Shoutcast server

Imacoolguy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

if it's working fine why being confused? If it's not ok it won't work... simple.

if you need more info perhaps look here http://www.shoutcast.com/Home

I would recommend to rent a shoutcast server inworld, it's only a pretty small amount and it will keep your machine saved from a heavy load ánd possible ip attack. (broadcasting reveils your ip....)

Next to that you need sufficient bandwith to keep sl and your stream running. If you multiply your bitrate with the amount of possible listeners you see that you need quite some to keep it smooth.

Perhaps you already took care for it, but also think about your broadcasting license... without permission you'r working illegal, and there are pretty serious fees to pay when you'r caught. Next to a broadcasting license you also need a license to use the music you own, your private use is included when you buy it, but not for making it public as you do with broadcast or live dj gig.

You really need to think twice if you do this without license... when you'r busted you have to calculate a risk of about 6 to 10 usd for each song they find at your machine. Several people in Europe and USA already found out what their minute of fun costed. Some got a 100.000 /1000.000 "invitation" to pay for illegal use.

Don't think they don't know what you broadcast, every song has a code in it's file what registers the time, length and what song is used. I don't say you will get caught, but if they do.... you'r in real problems, they know even better than you what you used.

Imacoolguy wrote:

So i maked a shoutcast server i portforward it and it was working fine but im having a confusion does like for example
dat will work?I kinda need to dj 

Imacoolguy,

First of all. if you have installed and configured a D.N.A.S. Relay Server on a PC then at configuration time you could have taken the default Output Port designation of 8000. This would allow listeners to access any stream you are broadcasting through this Relay Server using the standard [ http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:8000 ] URL & Port string. This is also the URL that you would enter as the Sound URL on any parcel you DJ at.

You will need to make a pin-hole entry in both your PC's firewall settings and on the Modem/Router provided by your ISP. Make sure all incoming traffic to port 8000 is redirected [port forwarded] to your Relay PC. Make sure that the PC allows all incoming port 8000 traffic.

The [ http://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:8000/listen.pls ] URL & Port & MIME/TEXT Assist string is is used as a MIME Type to automatically launch the listener's default PC Media Player, usually the Microsoft Media Player or iTunes or VLC. You don't use this in SL.

Alwin's comments are mostly correct specifically the importance of you having the needed upload bandwidth to support the number of listeners you anticipate will be attached to your stream at each set. The rule of thumb is [ Broadcast kbps x the number of concurrent listeners x 2 ] kbps / 100 = mbps upload bandwidth needed just for the D.N.A.S. services. You actually need much more additional upload bandwidth to support your PCs SL session and any other concurrent PC activities that may be running at the same time as your session and DJing.

Leasing an External D.N.A.S. Relay Server makes much better sense for most DJs since it allows you to DJ with a lower speed Internet Connection. This way the buffering and concurrent stream broadcasting tasks [and upload bandwidth] are managed by your Relay Host Provider.

Regarding your legal status

Second Life is headquartered in the state of California, United States and this is the jurisdiction where the laws regarding the broadcasting of Copyright protected music apply and need to be adjudicated.

Generally, and in most case law, the "**Venue Owner**" in a real Life location is responsible for maintaining the needed rights licensing when hiring a DJ or entertainer. When you look at the actual language of this regulation this does not translate to SecondLife Virtual Venue Owners. The equivalent Venue definition looks to mean the Second Life platform provider, Linden Research.

I'm unaware if Linden Research maintains the needed EMI / ASCAP / BMI Media Rights licensing but they may in fact have one of these in place. The reason I mention this is that Linden Research use to maintain several default media streaming feeds and as such should have a some form of Media Rights Licensing agreement in place. [The general purpose licensing program does not have a broadcast program reporting requirement]

In all cases, you as the DJ should have a legal copy of all the music you broadcast. The usual license that comes with physical media [ Vinyl, CD, Cassette Tape ] purchased in the United States includes a grand-fathered fare-use provision clause that has been tested in court many times. The digital licensing of music media is an unenforceable mess in that all of us are technically violating someone's licensing rights by playing any song where our friends can hear it even in our own home. In fact, copying your legally downloaded digital song to your phone to listen to later is considered illegal by these nonsensical agreements.

