Places to sail / rez boats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This time i'm looking for locations where one can sail and rez a boat.   Sailing is great fun, either alone or with a partner / friends.   But where does one go to do it?

I did find a place the other day, and happily puttered around for a bit.   However, as soon as i tried to head out to sea i was met by an invisible barrier.  :smileysad:   I assume this was the edge of the sim?

I would love to have your recommendations, accompanied by the relevant SLURL.  :smileyhappy:

Thank you!

Go to Starboards Yacht Club, Hollywood sim, and pick up a free Om's box of rez zones. It's outdated, but has enough active zones to keep you busy while you learn. The Blake Sea is huge and connects the United Sailing Sims in the east and the Nautilus sims in the west. Plenty of Yacht clubs and marinas..things to do.  Hours, days, weeks of sailing .. it's all yours to explore. Look at your World Map, find Nautilus continent and explore the whole area. And contact me inworld and I will give you a bundle of LM's. 

Marianne McCann wrote:

You can rez near the New Port Yacht Club in Bay City! Head north out of the club and then west past the channel out into open water.

Thanks, Marianne.  Now if only i can work out which is North and which is West.  I never was any good at that sort of thing.  :smileywink:

Cate Foulsbane wrote:

Go to Starboards Yacht Club, Hollywood sim, and pick up a free Om's box of rez zones. It's outdated, but has enough active zones to keep you busy while you learn. The Blake Sea is huge and connects the United Sailing Sims in the east and the Nautilus sims in the west. Plenty of Yacht clubs and marinas..things to do.  Hours, days, weeks of sailing .. it's all yours to explore. Look at your World Map, find Nautilus continent and explore the whole area. And contact me inworld and I will give you a bundle of LM's. 

Oh, i will do!  Thanks so much, Cate.  This is great.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow :smileytongue: What a great question!

There are so many places to sail, and so many great yacht clubs and sailing groups in SL.

My strong suggestion is to join the Second Life Sailing Association inworld, and to come visit SLSailing.net. There are hundreds of people who will give you maps, share many free boats, resources, and tools, and invite you to some pretty fantastic racing or cruising events!

Last I looked there were roughly 2,000 active sailors in SL from pretty much all corners of the RL world (except maybe Antarctica, they have ice boats there :-)  ).

I have a question not directly related to where to sail, but more how to sail at this point.

I have a lot of boats, including this beautiful Velociter mega-yacht, jetskis, personal hovercrafts, and another yacht that's like the SW-320 or something, all of which were pretty sweet a yer and a half ago. But I wonder does anyone know of changes to the physics in SL that could be causing boats from say '08-'09 to not rez properly or more to the point, to capsize...immediately upon being rezzed? I mean they either turn upside down or either the front or the back will be underwater and will stay that way.

Also, they only go in circles and then go under, as if they are in a whirlpool. It is mucho...embarrassingo!

I know I can probably just chase down the manufacturers and ply them with questions but since this is a thread on boating I took a chance that maybe someone recalls having this problem or is familiar with it?

Daisy Picnic wrote:

Hi kascha,

this should not be happenning. I happily sail boats a few years old, I suspect you have an AO or someting attached that is disrupting the phsics of the boat, if this happens when you sit on the boat.

Hehe - I feel so silly now. I could have sworn I turned off my AO all those times trying to figure out what was wrong. This time, after your post, I tried again and was able to run all of my boats, including my jetski and hovercraft, with no issues. Well, except for attempting to rez the different parts of my Velociter in the wrong order and then running the rebuild script, which had boat parts all over the channel flopping around ad nauseum, with me still attached to one of them. Gotta work on that! :womantongue:

As an added bonus, my script reducing efforts as a result of conversations on another thread here have resulted in me being able to cross sim bondaries on the water with little or no trouble. As in no boating off to Limbo anymore. Not even at close to full speed on my jetski.

Thanks for letting me know what the problem wasn't so I could better investigate what it was :womanwink:

to Kasha and Daisey:

I agree AO can be an issue, but on most current sailing boats it's something else. AO will just affect the 'sit and sailing poses' on a boat.

If you think there are major physics engine issues with a sailboat,

and you can't get a good answer from the boat builder,

I'd suggest:

Owen Oyen, Elisha Paklena, or Bato Brendel. They are all great people, and they've worked very hard to make sure sailboats survived sequential SL physics engine upgrades. :-) If they cannot help, I'd suggest contacting Andrew Linden. I've found him extremely wise and helpful over the past few years when grid problems impacted sailing.

Having said that, I think nearly all sailboats in SL now work rather well; in fact, most of the friendly arguments these days are about 'perceptual accuracy of the emulation...'

The discussions are not about boats that fail to work.

At the same time, I agree with you that sailboat physics are super-important in SL; thats why I'm here too! :-)

I'd suggest an easy wayy to stay on top of it is to join a discussion group like SLSailing.net so you can talk with the sailboat developers. :-)

XXX

• 2 weeks later...

places to sail

Would be Antiquity. It's a bit challenging and it's classic boats only (18th century etc). If you have one (sail or steam) you can rez anyplace. If you dont have a boat, the top selling boat on the marketplace is an 18th centure sailboat, and lots of others to choose from.Local yacht club and a combat group.

Some freebie clothing etc at this location too

http://world.secondlife.com/place/08781739-86eb-5b42-1eef-b8a02ae13cd7

Here I go again. I don't mean to sound like a shill. I really don't! 

But there is a place in my picks where you can use a sailboat rezzer. As for rezzing your own boat, if you give some advance warning - a few days or so, a week even better - I can turn rez on for you. I turned it off because people were rezzing huge buildings there, and things like that, and that spoiled it for others. How long does one need to rez a boat by the way? Long enough just to rez it, or for the duration of sailing?

There aren't any ban lines for a while. I can't say there are none ever. I'm not sure how far one can go.

Other than this I would second the vote for Blake Sea or actually, primarily for that. That's what it's made for. There are also yacht clubs and such in world, and you can also buy a wearable boat in some shops.

• 1 year later...

This thread is a few months old now, but actually no-one has so far mentioned an ideal source of information on places to sail:

I'm not in-world right now so I can't give more precise guidance;  but...  

* search for Tradewinds Yacht Club

* near the landing point you will find a small cabin with many items inside for sale

* on the floor near the corner which was nearest to where you landed, you will find several free items, including two sets of landmarks / maps and other information giving a whole range of launching and sailing locations.  One is called Om's list (this is an old original list of many launch points, some of which may not exist any more);  the other is a more elaborate set of maps and notecards containing locations.  This is much more current and seems likely to be updated in the future too

* there are also a number of free boats available in this cabin - wonderful people are prepared to let us get started by trying out the results of their work

There's also a good article on the Wiki at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sailing_in_Second_Life and some items in the Destinations guide at http://secondlife.com/destinations/sailing

Have fun!

• 3 years later...

Hello all. First of all sorry for my bad english. Iam looking for some place to FREE rez my boat (a bit huge one - 28m 380 prim (Li) yacht from BBX) and drive it, moor, walk around, get back, drive and at the end i "take" it back to my inv. If I can left the boat there FOR FREE, its will be great, but it is not necessarry.. I just want to FREE rez and drive, with luck also temporary moor and walk around. Of course nice land/city/theme around is very welcome. Just drive on free ocean is not much important option :) Is there some place like this? I spend much time looking by myself, but have no luck. Some nice marinas are there, but only for pay and moor system, not for free rez and drive... :( When I furtunatelly done rez and start drive, it kick me in minute or two. Please help me find some nice place. Thanks much.

PS: I know this is an really old theme, but I hope when I add new reply, its "jump" front/top.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.