HELP I THINK IM BEING SCAMMED

IJanelleI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I asked someone to make me a shape/skin. At first he told me it only cost about 5k then later and later he told me to upload it was only around like 3k  and I asked him if I need to pay u anymore, he said no. But like 5 minutes later he told me he need 12k for the mesh head. I think he is scamming me. PLEASE HELP

What? Just say no and move on...

But by the way: Your description of the situation is confusing. First you say its about a shape and skin and later you say something about a mesh head? Not to mention that even 5k is way too low of a price for a custom made skin.

So is it a shape, a skin, or a shape and a skin? A creator is entitled to ask for as much as s/he likes for custom work, but 8K for a shape is a lot, and it wouldn't require an upload. Then there's the mesh head. That's not a skin or a shape. It's not clear what you've asked for, what you're expecting to receive and what the creator is providing. So it's hard to say if you're being scammed.

On the other hand... 8K total for a custom skin (if s/he's actually made one from scratch, it's truly custom, and the work is any good) is pretty good. But no-one should be asking for 3K "for the upload". A texture upload costs L$10, and a skin requires three textures. Or maybe you're talking about a mesh body? That'd involve more expensive uploads.

Being asked for piecemeal payment like this rings alarm bells. Either this person is conning you - escalation of commitment in this way is a classic trick to keep money coming in - or they are highly unprofessional. Any designer should provide a list of what they are providing and an ACCURATE quotation of what they will charge.

IJanelleI wrote:

I asked someone to make me a shape/skin. At first he told me it only cost about 5k then later and later he told me to upload it was only around like 3k  and I asked him if I need to pay u anymore, he said no. But like 5 minutes later he told me he need 12k for the mesh head. I think he is scamming me. PLEASE HELP

You made your specifications all in writing, yes? You agreed to a contract with deliverables and payments, yes? I don't see the problem then.

You are not being scammed if you are the one who initiated the deal.  If there was nothing in writing, then thank them and exit the engagement. 

i agree with most of them as well. when i do custom mods, i /always/ have contracts, stating what will be done, how long it will take, more details, and pricing. my mods usually start AT 3K, then go up from there. sometimes, however, i do request the buyer to pay for the uploads. when doing furry mods, you can run up as high as 20 textures. lol PLUS, mesh uploads. but if you just asked the person to make you a skin, and shape....there IS nothing to upload. except the skins components. Head, Lower Body, Upper Body. And if you use mesh hands and feet, textures for those as well. if their making you a mesh body, and it costs that much to upload it be weary. ask for screen shots. ALWAYS. if you are doing custom orders, the maker should not be afraid to show you screenshots of their work in progress. free programs such as Gyazo, make this so easy now! also, when i take screens for customers, i do capture some of my photoshop work space. and progress along the however many weeks its taking me to make the textures or meshes. gyazo can also take 15 seconds of video. great for showing meshes their working on. ive never uploaded a full body, but the upload price sounds horrid, as if they did the work, but didnt take the time to fix it, to where its more compatible, and playable. if this was a mesh body, and not just a system shape, did they make it to go along with the SL mesh? if not, and you buy a new skin texture down the road it may not fit. as for mesh heads. those for hoomans...are A LOT of work. thats hours and hours of work. specially if they are trying to be super specific in features. 12K is not bad for a hooman mesh head. (total cost wise). if this person is being sketchy, you can always back out. if you have not made any contracts, then there is nothing to break. i always get half up front when i start. which is non refundable. UNLESS i simply cannot finish a project, and i dont upload anything at all and is due to my fault. so, either ask for proof of work, and ask them to take a screenshot of the screen that says how much the upload cost IS. if they are asking for a large upload amount. the viewers always give a price! if they refuse to show the exact upload fee, then you are being scammed. and if they claim to not know how to take a screen shot their lying. lol like really, if they can do photoshop, and mesh programs...they take a screen for proof. xD hope you get this all figured out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.