Bad seam between adiacent Uvmapped planes

Naiman Broome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello , I have a small texturing problem in world , I have this plane made of 8 faces squares in my mesh model , in 3dsmax the texture uvmapping is fine and I see no seam line , but in SL I see this gray line following the path of the junctions between the planes ...

http://i.imgur.com/uRxHDbm.jpg

How can I get rid of this and why in 3dsmax I do not have that?

On right the 3dsmax Uvmapping and on left the SL result , even tiling at 0.99 or less the line persists .

Do the islands in your UV map extend all the way to the edges of the UV space, or do you have a bit of border space around them? If your islands run all the way to the edge or slightly beyond, you could be seeing some ugly overlapping when you tile.  I have never be sure how much difference that border space makes, but I've always been careful to leave a few pixels empty just in case.

I agree with Rolig. It is important to leave space between the islands and add a bit of a buffered edge when you bake.

I don't have 3D Max but I am sure this must be an option. So hand mapping is good making sure that there is "extra" around each island and not so much extra that you get an ugly overlap. This seems to show up more when the LOD is set below 4 (like 2).  Do some tests on the beta grid and you will get a feel of how much "salvage" (a sewing term) you need for various types of shapes and sizes.

Naiman Broome wrote:

Hello , I have a small texturing problem in world , I have this plane made of 8 faces squares in my mesh model , in 3dsmax the texture uvmapping is fine and I see no seam line , but in SL I see this gray line following the path of the junctions between the planes ...

How can I get rid of this and why in 3dsmax I do not have that?

On right the 3dsmax Uvmapping and on left the SL result , even tiling at 0.99 or less the line persists .

Please show us what your UV map looks like. Chic and Rollig are right in that you need extra pixels around your UV islands (its called 'padding' btw :) ) unless you're doing a fully seamless/tiling texture. You can also get nasty seams when reducing the resolution of textures - I can see that the texture in 3dsmax is higher res than the one used in SL.

Like Ivan said, it would help if you could add some information. How did you set up your model? What do you want to achieve? How does your UV map look? How do your textures look?

Setting the repeat to less than 1.0 only works if you have a picture in the centre of your UV map, but is not seamless. It won't work when you have multiple islands, in that case it will just distort things.

If you used baked textures, the padding can be set in the Render to Texture window.

RTT.png

The bigger you set it, the more room you'll need around UV islands.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.