister people might use Google!)

As for the Tao - sounds good to me. We could probably all benefit from following it's ethos too!

• 1 month later...

What is the point you're trying to make (if you are trying to make one at all)?

That LL is changing their marketing mix? Where have you been in the last 18 month? You don't need to analyze keywords for that - just look at the new viewer, the tighter integration with FB and twitter. And the Tao - what about that?

Again: What is your point if there is any?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.