Getting Booted From My Internet Connection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This week I received and hooked up a new computer.  My previous one ran Windows Vista Home Basic on a 32-bit system.  The new computer uses Windows 7 Ultimate on a 64-bit system.  When I tried to log on to Second Life yesterday, I kept losing my Internet connection.  I don't know if this is an issue of compatibility, or if it's something else.  Also, since I saw nowhere to post this question that was relevant to the situation, I decided to post here.  Is this something related to viewer issues, or incompatibility with Windows 7?

Do you run into the same problem if you download one or more larger files with your internet browser? Several simultaneous downloads or streaming video might be a good way to test this.

Also, what kind of internet connection do you have, and how is your PC connected to your router or modem (ethernet or WLAN)? I have this issue when I use my UMTS / 3G connection instead of DSL, but I also ran into this problem when using a weak WLAN connection to my DSL router (on my terrace for example).

If you use WLAN, how good is your connection (how many green bars does it show)? If it's ethernet, did you try to change the patch cable between router and PC? You could also try to diagnose your connection (Start --> Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> View Network Status and Tasks --> Troubleshoot Problems).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

problem is, you can download an earlier version, 1.2.3 for example, but you have to have a first and last username to login. When opening a new SL account now, you have to choose a 1-word name which is only compatible with the new v.2. No way for me to play now without getting booted off of v.2.

• 1 year later...

Are you using Wifi? Are you using a poor quality/pre-installed/aging NIC?

Does the rest of your connection cut out for a moment as you crash out from SL?

If so, SL is likely overloading your NIC. Wired interfaces do better, but in some cases the problem can only be fixed by purchasing new hardware. Bear in mind that SL uses considerably more bandwidth and open connections than most services, and purchase accordingly.

As mentioned above, the Answers section may yield a better response than General Discussion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.