Mouse Wheel Unresponsive On My Mac

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

For over a year now, my mouse wheel has been unresponsive on both the official Linden Lab Second Life viewer and the Firestorm viewer. I'm a content creator, and a responsive mouse wheel is essential for creating content. That's why I have been using Singularity ever since that bug showed up.

The problem is demonstrated in this video:

The bug can be reproduced on my 2010 MacBook Pro and my 2013 iMac, both running OS X Mavericks, using 5 different mice, including types that have been manufactured by Apple, Microsoft, Logitec and Hama.

My question is not how to solve this. I've posted a JIRA for that, https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-9923 .

I've just been wondering, assuming that many content creators use a Mac, why this hasn't been reported by legions of Mac users before. To me, this bug appeared overnight, from switching from one viewer to the updated version, and it's always been a big nuisance. I've been having to use Singularity ever since, even though it lacks a lot of convenient building tools.

My question is, is there anyone else out there who suffers from this bug? And which system/mouse do they use?

Cheers,

Arduenn

I can't speak for why more Mac users haven't been clamoring for a resolution to this issue, but I'll tell you why I didn't pursue a permanent solution.

When the problem first appeared, it was rather quickly attributed to Cocoa and was only troublesome to us macophiles.   As such, it was expected behavior when the JIRA was put on the back burner and ignored.  As we're constantly reminded, the prevailing attitude is always - "Macs are not intended for gaming".

So in answer to your question, I never bothered complaining because I knew my protests would fall on deaf ears.  As usual, mac users needed to find a workaround so they could function in SL.    I switched to Singularity, and forgot about the problem. :)

(Edit for clarity.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.