Will this laptop be able to run SL on Ultra Graphics,without crashing/other issues?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.I am about to buy a gaming laptop for SL,and I am not pretty sure so I need some help and opinions,of course :) I know that desktops are more recommended,but I don't have enough space for one...so yeah :P The laptop I want to buy is Asus ROG GL552JX-DM188D,with i7-4720HQ 1TB+128GB 8GB GTX950M 4GB FullHD.Here's the page for more details:https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/GL552JX/

I need it to run smooth,with shadows & all that Ultra stuff with no problems,so I can happily create clothes & walk around without crashing :) Waiting for your recommendations (if you know any other better laptop around the value of this one,I am willing to see it).Have a nice day! :)

P.S:I would also like to get into SL Photography :D

Only one way to know for sure ;)

But really, it depends a lot on where in SL you want to go. I'm on ultra on a relatively humble MacBook Pro right now with no serious problems at all. But that's in my own sim where I've been very concious about keeping lag down. I know sims so loaded with textures they can bring even the strongest stationary computer to its knees.

I have a ROG 8 GB which is pretty much exactly 2 years now I think, it has the GTX 765 M, and runs pretty smoothly on ultra, lag happens in very crowded places. The laptop is awesome generally, I´m glad I took that one back then, the cooling is really good and it´s silent for a gaming laptop. I´m a bit glad I have an earlier model though, since they changed the backlit keyboard from then white to now red, so I hope to bridge another year with it and they´ll go back to white maybe the following year ;)  

I don´t think you should have trouble with it, (the general unpredictability with sl and computers aside) but it´s noteworthy that the 2nd number indicates how good the graphics card is, e.g. here: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-950M-vs-GeForce-GTX-860M you can see that the older 860 gets higher benchmarks than the newer 950, so if the pricejump is not too high, you might be better off with a 960, or maybe even can get a good deal for one with a 860, if the rest of the specs is ok.

edit: I just noticed the one you´re considering doesn´t have the cooling like mine has (2 big rear fans) but the fan on the side, and it´s not so big too, so not sure on the cooling and noise then...I saw that model life in a shop recently actually, maybe the 2 rear fans versions start with the X60 M graphics cards only. It should be a pretty decent laptop still, but no guarantees you won´t need to plug it into a cooler when using it for SL and keep it away from your lap ;)

ChloeVida wrote:

I want to hit the Ultra graphics for some great product pictures
:)

if you think you can make great pictures on ultra only .... dream on, that's not worth the expense.

You can make perfect pictures on med and high too.

Next to that your machine is only half of the experience. The best machine will perform bad when you'r connection sucks.

Be sure both are always on top of their level. If one is less, it will be disapointing.

There are enough examples on the forum by people who bought a high end machine but got less results than on their old xp and mid range graphics.

Biggest issues with laptops on ultra settings is heat. Things really get cooking so you really have to ensure the vents stay clean

Lag? don't matter much really. So places you'll be smoking on ultra settings, others, at a crawl. I do alot of wedding photography/video, and my desktop in a Intel i7, 16g RM and a Nvidia GTX970 4gig card. "usualy' at ultra on a wedding 12-16fps, some higher, sometimes down in the single digits. Faster than my laptop I used to use for sure, but also runs vastly cooler

For pictures specifically, from the technical and not the photography skill side, it should be enough if you can turn on shadows and still take pictures without crashing, I know people who can´t run their laptops on ultra to really move, but can do so for taking pictures. The more powerful the computer though, the easier it will be to get good pictures from far away, if your pc can´t handle high draw distance, you´ll not get happy then with pics from zoomed out, like a whole sim, depends on what kind of pics you want to take. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.