Is it wrong to break into people's houses?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Vania Chaplin wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Matty Luminos wrote:

I don't have a house in SL now but when I did, it mattered not one jot to me if anyone else wandered through while I'm not there. It's not like they can damage anything or leave used condoms on the floor. I wouldn't even know they'd been there (unless I used a visitor counter, I guess). But I wouldn't want to have strangers wandering in while I was there.

its never clear cut though, once i had a fairly large argument with an ex GF because our bed had been used and i was of course blamed, another time a couple just rezzed in our home, 2 weeks ago someone just appeared in our garden and started talking to us, quite unwanted btw and kicked out.

kinda breaks the mood eh?

after reading the arrogant posts of some of the members here i decided to get full security 2 days ago.

ok you may say, big deal, but its another hassle i can do without, forced on me by people who think its fine to do whatever they like wherever they like.

respect, try it sometime.

Hmm, I think I was following the worng topic. In the topic I'm following I can remember just one poster that was repeatedly arrogant.

how so?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've noticed over the years in SL is that if it's a door, they will open it and walk right it or pound on it, if it's locked.  If it's just a flexi-prim curtain across the door, they rarely ever bother you.  It's like the door is a challenge for them. 

My place is rarely locked, given that one part is my shop and the other is my workshop.  The workshop is the only place I tend to banline, and usually that's because I don't want someone walking in between my camera and my avatar.  I've also done it when I've had a really bad day RL side and am not as social feeling as I usually am. 

When I'm not there, I don't care.  There really isn't much for people to interact with, since it's a workshop and a shop.  But when I did have a home, with a bed, if I caught anyone having fun in my bed, I broke out the score cards and gave critiques of their performance.  Amazing how quickly that drove 'em off.

When I explore, I stay out of places that have doors or are clearly private places. (Hint: Most businesses have a sign outside and in their about land)  I might cam in, but usually, even that's rare for me to do and I never do it if I know someone is there.  I also don't go clicking on everything that allows it.  It's all too easy to wind up in some compromising positions.

Vania Chaplin wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Matty Luminos wrote:

I don't have a house in SL now but when I did, it mattered not one jot to me if anyone else wandered through while I'm not there. It's not like they can damage anything or leave used condoms on the floor. I wouldn't even know they'd been there (unless I used a visitor counter, I guess). But I wouldn't want to have strangers wandering in while I was there.

its never clear cut though, once i had a fairly large argument with an ex GF because our bed had been used and i was of course blamed, another time a couple just rezzed in our home, 2 weeks ago someone just appeared in our garden and started talking to us, quite unwanted btw and kicked out.

kinda breaks the mood eh?

after reading the arrogant posts of some of the members here i decided to get full security 2 days ago.

ok you may say, big deal, but its another hassle i can do without, forced on me by people who think its fine to do whatever they like wherever they like.

respect, try it sometime.

Hmm, I think I was following the worng topic. In the topic I'm following I can remember just one poster that was repeatedly arrogant.

Is someone calling me arrogant here, or have I been quoted by mistake?

Bunky Snowbear wrote:

Ahh, but how do I know they are private if they have no barriers? Surely if people were concerned about trespassers, they would install security.

If you were walking down the street in RL and you noticed someone wasn't home, would you walk into their house? Even if it was unlocked? Think about it...

I don't have my land set to ban everyone and their grandmother, but that doesn't mean, when I sign on, I want to find my poseballs rezzed and know that people were playing around with my stuff. I don't want everyone having slex in my house with their grandmother either.  Would you?

There are many places you can go that aren't private homes and you should be able to tell the difference. If I want you inside my house I'll invite you to come in, otherwise it's just rude.

That being said, IM me one day and I'll invite you over... I do like showing it off... lol. wink-kiss.gif

...Dres

ETA: Oh I didn't mention... my doors are always locked, but that doesn't always stop people from entering where it's clear they aren't wanted. Guess I'm not really all that concerned or I'd have a security orb. I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

If anyone can actually find my house (hint: it's 333 ft in the air - only half as evil as the Beast) they are welcome to make use of the facilities. There's a radio, a cuddle chair, two pose balls, and four art galleries stacked above and below my room. My galleries were open to all and searching for "The Leominster Galleries" is simple.

However, I've given up on the use of barriers and ban lines in order to add to the excitement that someone may stumble across me in a compromising situation! I've joined the "Charlie Sheen" School for Charm and Etiquette so being drunk and naked in my own house doesn't worry me at all.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

you are on my banned list now.

Now you're on mine ;-)

PS: A security device needs no more than one prim.  Your 10 second orb is downright rude, unless it's set up where it would be impossible for anyone to enter its zone by accident.  Zedd Zeddmore's orb is L$100 and has all the features anyone would want.

You blame the need for an orb on tresspassers, but your need is equally attributable to your own desires.  You have the right to buy land you can set up ban lines on.  You have the right to use a security orb.  You have the right to put people on your ban list.  But do you have the right to expect everyone to share your values?  I say you do not, even though your values may be perfectly reasonable.

Lear Cale wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

you are on my banned list now.

Now you're on mine ;-)

PS: A security device needs no more than one prim.  Your 10 second orb is downright rude, unless it's set up where it would be impossible for anyone to enter its zone by accident.  Zedd Zeddmore's orb is L$100 and has all the features anyone would want.

You blame the need for an orb on tresspassers, but your need is equally attributable to your own desires.  You have the right to buy land you can set up ban lines on.  You have the right to use a security orb.  You have the right to put people on your ban list.  But do you have the right to expect everyone to share your values?  I say you do not, even though your values may be perfectly reasonable.

i have the right to expext everyone on my land to obey my rules.

if had enough of twits like you thinking they can dictate what i do on the land i pay for.

rent your own land, then you can do as you wish with it. duh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.