New BB suplier and I get booted from SL after 2 mins.

Scripter Coba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm in the UK and just changed my broadband supplier to Orange. Now I get booted from SL after 2 mins every time. Any ideas? Is there some setting I don't know about?

So at the moment, I just can't *play*

=========================================================================

Oh dear. I am new at this and I can't see how to post to the thread.

I saw the neil robinson thing about DNS addresses (i think)

AND i can't believe this ... it is indeed a Netgear DGN 1000 SP router ... It won't stay connected ????!!!!! WHAT ????

17 answers to this question

Ok found how to reply now. It is indeed a DGN 1000 SP router. That's crazy that it won't stay connected. The second level support team in india fobbed me off with oh ... it takes 10 days for the line to stabilise ... I actually told them that was bull**bleep** !!! lol But They won't let me cancel till 30 days have elapsed. So it seems I have to wait

You have my sympathy (and that of all the other DGN 1000 owners) we tried everything from port forwarding to getting connections checked & we all end up in the same place, that we have to buy a new router :(

One person even went so far as to get the Netgear techs to open a support case & they waited and waited for call from an LL Tech to give them some info & it didn`t happen so the case got closed. *sigh*

I recognised the symptoms as soon as I saw your thread title lol

Thanks very much for your reply. This is a nightmare. I still have the router from my previous supplier (but I'm supposed to return it) and I must have dumped the router from the supplier before that. I'll play with the router i'm supposed to return.

Whose fault is it then? Netgear or SL ??

Good question about who to blame, I believe Netgear make other routers that do work so one would assume they should know how to set them up. LL don`t hide any info as far as ports and configurations, so I`m not sure what extra info it was that Netgear wanted from them.

I am running my desktop through my laptop, which is connected on a modem (because there are no windows 7 drivers for the modem to use that on the desktop) & I`m looking for a new ISP, I`ll be asking what router they supply before signing up now, I have crossed Orange off the list of potentials LOL :D

You can assume it's Netgear's fault on the basis that either the particular model does something it's not supposed to, or their other models allow something they aren't supposed to (which would mean SL is also doing something it isn't supposed to, and makes them partially complicit).

that's assuming it's just the router, and not something the ISP is doing inbetween. if a different router does not work, you might try contacting the ISP, and/or reviewing their policies to see if SL use is somehow limited. If it's not, and they are somehow blocking it, then you may be able to file a civil complaint of some type (I'm sorry, I don't know UK law well enough to say further)

@Void, it has definately always been the router in my case and previous ones that I have seen posted, we all go through the same suggestions and tests & nothing ever works, whereas all other methods of connecting to SL that we try with other modems/routers and the same ISP are fine. I am also in the UK but I don`t recall if all the others were.

The same thing happens with another router, I`ve been trying to recall the name of that one (not a Netgear one) but DGN1000 is a very common router which is why its that one that shows up more often.

thanks for the confirm on that, I only mentioned the ISP because another poster had mentioned that Orange may be filtering SL (although I didn't realize till I looked it up... Orange has fingers in the broadband pie over half the globe! so local policies may differ even if it were true in one area)

personally I like linksys for routers that work with minimal fuss the best... netgear is an iffy second follow by d-link, and belkin seems like nothing but headaches in my exp... haven't seen too many zonet's so not sure about those or other less common comercial brands)

I've been having the same problem since recently moving over to Orange and I too have this router (though I've been complaining to their level 2 tech support that the problem must be at their end, since I've tried everything at my end). I'll be on the phone to them tomorrow to ask for a replacement router or they can give me my migration code.

Why oh why didn't I find this thread earlier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.