Ya know Mesh Import shouldn't take more than a week and this is month 6

Kaiser Bogomil

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Obviously someone's wrong on how long it should take to develop mesh for the grid.  My bet is that you are the one who's wrong.  Or if you, by chance, are some mesh genius, then perhaps you could suggest something the LL dev's and coders don't know.

Again, I'm betting against you.:smileyhappy:

• Like 2

That be the first time Lindens do something quick. With the weekly server-rollouts we allready have enough to cope.

I hope they wait till all the important questions are answered and then release Mesh on the MG.

...Prim Count...Upload Cost...Size Limits... and more more more 

Mesh import and setting it for share paid/freebie should be set to verified sellers from past, eg. those with clear sales history thru last year or so! No newbies, no alts! If not for share/sell should be allowed to any account (only in case that sim is non commercial one).

I mean there is no sales on land!

Simple filters: If you rent island and like to set it all with mesh and you are week old you are free to go and upload, but you can't set anything for sale.

For users verified with rl data like age+premium there should be no problems with enabling uploaded content for sale as those can be easily traced anytime.

Do you agree?

The bottom line is that we could have had mesh a long time ago. These are decisions not technical reasons. Right now, the claim is that LL is working out all the details, which I consider most of those details to be BS. Prim cost has some relevance, but everything else is total BS, and does not change a single thing about whether some1 will use mesh.

Again, tho, these are all management decisions. All we needed was a simple uploader to control the objects being brought in, all this extra stuff was a decision, not a technical need. We also did not need avatar meshes before coming to the main grid, again a decision.

Even tho I'm almost useless with actual code, I still understand that mesh not being in SL is less a technical issue as it is LL's managerial decisions.

I have been actually rather happy with the progress going on with Mesh. Office hours and new updates every so often.

I would hate to have them roll it out to the main grid after I and many other people have uploaded many things only to find I have to reupload them at an actual L$ cost to me, or even worse have to redesign the meshes from scratch cause they do not work with a rushed main grid update after the initial rollout. Just my two cents...

• Like 1

Medhue, may I respectfully suggest that if you think LL is taking too long to develop mesh, that you can always go over to teh opensim project and volunteer to help them code mesh into their version of SL. I suspect that once you start digging into the code you will quickly change your mind and become much more tolerant of what progress LL is making on mesh.

hibit Spad wrote:

Medhue, may I respectfully suggest that if you think LL is taking too long to develop mesh, that you can always go over to teh opensim project and volunteer to help them code mesh into their version of SL. I suspect that once you start digging into the code you will quickly change your mind and become much more tolerant of what progress LL is making on mesh.

Where did I imply that it was easy? I simply stated that the reason we don't have mesh, right now, is not a technical issue. Half of coding anything is making decisions. These decisions can lead a product to market faster, or they can slow the process of getting the product to market significantly. Projects can go on for years and years, but at any point, if the decision was made to bring it to market, then it would be there.

Again, this is about decisions, not technical issues.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

hibit Spad wrote:

Where did I imply that it was easy? I simply stated that the reason we don't have mesh, right now, is not a technical issue. Half of coding anything is making decisions. These decisions can lead a product to market faster, or they can slow the process of getting the product to market significantly. Projects can go on for years and years, but at any point, if the decision was made to bring it to market, then it would be there.

Again, this is about decisions, not technical issues.

It is not technical in the sense that mesh import works (on the beta grid). We know it works because we are importing meshes. But many of the decisions you mention, that has to be made, are decisions regarding technical issues. Other issues than the actual import. Decisions on what direction to take, what method to go with, on issues affected by mesh imports. As far as LL are concerned, mesh is new. It has not been done in SL before, so the data on the consequences of doing things in one way as opposed to another is, largely, unknown. Because of this, it will take time. Assessing how mesh affects other aspects of SL - be it viewer, sim servers, asset servers - require a lot of data to be gathered, and that is going to take time on the beta grid. The full impact, though, is not going to be known until mesh hits the main grid, so lets hope the decisions made now are the right ones.

Then there are the legal and policy decisions....

I'd rather wait a while longer to, hopefully, get a solution that works...

- Luc -

Where did I imply that it was easy? I simply stated that the reason we don't have mesh, right now, is not a technical issue. Half of coding anything is making decisions. These decisions can lead a product to market faster, or they can slow the process of getting the product to market significantly. Projects can go on for years and years, but at any point, if the decision was made to bring it to market, then it would be there. Again, this is about decisions, not technical issues. Medhue Simoni Decisions about technical issues are technical issues in and of themselves! Everything about coding mesh is a technical issue with a few policy issues thrown in to muddy the paperwork. Methinks you have never programed anything beyond a hello world application.

The problem is that everyone is here guessing about what's been the real hold-up with mesh; technical crawls, policy decisions, other work on other dependency systems and so on. 

If you're optimistic, you're guessing up good reasons mesh isn't out now and maybe not out in 3 more months and advising "be patient".

That's fine and all, but we're dealing with a company that has a lot on its plate so it isn't exactly pessimism to wonder where mesh is on the totem pole given the unusual length of this open beta and the lack of any publicized progress. 

In short, Linden Lab has to drop the whole "when its ready' deal. Cliche in the realm of software and especially MMOs; but usually to customers you don't yet have, not the ones who're already paying and trying to think strategically with the resources they have invested in Second Life.

How many people are out there thinking about a new sim build, but doesn't want to waste time doing it in regular prims and sculpties 'less mesh is 'ready' two weeks from now? How many people have simply been demotivated to continue sculpty sorcery for their stores knowing all the trickery is pointless given mesh when it comes?

It's like the Lab wants the best of both worlds: everyone to be excited about mesh, beta it and begin plans for it, yet they don't want the responsibility of publicizing any timeline with it and be honest when its probably coming out.

Yes Rod said they'd talk time tables before this month is out, maybe, and we'll see about that.

Anyway, it'd be nice if the Lab at least made a Q# prediction of when. Sure, Saying not until the latter end of this year if not January would completely deflate interest in the beta and mesh period, but at least it'd get people off rocking on their heels so that they can go back to creating for Second Life with mesh completely out of mind for now if it should be.

As I said in another thread, what they really need to do is put together a current list of bugs/complications that they are working through with Mesh on the beta grid. Much like a 'patch list' or a 'change log'.

This will give us, the residents, a good idea of what is holding up mesh, and make our own guesses as to when it will be out. It will also help us to provide a little more feedback and support to LL in finding solutions to the holdups.

Shame... I doubt we'll ever see anything like that though.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.