Is it wrong to break into people's houses?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bunky Snowbear wrote:

In response to Kidd Krasner "Merely walking through one parcel at a time seems a most inefficient way to go about things."

Sure it is, but that's the whole point. It's the spirit of adventure, surprise, discovery etc that has got me doing what I am doing, and loving it too!

you are on my banned list now.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my former home in Mainland, I had 4608 sq m, with 512 used for my home and 512 for the home of a friend. The remained terain was a garden, with a small river across the plot, ending in a pond, with ducks and fish.

I have never had any problem with people around the garden, as far as they saty nice, but never allowed strangers inside my home. In fact, I subdivided the space for the homes, so we could set different permissions (entry, run scripts, etc) differently in each placejin ho.jpgpartial view of my formr home.

I always hated ban lines, think they are ugly, and hate it when I fly into them always unexpectedly

I think it is reasonable to lock doors and expect others to stay out, I can not understand the attitude that it is OK to just "break in" even if there is no one home.  But people who will lock their doors but leave the windows completely uncovered while they bump hips puzzles me.

And I always thought security orbs was going to an extreme, but could change my mind if I lived in a higher traffic area.

Imho,  I would not intentionally go into someone else's home.  I have done it by accident,  but I quickly left.

I lovee to check out homes, and furniture etc,  so I go to the places where they sell them - and you can use the tub, test the shower, peek in the fridge.  It's tons of fun!  Someday,  you might want to buy a home of your own - and then you'll have a good idea of what is out there. 

I've explored,  and no doubt walked around on someone's property - but if they do not ban me from doing so,  I believe they want people to explore and admire their creations.  If I see someone,  I speak ...  if I'm asked to leave, I do so politely,  and I don't go back.

I find it extremely irritating when I'm flying around looking for land to buy and I can't cross because someone has the air banned.  I lock my front door,  but I live in a Linden home,  so there is no such thing as privacy. 

imagessfsfs.jpg

Tolya Ugajin wrote:

Perfectly OK. It's not RL - it's SL.  The mess is easy to clean, and there ARE ways to keep people out if they want to.  But, if you get yelled at, it would behoove you to say "sorry - I'll leave now" and be polite.

its a pity you said that.

it basically means there are  no morals required.

and you cant stop camming unless you have your own sim.

My home and yard are set up so that others can visit, hang out, and generally enjoy themselves. I love having people randomly pop up at my house, and they do so fairly often, considering that it is on an island. One of my favorite experiences was having a group of noobs show up out of the blue in my yard. They liked my garden and wanted to take pictures in it for a school project about sl. I was so amused I took pictures of them and have it in my picks. To me, this kind of wacky randomness is one of the things that makes sl fun.

I recently changed my house and grounds to fit a more victorian gothic look. The neighbors have been stopping by to admire the work I have done. The irony of being in a virtual world, where a person can go anywhere and do anything, and having the neighbors stop by for a visit has not escaped me.

To the OP, I don't have banlines or security orbs because everyone is welcome at my home. Should you run across my land, feel free to step inside out of the sun. There are lots of squishy chairs to rest weary bones on. Have a glass of wine, wander the house freely, and know that if I happen to log in while you are there, I will be charmed and delighted to have a visitor.

Agreed Toyla. And I am more than happy to be on Dogboat's banned list. SL by it's very nature is not subject the same laws of physics and mobility as RL. Some things need to be reconsidered. But I agree that basic manners and respect are also needed. If I am passing through a sim and I'm asked to leave, I do so without fuss. I admit to breaking into a couple of  unoccupied houses in the past (mostly out of boredom), but I won't do that anymore, on consideration of the sensitivities of half the people who have commented here. On the flip side, the other half have said that they welcome uninvited guests, whether they ar there or not.

I worked really hard on my property and it was really big and the outer grounds and hedge maze were created for people to wander around and sit in. I even had a playground inside the maze with a working gumball machine, so it disappointed me anytime I looked in and nobody was there enjoying it.

My main house was another matter entirely. If I was there with my bf, or my 'playmates" when I was single, it would have felt like a violation for someone to suddenly show up or to look out a window and see them facing the window and obviously scanning the place. No can do. I had cameras, an orb, and locked doors. The orb and cameras felt silly because they were too much in comparison to keeping people out with just a locked door in RL, but that's what it takes in SL. My house is for me and my friends and invited guests to enjoy. So were my poseballs. Finding someone using them was about as icky when it happened as finding someone using my "bedroom technology" in RL would feel.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

its a pity you said that.

it basically means there are  no morals required.

and you cant stop camming unless you have your own sim.

Camming is nothing.  Who cares about the camming.  No one can see/hear your IM chat.  No one can feel your feelings.  No one can read your thoughts.

ETA:  I just do not care to have a stranger standing over me while I am busy.

My parcel is set up with multiple levels that I use. Not only do I not mind people using most of them, I even have a pair of Stargates (best way to get around SL, hands down) on my parcel just so people can find it, and an all access teleport pad near them to easily move around.

If you're going to build something interesting, show it off, I say.

If you don't want people on your parcel, put up a sign, or put up ban lines- but by everything holy, don't use a 10 second orb or ban lines just inside a sim crossing. They're hell on vehicles.

Is it wrong to *break* in? Probably.  But if there are no barriers to break--no ban lines, no locks, no security--then one is simply entering, not breaking in.  I think that there are enough security options around for anyone who wants to warn people off to do so easily.  Unlocked doors, in my opinion, may be opened--why else leave them unlocked?  Just to be clear, I have written into my land description that I don't mind people exploring my property if I'm not around. 

