Newbie-I need help-PLZ!

ChloeAnn32

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings All:

I am VERY new to Second Life-less than 2 hrs. LOL

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to where I can find the following information.

1. How do I change my appearance (skin color, clothing, and hair)?

2. How does one find employement?

3.Is there anywhere I can find informationpr someone  that would literally "show me the ropes"?

Any information is appreciated. I tried looking at tutorials on You-tube but it seems like i'm missing something. I thought you could customize what I look like instead of getting a generic version of a female avatar. Is it going to change everytime i log in?

Please help!

Chloe Ann

Hi Chloe Ann,

I am sorry you are having so much trouble!  SL can be a bit daunting at first for sure.  But hang in there it does get better i promise *smiles*.

Skin, clothing and hair are easy to find just do a search for each one under classifieds and a million places will come up.  The better ones cost money.  Otherwise do a search for Freebie or Newbie or yardsale, garagesale or resale to find "used" low cost items.  Skin and hair are generally non transferable and you just wear them to change you appearance.  And it stays that way until you change it to something else, not when you log off.

Do a search to find employment by search for employment under classifieds.  But really most of it is x rated.  There is not much money to be made in SL. 

There are classes in Second life.  Go under events in search and then narrow it down to education.  Lots of options and times.

Good luck and have fun!

Lilith Tammas

ChloeAnn32 wrote:

Greetings All:

I am VERY new to Second Life-less than 2 hrs. LOL

I was wondering if anyone could direct me to where I can find the following information.

1. How do I change my appearance (skin color, clothing, and hair)?

3.Is there anywhere I can find informationpr someone  that would literally "show me the ropes"?

Any information is appreciated. I tried looking at tutorials on You-tube but it seems like i'm missing something. I thought you could customize what I look like instead of getting a generic version of a female avatar. Is it going to change everytime i log in?

Please help!

Chloe Ann

Welcome to Second Life. I am placing a very useful link here that will help you with getting started ... PussyCat's Blog 

Welcome again:smileywink:

Chloe,

If you need a one to one help, I would advice you to go to the Welcome, Help and Orientation areas to find other older residents that are hanging around. Some of them would be able to help you. I'm not sure if you are in one of them now but if you are not it is easy to find the location for these areas.

Under your Landmark icon on your Sidebar, find the Library folder. At the bottom you will see three default landmarks for newbies. Teleport to one on them and start asking for help. I just spent about 2 hours today helping some newbies at one of the help areas.

Other than that,

Welcome to Second Life.

ChloeAnn32 wrote:

As a new resident trying to earn money, you should look for money trees. Most of the trees are set to give money to avatars that are 30 days old or less. So use your 30 days wisely. If you work hard, you should be able to harvest a couple thousand Linden dollars in that 30 days. For a list of money tree locations, see http://moneytree.wolfhavenproductions.com/ and look under the golden apple tree list.

For a little better avatar appearance, search for the Bravo Bravo money tree. A free avatar is provided there for new residents (skin, shape, clothes and hair). It will meet your immediate needs.

The SL wiki is a good place to start. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki

Infohubs are good places for newbies to get advice inworld as well. Check the destination guide under "newcomer friendly" 

Good luck, and welcome to second life. We were all new once, and it can be a little confusing at first. Give it a few weeks or so and you'll get the hang of it. I've been on SL for over 2 years and I learn something new every day, it seems. 

Cheers! 

Hey sweetie, trust me...when I signed up...my eyes were so tired from reading everything trying to figure out what to do.

Heres a hint...secondlife marketplace.

You'll be able to find cheap (possibly free) shapes, skins, hair, clothes, shoes, etc. Then all you'll need to do is find a sandbox to open up your boxes....if you have any troubles at all...feel free to contact me.(Especially if you're a bargain shopper/hunter)

Kaytie Carami

Enter "Caledon Oxbridge" into search and then teleport there. It provides the best "walk through" tutorial in SL, in my opinion. You will learn how to change shape, skin, clothes, etc.. It's also a "nutter" free environment which, in my experience, is more than can be said for most info-hubs.

Welcome to SL!

You have received a lot of great information here.  Your appearance will NOT change when you log off.  When you log in, you will appear as you did when you logged off.  No worries, you do not need to 'fix' it each time your relog.  That *would* be a pain in the arse!  Enjoy SL, explore and just 'be'.

Also, check out the Answers forum for issues that have been raise by others and answered.  Good luck!

Ian Undercroft wrote:

Enter "Caledon Oxbridge" into search and then teleport there. It provides the best "walk through" tutorial in SL, in my opinion. You will learn how to change shape, skin, clothes, etc.. It's also a "nutter" free environment which, in my experience, is more than can be said for most info-hubs.

I second this!  It is a better starting center than any other I have seen.

Keaira Karas wrote:

Chloe, IM me inworld. I'll be happy to help you.  And I can give you a job if you want. There are lots of jobs that are not xrated. 

Just IM Keaira Karas

Chloe - and if Keaira isnt around feel free to IM me (Zog Ozsvar), Im always happy to help

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to SL - and I give you kudos for having the know-how to ask for help :) Really am impressed with all of the info people have given, and there were no snarky answers.

My advice is to don't be afraid to ask people questions inworld. Most people are friendly if they see that you legitimately want to know about SL, and aren't trying to harass them or beg them for Lindens.

Regarding employment, I would focus on trying to learn the basics of SL first. I work at a clothing store, and it's hard to hire people when they haven't gotten the hang of adjusting the prims from their clothing to their body to make it fit properly, or how to open up boxes :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.