Copywrites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I understand Linden having to protect copywrites intellectual property but . . . . . . . .  They should be consistent. 

I had Budweiser beer, dads root beer pulled  and Walle, Eve robot toy pulled. I understand the walle and EVE I said in the description that if Disney has a problem with I will not sell it.   

But What about the Star wars, red Dwarf, Star trek, Doctor Who, Sailor moon, Anime, Harry potter, TRON, super hero stuff all violating copywrites.  I have a few of them my self like a TARDUS.

Lets be fair and stop all copywrite violations not just some who were successful as selling them!  That would be my guess someone who cannot sell stuff complained.

I sold a Walle, Eve and Mo robot toy and in 24 hours Linden pulled Walle and Eve the root beer and beer products

. I will make a SL beer and root beer and make my own label.

If Disney want part of the profit I have no problems or all of it for that matter.  The toys were fun, Walle made a cube of garbage and said TaDa.  Eve fired lasers and said walle with a shrug to name just two things they did.

If anyone wants them free just IM me. Maybe i will put them up on the market place for free.

It's "Copyright", not copywrite...

What will eventually come to pass is the same thing that the anime and Manga crowd in Japan had to put up with.  For a long time, Japanese law forbade using real product names in movies and in manga.  It did not matter if you had permission or not -- you couldn't have Minolta appear in a comic book.  So the artists began showing the following props and products instead:

Mimolta

Kobak

xerocks

Coda Cola

Minkey Mouse

Owdi

Toyrola

Boing aircraft

We will probably end up the same way.  And honestly, it's not a big deal.  In fact, finding the fake products in Manga and Anime became part of the fun -- a where's waldo and what is his real name game.  Disney may not like me selling a Wall-E robot.  but if the colors are slightly different and his name is Well-A?  Then the Disney lawyers can rage all they like -- not a copy of a copyrighted work anymore in any way shape or form.

Might also be why Linden is reluctant to do anything about without complaints. In the RL they would sue for being that close but might not win.

I would cost lots to sue someone for SL sales and gain what?   I made maybe $10 selling my Walle, EVE and Mo.  Hardly worth anyone in the RL to sue.

Make a few changes or reverse engineer and you get away with it.

Not sure what that show for the future of copyrights and patents.

FYI if one is diligent you can get a company to reverse engineer your product or circuit then make one from that and then you patents that as well.  You can also change it a bit and get patents for all variants.  Like misspellings.

Microsoft got away with stealing the look and feel of Lotus when they made Excel, They got away with stealing the THE look and fee of the Mac OS when they made windows.  They got away with stealing the look and fee of Novells NDS when they made active directory which looks nearly identical. 

So much for intellectual property.

• 1 month later...

Cori Sabena wrote:

Microsoft got away with stealing the look and feel of Lotus when they made Excel, They got away with stealing the THE look and fee of the Mac OS when they made windows.  They got away with stealing the look and fee of Novells NDS when they made active directory which looks nearly identical. 

So much for intellectual property.

They got away with it because they did not violate any trademark or copyright in the process. It was a new product that was merely inspired by somebody else's idea. Apple tried to sue MS nonetheless, but the court ruled that "Apple cannot get patent-like protection for the idea of a graphical user interface, or the idea of a desktop metaphor under copyright law".

It would have been different if MS had named their new operating system "Mac OS" or copied Apple's unique icons. That is basically what you did when you re-created Pixar's Wall•E in SL and used their trademarked name. It does not matter how much money you've earned, all that matters is that you weren't allowed to do so.

If you slightly change the design and call the product Walley or Will•EE, you don't violate Pixar's or Disney's intellectual property rights (although I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word for that). It might not seem much different to you, but it does make all the difference between a law violation and a perfectly legal commercial activity.

I think what Linden Lab will do is clear out violations when copyright holders complain, or sometimes if a resident complains about a particular item as well I imagine. That is all they are required to do I think. Disney and other big companies probably periodically send cease and desist orders (or some such) to LL, and at these points they will remove all the offending content they can find in blitzes.

However, because copyright is based around the idea of the copyright holder protecting their assets, it will never be equal across the board. Not all copyright holders will enforce at the same levels. Some will be strict (i.e. don't mess with Disney!) others will be lax, thus enforcement will always contain inequalities.

That's my theory anyway :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.