Gadget Portal wrote:

My parcel is set up with multiple levels that I use. Not only do I not mind people using most of them, I even have a pair of Stargates (best way to get around SL, hands down) on my parcel just so people can find it, and an all access teleport pad near them to easily move around.

If you don't want people on your parcel, put up a sign, or put up ban lines- but by everything holy, don't use a 10 second orb or ban lines just inside a sim crossing. They're hell on vehicles.

i ask you to refer to the threads title.

signs are pointless in a moral free world.

ban lines are not allowed where i am.

an orb system appears to be the cheapest way forward as i can easily make one.

i can't factor your requirements on land that i pay for.

besides, some  want to show the builds they make, i dont,

i just want a peaceful SL.

It is simple.

If you do something that someone else probably won't like you doing and it bothers them, it is very likely wrong.

So when you find a house with security or locked doors, a house you can't just walk into, someone probably doesn't like you entering it and exploring every corner.

In my sim we have the same rules as in RL, if we see you in someone elses apartment and their door is locked, we ask you to leave.

If you are caught again you risk being ejected/banned, or if you are roleplaying a burgler you can do time in our police station cell!

The bed has no blankets!

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

i ask you to refer to the threads title.

signs are pointless in a moral free world.

ban lines are not allowed where i am.

an orb system appears to be the cheapest way forward as i can easily make one.

i can't factor your requirements on land that i pay for.

besides, some  want to show the builds they make, i dont,

i just want a peaceful SL.

So use a 45 second or 60 second security orb. Even 30 seconds can be enough, if it's not right after a sim crossing. Give 'em five minutes, even. Just give 'em enough time to leave before they're stuck in a funny animation and you're stuck with a vehicle on your property.

So use a 45 second or 60 second security orb. Even 30 seconds can be enough, if it's not right after a sim crossing. Give 'em five minutes, even. Just give 'em enough time to leave before they're stuck in a funny animation and you're stuck with a vehicle on your property.

my orb is 10 seconds, it was free and no mod.

i can't say i care about you and your  vehicle on my land.

you aren't wanted and i dont pay my tiers to cater for others.

5 mins indeed, lol.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

5 mins indeed, lol.

If you've got an orb that kicks people out already, what are you complaining about? Keep using it and live with the loss of a single prim (it shouldn't take more than one), or accept the consequences.

My advice was to people who want to keep tresspassers out without inconveniencing anyone.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

5 mins indeed, lol.

If you've got an orb that kicks people out already, what are you complaining about? Keep using it and live with the loss of a single prim (it shouldn't take more than one), or accept the consequences.

My advice was to people who want to keep tresspassers out without inconveniencing anyone.

set it up an hour ago.

i lose a prim.

shouldnt have to but thanks to you and others trespassing i cant avoid it.

thanks again.

I did that rather a lot when I was new; I just sort of figured that was the norm. I no longer do so. As you've seen, some people care not a fig, some have modifiable limits, some have extreme views. I personally hate banlines and would never use them but I did finally get an orb after being walked in on a couple of times. It has a very limited range centered on my upstairs bedroom. I've had chats with strangers on the deck outside with no problems. To me that works pretty well.

Enjoy your walk. It's in a grand tradition.

Is it wrong? It shouldn't even be a question, my friend!

Breaking and entering is one of the many sins discouraged by our Lord Jesus Christ. Surely you'd know that if you attended church every Sunday. You should avoid from doing the wrong of breaking into houses.

Don't be tempted. Temptation comes from the devil and there is no good that comes from that is there!!!

All the best! :robottongue:

I don't have a house in SL now but when I did, it mattered not one jot to me if anyone else wandered through while I'm not there. It's not like they can damage anything or leave used condoms on the floor. I wouldn't even know they'd been there (unless I used a visitor counter, I guess). But I wouldn't want to have strangers wandering in while I was there.

Matty Luminos wrote:

I don't have a house in SL now but when I did, it mattered not one jot to me if anyone else wandered through while I'm not there. It's not like they can damage anything or leave used condoms on the floor. I wouldn't even know they'd been there (unless I used a visitor counter, I guess). But I wouldn't want to have strangers wandering in while I was there.

its never clear cut though, once i had a fairly large argument with an ex GF because our bed had been used and i was of course blamed, another time a couple just rezzed in our home, 2 weeks ago someone just appeared in our garden and started talking to us, quite unwanted btw and kicked out.

kinda breaks the mood eh?

after reading the arrogant posts of some of the members here i decided to get full security 2 days ago.

ok you may say, big deal, but its another hassle i can do without, forced on me by people who think its fine to do whatever they like wherever they like.

respect, try it sometime.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Matty Luminos wrote:

its never clear cut though, once i had a fairly large argument with an ex GF because our bed had been used and i was of course blamed, another time a couple just rezzed in our home, 2 weeks ago someone just appeared in our garden and started talking to us, quite unwanted btw and kicked out.

kinda breaks the mood eh?

after reading the arrogant posts of some of the members here i decided to get full security 2 days ago.

ok you may say, big deal, but its another hassle i can do without, forced on me by people who think its fine to do whatever they like wherever they like.

respect, try it sometime.

Hmm, I think I was following the worng topic. In the topic I'm following I can remember just one poster that was repeatedly arrogant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4776 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.