Stuck on Initializing VFS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have two different computers this is happening to. When Second Life is loading the process gets stuck on the Initializing VFS step. This has been going on since 10pm SLT. One computer freezes there one crashes. The one that crashes tries to send an error report but says it can't connect to the server. I have internet, I can connect to this page. Is there a server down in California or something?

• Like 1

Having the same issue myself.  Was able to get on earlier but I was having modem issues, and once that was fixed with the cable company, I couldn't get on SL.

If i delete everything in the AppData folder, I can get on, but only in Basic which is frustrating as I cant even get to my inventory.  When I try to restart in Advanced, I crash before I can even start up (during VFS).

I've reinstalled, restarted, etc etc... this is annoying as hell. 

I Have the Same Problem Its Not When You Open Second Life And Try to Login No Its Come When You Try To Just Open The Viewer eve If It Fire Storm Or Phoenix and the best way to fix this problem is this Im Using windows 7 So I Go To C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm (this Option for Firestorm Viewer)
And delete The Folder And For Phoenix well be like that (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Phoenix) And For Viewer2 Well Be Like This (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife) remember this option for windows 7  and one more thing if there is chat logs you want keep them before you delete Go To (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Firestorm\(your Avi Name Will Be here) ) And then Take The chat Logs you Want It And Then Delet All The folders and for Viewer 2 (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\(your Avi Name Will Be here) ) I hope That Helping Much

I have discovered that when I use a wireless headset, like the Logitech G930 (USB), that not only does VFS initialization freeze for Second Life, but several other applications of mine also freeze during initialization.  The workaround I found for all of these is when the application initialization freezes, open Windows Explorer and click on any folder and the initialization unfreezes and continues onward.

A second workaround is to not have the headset plugged into a USB port, but of course that is useless in SL.  I have discovered that SL and all my other applications start up just fine when my headset is not plugged into a USB port.

A third workaround is to use a headset that uses the audio card in and out jacks, but this most likely will be a wired, not wireless, headset, so not a great solution when desiring a wireless headset.

(It is uncertain of course, but the USB-based headset must also use VFS or in some other way interfaces with VFS, and for whatever reason interferes with other application using VFS.  Clicking on any Windows Explorer folder causes Windows Explorer to interface with the VFS in such a way that it "renews" VFS interfaces such that applications stop hanging. I sent a comment about this to Logitech, but no response yet.)

• Like 1

Thank's for showing me this . Now I know this is a on going problem. I to was using wireless,

based headset when it happend to me, I'm a newbie and have read nearly everything when  vfs

freezes up and then crashes. I've desided to uninstall this program and praying when I reinstall

it solves my problem. It's been going on two week's since I've been able to do any work.  

I promise to never try the headset again, it's not worth it 

Edited by nylah5
left sentence out.

This is another of those DEAD threads come back to life...

The headset issue shows the value of old threads. There is cause to keep them. But, IMO it is better to start a new thread than comment in a dead one.

The freeze at VFS has generally been resolved. With Firestorm there is an additional fix to the viewer to resolve 2017 VFS issues for those running HD Graphics 4000. I am unsure if that fix is in the 5.0.7 version.

One can add -noprob to the command line of the icon launching the viewer as a possible work around.

SO... those that have this stall at VFS problem need to include the viewer's HELP->ABOUT... information. That information tells us where the problem likely is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.