This is why the fare-use provisions need to be vetted and tested and evolved in each and every country's court system. I'm all for media rights holders getting paid for their catalog but as in all things legal, I pay only the minimum needed licensing that I need to pay. Notice I said "media rights holders getting paid for their catalog". The reason is that rebroadcast licensing fees are never passed to the original performing artists. These fees go to the distribution companies and no further.

Now this requirement for the needed EMI / ASCAP / BMI Media Rights licensing shifts to you, the DJ & Station Owner, if you broadcast via a publicly accessible Internet Radio Station. I maintain an official Internet Radio Station and I have to pay the required minimum fees for this license for a non-profit broadcast source. Just having a semi-private relay service that you use to stream into a Second Life parcel does not expose you to this requirement.

So by all means, please buy your music from your favorite artists sale point. If you can get it direct from the artists's own website all the better. Otherwise, a nice account to Amazon, or iTunes, or Discogs, etc. covers your fair-use of the music on your parcel and at the venues you play it at within Second Life.

[Reality Check]

Yes I know that many of you will get your music for your library from You-Tube, Usenet Groups and/or torrent sites. If so, Yes, you are starting off on the wrong foot and can run afoul of other laws regarding the downloading of music from illegal sources. In this case you are on your own.

Alwin's nightmare scenario has happened to those who were caught downloading music from illegal sources. This act is jurisdictional in that if you live in let's say Germany, and are caught downloading music illegally, you can be burned at the steak there.

In all the years that Second Life has been in existence we have no definitive evidence of anyone being singled out for licensing enforcement violations for playing music as a DJ in a particular SL venue. There are plenty of [Mythical] warnings regarding this but none are true.

There is some anecdotal evidence of people being snagged for downloading music illegally but those "stings" are happening external to Second Life.

[Myths]

OK so lets say you purchased lots of music legally and downloaded it or ripped it to your PCs Music Library for rebroadcast using your legal copy of Spatial Audio's SAM Broadcaster Pro 2015.2.  The music does NOT have any secret [phone home] code in it to report to the [media rights] authorities that you have played it on the Internet.

In reality, any recorded music performance can have a linear signature created for it that allows it to be identified [on the basis of that signature] easily from a database of signatures. You see an example of this when you send a snippet of a song to the song recognition sites that allow you to determine the particular performance of a song and it's artists and the album it was released on.

Further, any Digitally offered song that you download from the POS [Point of Sale] site will usually have the digital meta-data information that identities that site as the origin of that particular digital performance. I use this information on my Internet Radio Station so folks can purchase the song by clicking on the link generated from those meta-tags. In this case, the meta-data is used to populate the fields on my Station Web Page. When someone purchases a song that I'm broadcasting using the link I provide I get a few cents as a commission [you have to buy a lot of songs for this to actually work] from Amazon - Weeeeeeeeee.

I have my SAM set up to NOT broadcast all the data available in those meta-tags in the stream. I've programmed SAM to send only the performing artist name and the song title.

So, can someone listening to one of the songs in my stream generate a signature of the song and match it to the original artists performance? Of course. That's the whole purpose of this technology. If they happen to be some online Radio Station Monitoring group they are welcome to look up my licensing information. In reality these groups actually are used to "sample" the plays of songs external to the Station Playlist Reports that professional stations are required to file. It allows them to accurately report the average mean "plays" of captured song samples on the Internet.

So, does this online Radio Station Monitoring group hang out in Second Life to catch scofflaws? Nope. [Yeah, all those social Media Style NCs warning you as a DJ to scrub your song titles and artists names are just BS.]

Mind you, having accurate artist names and song title attributions are the sign of a professional. Be a pro! But be one legally.

ok i used to be a DJ here in SL--- on this acct and on a few of my WAYYYYY older accts and i will paste my instructions for you here---

BEAR with me with this READ BELOW--the simple instructions for you

1. Down load plug in from shout cast -DSP .....after that register your stream

2. Winamp=> Options=> Preferences=> Plugins=> DSP effect=> Nullset shoutcast (top option)

3. SL=> Stream Status info box (from ur inventory) => Rez it (after u rez it copy ur info into your notes of ur profile to save it all there)

4. winamp => options => (redo step 2)

5. output box in Winamp=> (place in the info from step 2 in the box- your codes)

6. Input is 96kbts (shout cast Box)

7. Output in (shoutcast source window) => click connect to stream

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.