How do I fix a disk usage of 100% in Win 8.1 on all new viewers?

Eleanor Ocheis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hmmm. You start off with "Disk Usage is constantly at 100%" and finish up with "not understanding what's causing the sharp increase in 'system' and 'Windows Audio' usage".

If your disk usage is 100%, i.e. your hard disk drive is full, then your viewer won't work because it needs disk space to write cached files. You can see how much space you have on a disk from File Explorer, right click on on the drive and select properties. How much disk space does it say is free?

4 answers to this question

Hmmm. You start off with "Disk Usage is constantly at 100%" and finish up with "not understanding what's causing the sharp increase in 'system' and 'Windows Audio' usage".

If your disk usage is 100%, i.e. your hard disk drive is full, then your viewer won't work because it needs disk space to write cached files. You can see how much space you have on a disk from File Explorer, right click on on the drive and select properties. How much disk space does it say is free?

Hi Eleanor,

Read this...

http://www.quora.com/What-does-100-disk-usage-mean-in-task-manager

I'm not Windows savvy, but if the viewer were hogging the disk, I imagine task manager would show that. If there is some way to show all disk usage, even that done by normally invisible system tasks, that might help.

Good luck!

• Like 1

This is a known Windows bug. Microsoft has a patch for it.

If you close SL and still see the 100% use, it is the bug. If closing the viewer stops the 100% use, it is something else, probably disk thrashing from too little memory. You can use System Explorer (free 3rd party program) to see what is using the disk drive. If it is the MS bug, you'll see a MS program hogging the disk. I forget which one.

Try typing Windows Update in START and force an update. You may need to repeat this several times to get all the updates. DO NOT attempt an update to Win 10 until you have this fixed.

If after all the updates are installed and the computer restarted, Google: Win 8.1 100% disk use fix. There will be step-by-step solutions.

A couple of clients saw this problem resolve over a couple of days as their computers automatically updated. But, it is a pain using the computer while you wait.

If nothing works, an update to 10 MIGHT fix it...

By leaving the computer on over night, you have most of the indexing that Windows does completed while you are not using the computer. If the computer is ONLY on when you are using it, it does the indexing in background while you use it.

• Like 1

Webroot... :matte-motes-mad:

Are you totally sure that you whitelisted the viewers cache folder in Webroot?

Webroot is causing no end of problems at the moment with SL viewers, unless you whitelist the viewer cache folder.

It will cause high disk usage, poor viewer FPS, high ping sim & stupidly slow loading of any uncached textures. There has been a constant stream of Webroot victims coming into Firestorm support the last few days.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.