Back after years of hiatus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I'm back after a loooong time of 'quitting' SL and have quite a few questions lol Hopefully you guys can help me out again :)

I'm kind of wanting to do a re-do of my entire inventory as I'm sure much of SL has changed since I joined in 2009; should I do this with my outfits and such? I heard that things with prims may be obsolete now, so should I just get updated versions of things that I have?

The huds that I currently have are probably ancient, are there any good and easy to use ones out there that I should buy or check out? I have a lot of anims for walks and dances

Any other useful info that I should know now that I'm kind of a newb again? lol

I appreciate any and all help offered, thanks

I'm also noticed that my avatar looks way better when in shape editing mode than when I am out of it and walking around; which way do others see my avatar?

What are your best tips for keeping my avatar fairly low lag? I'm unfamiliar with how hairstyles and such work now that prim counts are basically not counted anymore?

hit the marketplace and buy for $0 as many demos of clothes and stuff that you can get thru in a reasonable time. Try them on and see what is

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/

+

by HUD then not sure what you have exactly. If just AO then the one you got will still work ok

if you had HUDs for other things then is a whole lot of features now built in to the SL official viewer which can replace a lot of the old HUDs

also the Firestorm viewer has heaps more other features that the official viewer dont have

Don't believe the Chicken Little's crying that SL is closing. As long as it's a vialbe economic entity, it's not going anywhere. The second platform LL is developing will be totally different from SL. It's not even in beta yet so ignore the nay-sayers. 

You'll want to replace some of  clothing with mesh clothing. It fits and looks better but take your time and look around. Not sure of your style but Lapointe and Bastchild is probably a good place to start.

You're going to have to learn a whole new set of terms dealing with mesh but take your time to learn it and how to deal with your default body and clothing before you even thing about venturing into the more complicated world of mesh add on avis.

For some free stuff, hit The Free Dove for some basics.

Welcome Back

wow, i am going to be so lost lol I didn't know there was such a thing as mesh bodies x_X im just using the default body with the shape i developed myself years ago. where would be a good place to learn about mesh stuff? I don't plan on getting a mesh body, but mesh items and stuff would be better than prims

Enough already with the SLV2 talk...it's a totally different platform It's like comparing WoW with Half Life. 2 different programs and platforms. One has zero to do with the other other than that both are being supported by Linden Labs. It's Sansara, not SLV2 btw. And it's not even in beta yet...At least 2 years, if not more, before it's ready to even thing about opening it to the public.

Now back to the OP. Get your feet on the ground with the current clothing that you wear with your default body and worry about the rest of it later.

Don't worry about scare stories about SL closing down.  There have always been scare stories like that but there's no evidence it's any more likely to happen in, say, 2018, than it was in 2008.

It's true Linden Lab has announced they're starting work on a new virtual world with a working title of Project Sansar, and they are also one of several investors in a venture called High Fidelity, startted by the founder of LL and SL, Philip Rosedale.  But this doesn't mean that SL is doomed at any time in the foreseeable future.  

Whether inventory will be able to be migrated to the new world when the time comes isn't known yet.  LL at one stage said they want to make that possible as long as it doesn't compromise the functioning and experience of the new world.

Life's too short to worry about what might happen to SL (or indeed any other internet service) in the future, better to just jump back in and enjoy it!

The ONLY ones that can say whether SL will or won't be here are the Lindens. Everything I've seen from them states that as long as SL has a reasonable financial model, like it has now, It's not going anywhere.

As for inventory, since the model in Sansar is mesh and won't be using LSL but C#, chances are slim that any inventory witll be transferrable, much less work if it does. So, all that decide to go will be newbs together. As I said, I wouldn't worry about it since LL had said it would be opening limited beta by now...Hazsn't happened yet, has it?

By the logic being thrown around...I shouldn't go to the local grocery store and spend money because it might be replaced by a new one in 2 years. 2 years from now has nothing to do with now.

Nyx Drezelan wrote:

I'm also noticed that my avatar looks way better when in shape editing mode than when I am out of it and walking around;
which way do others see my avatar?

What are your best tips for keeping my avatar fairly low lag? I'm unfamiliar with how hairstyles and such work now that prim counts are basically not counted anymore?

You cannot control how others may see your avie. Different windlights, not rezzing completely, etc.  As long as you set up your avie to please yourself you're a success.

Tip:  When trying on anything: skin, hair, clothing, etc set your windlight to Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim to check out the goods before purchasing. Demo everything initially until you find some  designers you can trust.

Bobbie Faulds wrote: as long as SL has a reasonable financial model, like it has now, It's not going anywhere..

Which is what the Montgolfier Brothers and Herr Von Zeppelin said when people suggested that their type of air travel was doomed.

Bobbie Faulds wrote: By the logic being thrown around.. I should not be riding a horse to work

FIFY!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.